Lance and reality

• 53 replies
Lance and reality
« on: April 20, 2009, 07:27:05 PM »
Everyone knows what an amazing player Lance is. If Lance was to chose St. Johns theres no doubt we would win more games that season and have better fan attendence. Me personally and most NY basketball fans would love to see Lance play for St Johns.

Having said all that, lets please be real with ourselves. If Lance was to come to St Johns for just one season before jumping to the league, honestly how much positive contribution would he have to the basketball program at St Johns as a whole. The team would be so relient on him for that one season, how will they adjust once hes gone? If Lance were to come here and perform well for one season, all you angry posters would be happy for one season, and then once he leaves everyone will have the same attitude they do now, so what good will it really accomplish?
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

Re: Lance and reality
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 07:28:57 PM »
If Lance comes, we win the NCAA's and everyone is happy for the next 60 years.

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 07:30:50 PM »
umm....no..even with Lance its highly unlikely St Johns will win the NCAA. Thats not being negative thats just being realistic.

sjd8886

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 07:36:07 PM »
media attention, first...second, seeing that given the opportunity (getting a top 10 recruit), norm can put a kid in the nba, other top recruits might give norm the same shot...also with recruiting, many recruits have mentioned that st johns would have been their destination, if it was a winning team, thus one winning season would help greatly if it produces more recruits...that being said i believe norm will never be a good coach, and eventually, in a big game (ncaa tournament) he will screw it up for the team, and all the good that could ever come from recruits pouring in would actually be condemning us to years of mediocrity, allowing us to be a possible sweet 16 team but never a final four team 

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 07:40:39 PM »
yea the only positive effect i can think of is it might boost future recruiting. But that still doesnt adress the questions i raised in the first post.

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 07:50:55 PM »
Norm can say i at least put someone in the NBA LOL. Lance coming could inspire others to take a chance on STJ.

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 08:30:34 PM »
Norm can say i at least put someone in the NBA LOL. Lance coming could inspire others to take a chance on STJ.

If Lance gets into the NBA, Lance will (deservingly) get all the credit, not Norm. Lance could go to a D3 school and hed still make it to the NBA. Like i said before, it still doesnt adress the questions i was raising earlier.

pmg911

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 08:43:13 PM »
umm....no..even with Lance its highly unlikely St Johns will win the NCAA. Thats not being negative thats just being realistic.

Even with Lance its highly unlikely St. John's makes the NCAA tournament next year.

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 08:46:01 PM »

Even with Lance its highly unlikely St. John's makes the NCAA tournament next year.

not true...obviously its impossible to predict to future but St Johns would def make the tournament at the end of the season and will even be ranked at some point throughout the season.

pmg911

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 08:48:27 PM »

not true...obviously its impossible to predict to future but St Johns would def make the tournament at the end of the season and will even be ranked at some point throughout the season.

Your optimism is great but prepare yourself to be disappointed...

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 08:53:54 PM »
Everyone knows what an amazing player Lance is. If Lance was to chose St. Johns theres no doubt we would win more games that season and have better fan attendence. Me personally and most NY basketball fans would love to see Lance play for St Johns.

Having said all that, lets please be real with ourselves. If Lance was to come to St Johns for just one season before jumping to the league, honestly how much positive contribution would he have to the basketball program at St Johns as a whole. The team would be so relient on him for that one season, how will they adjust once hes gone? If Lance were to come here and perform well for one season, all you angry posters would be happy for one season, and then once he leaves everyone will have the same attitude they do now, so what good will it really accomplish?

I don't really see anyway it hurts us even if he only comes for one year.  Obviously if he's a complete headcase he could disrupt whatever chemistry the team has but I don't think it would be a big adjustment the following year.

If he somehow gets us to the NCAA it will give Norm some credibility with other big time recruits.  Norm will be able to say he got someone to the NBA and was able to win when he got a big time recruit.

Look at OJ Mayo and USC...USC became a destination for recruits again once he committed there.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 08:56:28 PM »

not optimistic, realistic...St Johns beat notre dame and swept georgetown. They kept many games close agaisnt high powered teams, BC and Duke were close games. Some of the final scores of games are misleading but even with Uconn and other ranked BE teams St Johns kept the game close or tied at various points in the game. Next year we will only improve as our current player mature, the addition of Mase, the addition of Omari and Dwight to add depth at that position, and 3 other possible recruits we may or may not get. Either way, with the addition of Lance and all these factors just mentioned the tourney is practically a given.

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 08:58:04 PM »

not optimistic, realistic...St Johns beat notre dame and swept georgetown. They kept many games close agaisnt high powered teams, BC and Duke were close games. Some of the final scores of games are misleading but even with Uconn and other ranked BE teams St Johns kept the game close or tied at various points in the game. Next year we will only improve as our current player mature, the addition of Mase, the addition of Omari and Dwight to add depth at that position, and 3 other possible recruits we may or may not get. Either way, with the addition of Lance and all these factors just mentioned the tourney is practically a given.

not to mention the big east will be a significantly weaker confrence next season.

boo3

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 08:59:49 PM »

How ironic you used the term REALITY in the title of this thread.   How many teams did the big east get into Tourney this year?  7?  In what was perhaps the best conference ever.  You think St. Johns will be in top seven of Big east next year?  Or will they get 10 teams in the NCAAs next year?  I don't see it.  Agree with PMG,  admire the optimisim,  but lets not get silly.

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 09:06:35 PM »

How ironic you used the term REALITY in the title of this thread.   How many teams did the big east get into Tourney this year?  7?  In what was perhaps the best conference ever.  You think St. Johns will be in top seven of Big east next year?  Or will they get 10 teams in the NCAAs next year?  I don't see it.  Agree with PMG,  admire the optimisim,  but lets not get silly.

read my last two posts

boo3

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 09:17:26 PM »
  St John's average margin of defeat last year was something like 16 pts,  so i don't get your point there. There were no close games.This team averages 1.2 victories a year on the road during the Roberts era.  I guess that will all  change too with Lance.  I agree that the BE  will be weaker next year, but thats my point.  How many teams get in then?  Less than this year?  5?  St.john's a top 5 team in big east next year?  I don't think so.   BTW   Georgetown sucked this year.  especially at the end of the season.

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 09:39:43 PM »
like i said you cant judge a game by the final score....for example st johns was 2 points behind duke with less than 2 minutes left, a game can get out of control in the last few minutes. in a one possesion game with less then 2 minutes less lance wont be able to contribute? ofcourse he will. i believe we were actually leading uconn at the half in one of our games.dont judge a game on the final score.

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 09:44:28 PM »
and beating louisville at half and within i think 5 against pitt at half...

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 09:48:28 PM »
Reality is we need to score more points, Lance knows how to do that. Reality is the Big East will be down from last year, his talent should push us up

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 09:57:32 PM »
and beating louisville at half and within i think 5 against pitt at half...

yup