Red Storm Tip-Off- October 14th

• 125 replies

Poison

Re: Red Storm Tip-Off- October 14th
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2011, 07:52:42 AM »
Redmen 010, I agree. They are allowed to treat it like a commuter school. That's what it is. However, if they don't want to support the team, give the tickets to those who do. There will be fans of this program if it wins. That's the nature of sports in a pro town.

As far as older fans not cheering enough or making enough noise, I find that be pretty funny. It's more like how would you know the older fans aren't as into the game if you never go to the games?

Also, much has been said about students going to games and being reprimanded by alumni hall and msg security. I could understand that's hard to swallow. However. Consider that if you established some consistency you might be shown some respect. As it stands now, when you finally show up for those 3-4 games, it appears as if you're only here to incite a riot.

So, if I had my vote, this is your last chance. Show up, and show up consistently, or you lose the proviledge. Frankly, I can't understand why else anyone would bother attending this school to begin with. But maybe some of you actually like Jamaica. And if it's that's true, there really isn't anything to discuss.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:04:10 AM by Poison »

derk

« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2011, 09:34:42 AM »
Anyway you want to slice it, for a school with 18 - 20K students to have the lack of interest in the school basketball program to the extent that it exists at SJU, is a disgrace.

« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2011, 10:42:56 AM »
As a season ticket holder since 1971, I have seem the highs and the lows.

Winning will solve the attendance issue. It's that simple. Last year was the first step in this process.

Poison

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2011, 10:51:04 AM »
Anyway you want to slice it, for a school with 18 - 20K students to have the lack of interest in the school basketball program to the extent that it exists at SJU, is a disgrace.

I took a friend who went to Syracuse to the game a couple of years ago. He asked me "how many students go to St.John's?" I told him 18-20K. He had figured about 4000. That is the public perception. St.John's fans don't care.

« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2011, 11:02:48 AM »
So, if I had my vote, this is your last chance. Show up, and show up consistently, or you lose the proviledge. Frankly, I can't understand why else anyone would bother attending this school to begin with. But maybe some of you actually like Jamaica. And if it's that's true, there really isn't anything to discuss.

I've gone to every game that has been played during my time so far as a student.  Those points I made are more from the point of view of people who aren't here because of the basketball program.  I am.  My main point is that you can't blame current students for the lack of support that past students displayed.  The far majority of every person I know has season tickets and this includes a large portion that didn't have them last year.  Winning Solves All.  There is no doubt in my mind that you will see a packed student section night in and night out this year from my observations around campus.  :up:

Poison

« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2011, 11:07:24 AM »
Winning will probably solve all, but all of the students should be on alert that real season ticket holders and donors want your seats, and you will lose them if wimp out and stop going to games.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 11:58:30 AM by Poison »

« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2011, 11:25:01 AM »
amir garrett
I will be in attendance for Midnight madness friday...#stjbb #redstorm
25 minutes ago

Hopefully Norvel shows up as well.

« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2011, 01:00:45 PM »
My goodness, enough of the arguing between students and alumni.  Both parties have been underwhelming the last number of years.  Yes, not enough students have shown up, and yes, the alumni that have shown up have been non-enthusiastic and COMPLETE fuddy-duddies when it comes to approving (more like NOT approving) of students when they get loud and enthusiastic).  So both parties have been at fault while the program stunk.  End of discussion.

The original point of this discussion can be solved in the future in a VERY simple way: just mail season ticket holders a pass to midnight madness ahead of time and we won't have this issue.  Those folks that pay the hundreds of dollars to go to games do deserve that privilege of not having to show up at 2pm to guarantee seats for this. The ticket department should just mail them tickets to this before the event.  Very simple.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2011, 01:31:04 PM »
Lemme tell y'all sometin.

Before I went away last year, I caught the exhibition game against some DII or DIII school.

Who was also in the audience? Amir Garrett and Norvel Pelle.

And the students at a exhibition game was all up on their feet. One side chanted: "We want Pelle!" The other side chanted "We want Garrett!"

Garrett and Pelle was luvin it. They started pumpin they finger in the air to the beat of the chant.

So give the kids a lil bit of cred here!  And dont stop doin what y'all do!!!!!!!
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2011, 02:01:34 PM »
Facebook page has been updated with a 'One ticket per person' policy.

Not a surprise, they had it last year too.

Moose

« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2011, 03:19:36 PM »

Before I went away last year, I caught the exhibition game against some DII or DIII school.

And the students at a exhibition game was all up on their feet. One side chanted: "We want Pelle!" The other side chanted "We want Garrett!"

Garrett and Pelle was luvin it. They started pumpin they finger in the air to the beat of the chant.

So give the kids a lil bit of cred here!  And dont stop doin what y'all do!!!!!!!

Yeah and imagine.  That was maybe 100 students total, tops.  Imagine Rupp arena with 20k ppl chanting your name.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2011, 07:57:56 PM »

I'll give you one guess as to whose idea that was :)

Moose

« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2011, 08:05:06 PM »
Back in the day we chanting for Tyler Jones.  Funny how far we've come.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2011, 11:27:19 AM »
It’s clear that NCLB has had a negative impact as teachers began teaching to a standard and by doing that it detracted from other areas of cognitive development. However, that being said, within that framework kids today are learning things in grade school that people of decades past didn’t learn until High School or College. This holds true especially in American History. When I was young it seemed teachers and books only mentioned the positive things that were done by people and/or government and never told the “whole” story. My son learned about the Trail of Tears when he was in the 3rd or 4th grade along with other realities and I don’t believe that was something that I learned until I was in HS. I wouldn’t go as far to say kids are more intelligent today though, it appears something has been lost due to the NCLB act so its a wash. Now back to the thread…....I think Nuri may be our best player this year.         

Kids are undoubtedly just as intelligent today as they were a half century ago. However, the intellectual frame of reference for most college students today is a far cry from what it used to be.  Ask any honest college professor.

kjd01067

« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2011, 09:22:22 AM »
Not sure if it has been posted because I refuse to go back and look through all the posts of liny89 arguing with everyone on the board, but the tipoff will be aired on espn3 tonight

« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2011, 01:50:51 PM »
Is coach Lavin going to be out their tonight?

MCNPA

« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2011, 01:53:19 PM »

I don't he'd miss it unless he was in the hospital, which he's not.  He should be pretty well recovered by now.

« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2011, 02:05:01 PM »
I just hope Doug Gottlieb isnt there again

« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2011, 03:25:51 PM »

I don't he'd miss it unless he was in the hospital, which he's not.  He should be pretty well recovered by now.

No Lavin tonight.

STJ_Basketball
#STJBB Fans, Coach Lavin is recovering from #beatingcancer and won't be able to join us tonight. Let's be loud and crazy for him on @ESPN3!

lihoop

« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2011, 04:03:58 PM »
get well soon Coach Lavin - you will be missed tonight.