Lamont Jones - PG - American Christian School - Aston, PA - IONA

• 560 replies

kjd01067

Their are some concerns about how Momo would "influence" some of the other kids. Additionally as previously pointed out Harrow is more of a natural 1.

This is why I said I would be "surprised" if he came. He's talented but in terms of team dynamics and chemistry I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Is MoMo considered a bad seed?  I know nothing about the kid other than watching him play in the ncaa tourny so I am unaware of his work ethic or whether or not he is a team player.  I know he committed and de-committed several times in his initial recruitment but to me that isn't telling of a player's character because of how ridiculous the recruitment process has become.

The relationship is with Mo Hicks and MoMo. Hicks is or is like his god father. MoMo's dad passed away and Hicks was his father figure.

Why did he transfer away from his father figure?

He didn't "transfer" away. He committed to Arizona which was the best possible destination for him.

I think he meant -why did Lamont leave Rice?

You qualitized that correctly.

I know little to nothing about Momo outside of his play in the NCAA tournament, but checking the Arizona message board, there seems to be a consensus about love for his character and toughness.

Marillac

Their are some concerns about how Momo would "influence" some of the other kids. Additionally as previously pointed out Harrow is more of a natural 1.

This is why I said I would be "surprised" if he came. He's talented but in terms of team dynamics and chemistry I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Is MoMo considered a bad seed?  I know nothing about the kid other than watching him play in the ncaa tourny so I am unaware of his work ethic or whether or not he is a team player.  I know he committed and de-committed several times in his initial recruitment but to me that isn't telling of a player's character because of how ridiculous the recruitment process has become.

I always thought Momo got a bad rap.   He had the chance to play alongside Tyreke Evans and that was a great opportunity.  Then, he got a late offer to go to Oak Hill which is very hard to turn down.  As for college, he committed to Louisville first if my memory serves me right, but I think Pitino soured on him.  Then he committed to USC and the whole Tim Floyd thing went down and he was pretty much forced to leave with the rest of the class to go to Arizona. 

His transfers make sense to me.  It's not like some kids who just transfer for easier classes or shady reasons.  Momo kept going up to better situations.  Oak Hill is damn hard to turn down!

With that said, from a purely on-court perspective, I don' think Momo fits well going forward.  I expect Harrison to be better than him and a better fit for this current roster in two years.  And Momo will leave just as this team gets ready to make the biggest push as seniors. 

* fixed your quotes marillac -kjd
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 04:18:02 PM by kjd01067 »

With that said, from a purely on-court perspective, I don' think Momo fits well going forward.  I expect Harrison to be better than him and a better fit for this current roster in two years.  And Momo will leave just as this team gets ready to make the biggest push as seniors. 

* fixed your quotes marillac -kjd

We'll survive with or without MoMo.  I also prefer Harrison over him (in the long run). 

Hopefully, this isn't the scenario....  Unfortunately, I see some defections (whether, it's via playing professionally or transferring) by the time this upcoming class become seniors.  Nevertheless, I still believe we should field a pretty, good team at that point.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 04:27:12 PM by mjdinkins »

ras

He wouldn,t be competing with Harrison. He would be competing with Nuri and Jevon. There is going to be competition at all positions. Harrow is a pure point guard and may be a better fit, but what if he(Harrow) opts to go elsewhere?

Wonder if Hofstra put a call into Lamont?

Marillac

He wouldn,t be competing with Harrison. He would be competing with Nuri and Jevon. There is going to be competition at all positions. Harrow is a pure point guard and may be a better fit, but what if he(Harrow) opts to go elsewhere?
I think Harrison is every bit as much of a pg as Nuri.  I see your point, though, and I'm happy with the three combo guards we already have--Nuri, Harrison and Greene--and I don't think we get any better adding a 6'0 kid that shot 25% from three and only handed out 2.4 assists per game.  Harrow, on the other hand, gives us a pure pg that matches the athletic ability on the roster 2-5.  He'd also be a killer at the end of games with his filthy handle and 87% from the FT line.  One man press-breaker.

crgreen

Kid just quarterbacked an Elite 8 team as a sophmore.   He'll be picking from a considerably higher strata than Hofstra.

crgreen

I think Harrison is every bit as much of a pg as Nuri.  I see your point, though, and I'm happy with the three combo guards we already have--Nuri, Harrison and Greene--and I don't think we get any better adding a 6'0 kid that shot 25% from three and only handed out 2.4 assists per game.  Harrow, on the other hand, gives us a pure pg that matches the athletic ability on the roster 2-5.  He'd also be a killer at the end of games with his filthy handle and 87% from the FT line.  One man press-breaker.

Actually, Momo shot 32% on 3s, and 83% FTs, leading his team to #9 in the country (and the Elite Eight).  Harrow shot 22% from distance, and dished less than ONE more assist per game (3.3 to 2.4) for a LOSING team.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 08:02:41 PM by crgreen »

Actually, Momo shot 32% on 3s, and 83% FTs, leading his team to #9 in the country (and the elite 8).  Harrow shot 22% from distance, and dished less than ONE more assist per game (3.3 to 2.4) for a LOSING team.

I wouldn't say he led the team thats a blatant misrepresentation. Derrick Williams carried that team and Soloman Hill played 2nd fiddle. Was MoMo an important piece? Sure.

MoMo is a gunner and with a team that is bringing in two gunners in Nuri and Harrison I'm not sure how I see this fit.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

crgreen

Question For Dave...
« Reply #171 on: May 18, 2011, 08:09:13 PM »
Re the headers for the posts on recruits.   Why does Momo's list "American Christian" as his high school?  He played less than a seaon for that school.   As a high school senior, he took over at PG from Brandon Jennings at Oak Hill, and took them to the #1 ranking in HS ball (something Jennings didn't).  Wouldn't the Oak Hill reference be more appropriate?

Marillac

Actually, Momo shot 32% on 3s, and 83% FTs, leading his team to #9 in the country (and the Elite Eight).  Harrow shot 22% from distance, and dished less than ONE more assist per game (3.3 to 2.4) for a LOSING team.

32% this season and 18% (EIGHTEEN!!!!) as a freshman.  He is a career 26.5% 3-pt shooter.  Also, he shot 70.5% as a freshman from the line, so it's only fair to compare that with Harrow.  Harrow has considerably better stats as a freshman--more than double the assists, 16.5% better from the line, 4% better from deep, almost 3 more more points per game, more steals, and for pretty even teams. 

I agree with Dave, that the Zona team went through Williams.

Question for Dave

Re the headers for the posts on recruits.   Why does Momo's list "American Christian" as his high school?  He played less than a seaon for that school.   As a high school senior, he took over at PG from Brandon Jennings at Oak Hill, and took them to the #1 ranking in HS ball (something Jennings didn't).  Wouldn't the Oak Hill reference be more appropriate?

It may have something to do with when the original post was made...feel free to let us know (like you just did) and we can update them.  Hard to keep up with all the recruits now...it was a lot easier just a couple of years ago :)
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Actually, Momo shot 32% on 3s, and 83% FTs, leading his team to #9 in the country (and the elite 8).  Harrow shot 22% from distance, and dished less than ONE more assist per game (3.3 to 2.4) for a LOSING team.

I wouldn't say he led the team thats a blatant misrepresentation. Derrick Williams carried that team and Soloman Hill played 2nd fiddle. Was MoMo an important piece? Sure.

MoMo is a gunner and with a team that is bringing in two gunners in Nuri and Harrison I'm not sure how I see this fit.

momo was second on the team in scoring. soloman hill was fourth. Williams did carry them however
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Thread was created back when he was at American Christian. It wasn't known where he was going to transfer to. By the time he did he was no longer a St. John's target, got buried, and was never changed.

momo was second on the team in scoring. soloman hill was fourth. Williams did carry them however

Hill (zona's DJ Kennedy) was more valuable to that team than MoMo. Heck you could make a case for Parrom being more valuable off the bench too. If you ask an Arizona fan about MoMo I'm sure there would be no love lost especially with what they have coming in.

Honestly a great fit for MoMo would be UConn

Hill (zona's DJ Kennedy) was more valuable to that team than MoMo. Heck you could make a case for Parrom being more valuable off the bench too. If you ask an Arizona fan about MoMo I'm sure there would be no love lost especially with what they have coming in.

Honestly a great fit for MoMo would be UConn

Actually I was thinking Jevon Thomas ends up at UConn, God I hope not

Kid just quarterbacked an Elite 8 team as a sophmore.   He'll be picking from a considerably higher strata than Hofstra.

Yes and no.  I agree Momo can play at a BCS level, no doubt.  But remember he is going to be asking for a waiver and he almost certainly needs to be in the NY area to have any chance to get one.  That limits his choices.  There might not be room for him at SJU or SHU.  He may have to take a step down (that is why I suggested Fordham) just to make sure he stays in the area.

Or he gives up his waiver request and instead decides to say go to Providence, who I think would take him in a minute.

Yes and no.  I agree Momo can play at a BCS level, no doubt.  But remember he is going to be asking for a waiver and he almost certainly needs to be in the NY area to have any chance to get one.  That limits his choices.  There might not be room for him at SJU or SHU.  He may have to take a step down (that is why I suggested Fordham) just to make sure he stays in the area.

Or he gives up his waiver request and instead decides to say go to Providence, who I think would take him in a minute.

I saw somewhere saying Va Tech too