Louisville Post Game Discusssion

• 57 replies
Re: Louisville Post Game Discusssion
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2010, 02:23:36 AM »
Back to basketball for a minute.  Why did Burrell only play 7 minutes?  There is no other excuse unless he's hurt.  Xhoops,  this is your cue.....

Inexcusable.  For Justin more than just about anyone else, I want him to have a real coach in his senior year.

I didnt see the game(I have it on DVR) but did Burrell play only 7 mins?

We have the worst passing guards I have ever seen, Im not even sure if you can blame that on the coaches, But from the games Ive been at this year(Siena,Providence) Burrel has flashed and our guys cant get him the ball,. I said this before, Justin needs to grab these guys and demand the ball. Enough is enough

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2010, 02:28:52 AM »
Justin had one dunk/layup that got blocked and another baseline look which fell short of the rim. Those were his only two looks at the basket today. He barely saw the floor it was ridiculous.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2010, 05:05:11 AM »
I only saw the game in drips and drabs - but 15 pts in 21 minutes of play -
6 of 11 from field - 2 of 3 from three?

What was so bad about that?

boo3

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2010, 08:08:51 AM »
And with respect to the Lamont argument:

Guys, I say this as a person and not as a mod, respect the "don't call the Coach 'Lamont'".  I say this in part because I was looking around at some stuff on Paul Hewitt yesterday (some Georgia Tech message board linked to my blog and some notes about Hewitt).  And the stuff they say... I mean, it's Georgia, and they're backwards a-holes, but it's bizarre stuff and name calling and people just twisting words to holler about "reverse racism" and some fictional "race card". 

And one of the reasons I enjoy this site much more than some of the others (and I am realizing, more than other schools' fan blogs) is that we all have been very good about ripping on the FACTS of the team, the style of play, and even the players at times... without the infantile ad hominem attacks that are so prevalent on message boards and comment strings. 

I like talking about the straight issues, not whether or not the coach makes me think of Sanford yelling "whaddaya want you big DUMMY."  Which does make me snicker a little, but is irrelevant to the discussion of basketball strategy, history, and the like.  It releases the frustration, but it helps a board devolve into ALLCAPS responses and lunacy, and I think it's great that the regular posters stay clear of that, even while being passionately angry.

I'm going back to my beer now.

Well said. After all,  its just a stupid game.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2010, 08:46:48 AM »
And for the record - I didn't say this last night - I agree that you guys are making Paris a whipping boy.  This isn't a game with a single whipping boy (except the coaching staff, perhaps), it was a team that had the Cards reeling a bit and then allowed them to shoot 5-12 from the 3, grab 10 offensive rebounds (vs. 7 by St. John's), and turned the ball a little more than Louisville. 

Paris wasn't the problem - his drives, for much of the night, look better than I've seen, but that might be the Louisville halfcourt defense.  I don't think his new muscle is hindering him - he still gets up for dunks, and he wasn't a great dribbler last year either.

Foad

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2010, 09:07:16 AM »
Guys, I say this as a person and not as a mod, respect the "don't call the Coach 'Lamont'".  I say this in part because I was looking around at some stuff on Paul Hewitt yesterday (some Georgia Tech message board linked to my blog and some notes about Hewitt).  And the stuff they say... I mean, it's Georgia, and they're backwards a-holes

So to recap. It is not okay to call Norm "Lamont," because that might be perceived as racist, but if Norm were from Georgia it'd be okay to call him a backward a$$hole, because those people (those people) are all crackers.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2010, 09:54:04 AM »
Guys, I say this as a person and not as a mod, respect the "don't call the Coach 'Lamont'".  I say this in part because I was looking around at some stuff on Paul Hewitt yesterday (some Georgia Tech message board linked to my blog and some notes about Hewitt).  And the stuff they say... I mean, it's Georgia, and they're backwards a-holes

So to recap. It is not okay to call Norm "Lamont," because that might be perceived as racist, but if Norm were from Georgia it'd be okay to call him a backward a$$hole, because those people (those people) are all crackers.
Twist all you want.  Besides that not being what I said (never called them crackers), I was poking some fun at Georgia Tech in a way that was certainly hypocritical (for humorous value) - glad you caught that, kudos - keep me on my toes. 

But I am not anti using "Lamont" for some imagined racist angle, but because it's silly and takes away from the basketball talk.  If you are particularly bothered by my comment, I apologize - I don't mean to be offensive or off-putting w/r/t Georgians.  They are fine Americans and are as modern as anyone else in the country.

What did you think of the game?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2010, 10:01:29 AM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/01/10/2010-01-10_storm_clouds_gather_again.html

The Johnnies lost to Louisville, 75-68, Saturday, falling to 0-3 in conference play while losing for the fourth time in the last five games. And the losing is clearly taking its toll.

"I don't think everyone's head is in the right place right now," St. John's junior center Sean Evans said. "(It) might not be (just) playing in the games. It starts in the practices and everywhere. I don't think we're all together yet.

"Some of us come in with the mentality we're going to win the game. Some are like 'whatever happens, happens.'"

Speaking more generally, junior guard Paris Horne said, "To win games like this, it's going to take a collective effort. I believe in my heart we have that in us."

"We haven't played a full game to our potential," Evans said. "We might play a half or in spurts but we haven't put a whole game together yet. The losing bothers me. It bothers a lot of us."

That includes senior Anthony Mason Jr., who scored five points in his first game since Nov. 18, 2008, after foot surgery and a hamstring injury.

"This could have been a good day, but it isn't," Mason said . "I'd rather have had five points in a win."

D.J. Kennedy led the Johnnies with 20 points and eight rebounds, then had to go to the hospital for four stitches afterward to close a gash above his eye, though Roberts said he won't miss any time. Kennedy underwent a CAT scan, which was negative.

Foad

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2010, 10:33:35 AM »
Twist all you want.  Besides that not being what I said (never called them crackers), I was poking some fun at Georgia Tech in a way that was certainly hypocritical (for humorous value) - glad you caught that, kudos - keep me on my toes. 

But I am not anti using "Lamont" for some imagined racist angle, but because it's silly and takes away from the basketball talk.  If you are particularly bothered by my comment, I apologize - I don't mean to be offensive or off-putting w/r/t Georgians.  They are fine Americans and are as modern as anyone else in the country.

I am not particularly bothered by racism or racists. Since I hate everyone equally, I am above that particular fray. I do love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning though.

Regarding the game, Louisville is an elite program, with elite recruits, a HOF coach, and an 85 percent home court winning percentage. So I'm less surprised that we lost than that anyone is surprised that we did. That being said, Louisville is not very good and I'd wager we beat them at the garden.

Norm is not smart enough to juggle 10 players. The sooner he figures that out the better. He needs to find a rotation, stick to it, and shorten the bench. Omari Lawrence gives us nothing, see you next year. Ditto Stith.

Also, great job calling a TO with 7 seconds left on the shot clock, that always works out well. Sometimes its like he's trying to be a dope.

Mason Jr looked sharp and should start. Paris Horne, who killed us yesterday in a 4 straight possessions when it was still a game, to the bench.

Our interior defense is beyond atrocious. It couldn't have hurt to let Coker have a go at hacking Samuels into submission. At least he tries to block shots. Besides, what's the point of having him and Burrell play 9 combined minutes, 11 if you throw in Thomas.

OTOH, sometimes they seem to learn stuff. They did a good job attacking the press for example, at least when Boothe was in. And Evans got a rebound at one point and took a couple of dribbles up court before remembering he's not a guard and pulling up. But obviously as a group the light bulb has still not turned on. I'd blame Norm, but what's the point.

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2010, 02:43:35 PM »

Foad makes a pretty good argument, Peter.  I'll say for the most part that you have reasonable and sensible posts, Peter.

You bring plenty to this board whenever you decide to post.  Nevertheless, you did come off, as hypocritical on the above post.

I live in the state (born and raised) that is adjacently located to Georgia (South Carolina).  I could've taken offense to your post, as I am close to some Georgians.  There is a perception that southerners do have a "different" way of living or views than northerners or most folk outside of the southern region....  And, in some cases that may very, well be true.

You just painted a picture of Georgians because of your perception, right?  Well....  My perception of Norm (as, a coach) is of one of the characters of Sanford & Son.  At least, by what "Fred Sanford" called his only son.

I do not agree of playing the race card, if that's what some Georgia Tech fans are doing to Hewitt.  Like Foad mentioned....  "I am not particularly bothered by racism or racists."  I'm not a racist and think it's sucks to live your life, as a racist.  I'm also black (as, "Lamont" and Norm Roberts, lol), just in case you thought I was of another ethnic background.

Lastly, I can talk about basketball, whether the name is used or not.  Focus on what I'm saying and do not let the name blind you to what I'm saying....  Besides, talking about basketball is almost pointless with this program right about now.  I'm not gonna knock any of y'all (a southern term, lol) for continuing to watch games and discussing the games. 

I just hope y'all do not continue to beat yourselves over the head about woulda, coulda, shoulda.  It'll always be woulda, coulda, shoulda when the W.C.E. is roaming the sidelines at St. John's.

I like to come here because I've conversed with some of you (online) for several years.  So, it's good to chit-chat from time to time about hoops and recruits.

I'll continue to talk about recruits, but I guess I'll just converse about other college basketball games, as I won't watch another St. John's basketball game, this season.  There are still some good basketball being played on the collegiate level and I'll tune into those games, instead of continuing to watch "our" program rot while the W.C.E. collects a paycheck, carte blanche.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 03:34:48 PM by mjdinkins »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2010, 03:39:15 PM »
MJD, I was playing around, and even apologized. I'll PM you to speak more specifically on this

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2010, 03:48:51 PM »
Cool, Peter!  But, I was never offended.  I do not offend easily.  I was just making a point. 

It's all good, Peter! 

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2010, 07:51:06 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/01/10/2010-01-10_storm_clouds_gather_again.html

The Johnnies lost to Louisville, 75-68, Saturday, falling to 0-3 in conference play while losing for the fourth time in the last five games. And the losing is clearly taking its toll.

"I don't think everyone's head is in the right place right now," St. John's junior center Sean Evans said. "(It) might not be (just) playing in the games. It starts in the practices and everywhere. I don't think we're all together yet.

"Some of us come in with the mentality we're going to win the game. Some are like 'whatever happens, happens.'"

Ummmmmm, I dont know about you guys, but these quotes are VERY disturbing.  Read them.  Sounds like theres a disconnect with the team, and if theres substance to what Sean Evans is saying, then this team might be letting the frustration get to them.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2010, 08:12:05 PM »

Ummmmmm, I dont know about you guys, but these quotes are VERY disturbing.  Read them.  Sounds like theres a disconnect with the team, and if theres substance to what Sean Evans is saying, then this team might be letting the frustration get to them.

I did read it, Theo....  And, I'm in agreement with yourself.  There has seem to be a disconnect (by the way they play) for a few years.  Maybe, these kids are frustrated and this was a way (in an indirect way) to let everyknow what's actually going on..... 

And, what's going on is probably pretty much what we all knew. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2010, 08:54:31 PM »

I did read it, Theo....  And, I'm in agreement with yourself.  There has seem to be a disconnect (by the way they play) for a few years.  Maybe, these kids are frustrated and this was a way (in an indirect way) to let everyknow what's actually going on..... 

And, what's going on is probably pretty much what we all knew.

Gotta wonder if Burrell expressed his frustration, resulting in 7 mins of time....Norm NEEDS to go!
"I drink and I know things"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2010, 10:04:35 PM »
Yeah.  The ship be sinking.

And "not together" after that hot start this year? That's some internal strife. 

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2010, 12:38:15 AM »
Yeah.  The ship be sinking.

And "not together" after that hot start this year? That's some internal strife.

Which would beg the question: has Norm lost the team mentally and in terms of being able to motivate them?

I should point out that even though Evans DID say these things, lets remember that hes a college kid and this came after a tough loss.  Could be a heat-of-the-moment statement. Not saying theres not any truth to it, because there most certainly could be.  We should just take this single statement with a grain of salt.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
who on the team has the 'i dont care' attitude about any game, let alone one we needed this bad?  jb deserves to, but it doesnt really fit with the personality he has shown. as much as i like deli's play this year he is the only one i could see with an apathetic attitude.