Best High School Basketball Teams of All Time

• 27 replies
Re: Best High School Basketball Teams of All Time
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 12:59:16 PM »
Baldi you left off Minnesota PG Eric Harris. That guy could play.

I think he played for St. Rays with Dana Dingle

Nah.
Eric was a 2G and he played wit Kareem Reid and Charlton Clarke in one of the best backcourts in recent NYC hist.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

pmg911

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 01:17:09 PM »
Choz..  wasn't there a kid on that 1988 Tolentine team named Terry Allen..? I am not if that was his name but they had a kid that as a Freshman he was the best player in the class or was supposed to be at least. He broke his arm screwing around either late in his Freshman year or his Soph year and was never the same player. I could have sworn that he recovered by the time he was a Senior and was a big contributor to that City Championship team and ended up at Tennessee.

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 12:36:38 PM »
I'm probably a bit biased but my alma matter (Christ The King) had a great team: Lamar Odom, Speedy Claxton, Erick Barkley, Ira Miller, etc.

Also, the woman's team deserves some consideration for one of the best women basketball teams.

Here is a link I found that talks about the 10 best high school teams ever:
http://www.maxpreps.com/news/article.aspx?articleid=32f101a1-174f-e011-a486-001cc494a4ac&page=6

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2011, 12:42:18 PM »
Walter Berry,Gary Springer,Richie Adams, Kenny Hutchinson and Lonnie Green

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 04:00:37 PM »
Choz..  wasn't there a kid on that 1988 Tolentine team named Terry Allen..? I am not if that was his name but they had a kid that as a Freshman he was the best player in the class or was supposed to be at least. He broke his arm screwing around either late in his Freshman year or his Soph year and was never the same player. I could have sworn that he recovered by the time he was a Senior and was a big contributor to that City Championship team and ended up at Tennessee.

pmg I'm pretty sure you are referring to Corey Allen who did indeed break his arm but played in that great CHSAA championship game against Molloy that was televised by the old "sportschannel". He was a speedy pressure defender but kinda limited offensively. He went to juco after Tolentine and ended up not at Tennessee but at Alabama.  Also he was best man at Malik and Lisa Sealy's wedding.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 04:02:54 PM by jpm114 »

pmg911

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 04:06:17 PM »
JPM - sounds right... I remember that kid being unguardable as a Freshman...

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 04:27:47 PM »
If I may tie up a few loose ends in this thread. The Gary Springer-Richie Adams Franklin team lost as seniors in the PSAL semis to an Adlai Stevenson team that featured Fred Brown (he of the errant pass to James Worthy for G-town) and Ed Pinkney. On the '88 team the kid who went to Xavier was forward Jerome Holmes. He played two years there before transferring to St. Francis.  The kid who wore the goggles was Keith Odom who went to Colgate after Tolentine. Finally with St. Raymond's Eric Harris did indeed play shooting guard once Kareem Reid entered the program. Kareem was part of the last class ever admitted to Tolentine and came to St. Ray's for his soph year.

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2011, 12:28:08 AM »
Dont go back as far some y'all, but one from my time stand out amongst others:

1989 St. Anthony's
Bobby Hurley
Terry Dehere
Jerry Walker
Roderick Rhodes
Jose Ortiz
Danny Hurley
32-0, state champs, USA Today champs.
115-5 in four years wit Hurley, Walker and Dehere

This has to be the choice.  Walker and Ortiz were men, Hurley and Dehere were a sensational backcourt, and Rhodes was a stud from day one.  Three first round picks on that team 1-3 and Walker was a manchild capable of holding his own against any high school big man.  Oh, and the coach wasn't too shabby either. 

Terry Dehere was my favorite college player of all-time, and ended his career as the leading scorer in Big East history. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:29:29 AM by Marillac »