@ #1 Villanova Game Discussion

• 46 replies
Re: @ #1 Villanova Game Discussion
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 10:24:12 PM »
As an aside, it seems we get goaltending called against us a lot less than last year with obekpa. Are yakwe/sima just that much better with their timing?
No Obekpa didn't care about getting called for goal tending. He was an xsshole.

I assume this is just blatant unfettered hate. After thinking about it, I think it's more likely that he just tried to block every shot that was made in his area. That's why he gets a lot of criticism for his D and was never a good rebounder.

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 10:36:57 PM »
Villanova is such a better team but you cant beat them when its over 30 foul shots to 5

I like to see Chris really give it to the refs one game and maybe then he and SJU would get some respect from the officiating

Foad

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016, 10:39:33 PM »
Not sure I understand why Durand Johnson gets any minutes whatsoever

Could it be because he leads the team in scoring?

cjfish

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 10:40:10 PM »
Redmen are peaking.....DePaul will be first win

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 10:43:07 PM »
I feel like any St Johns player needs to be murdered on the court to get a foul called in this game.

If Donald Trump did it, he wouldn't get called for a foul.  😊

(Not a political statement, folks.  Just a play on his recent statement)

Foad

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 10:43:24 PM »
IMO, Musini is the most overmatched player on the floor.  Just doesn't have the speed, skill or physicality to play at this level.  Overmatched in all areas of the game.

Agree he's awful. But he's only a freshman and when he bulks up to 170 pounds and gets his three point shooting up to 30 percent he'll be a nice player coming off the bench.

Poison

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 11:12:51 PM »
Great effort. Impressive to stay in it, and keep up with them. If Mussini and Sima give us just a little, as win that game. They have to do better than this. They have to find more ways to score.

I think one the of the biggest problems with this roster is that they have so many players who play the same type of game. If Mussini, M'vouika and Johnson were just needed to be spot up shooters, they'd be fine. We need them to be ballers. They're not.

Great improvement by Ellison, Alibegovic and Yakwe.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:36:29 AM by Poison »

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 11:22:49 PM »
When you aren't a good team, you aren't going to get nearly as many calls as a more talented squad.  Second, we don't have a single player who can beat BE guards/wings off the dribble.  Hence the free throw difference when you play a Nova squad that typically has 4 guys on the floor who can take their man. 

Villanova is such a better team but you cant beat them when its over 30 foul shots to 5

I like to see Chris really give it to the refs one game and maybe then he and SJU would get some respect from the officiating

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2016, 11:25:32 PM »
Agreed.  If Johnson, Mussini or Ron were asked to play 10-20 minutes a game, surrounded by guards and wings who can get them shots spotting up, they would look very different.  We don't have players who can do that, so their weaknesses get magnified.

Great effort. Impressive to stay in it, and keep up with them. If Mussini and Sima give us just a little, as win that game. They have to do better than this. They have to find more ways to score.

I think one the of the biggest problems with this roster is that they have so many players who play the same type of game. If Mussini, M'vouika and Johnson were just needed to be spot up shooters, they'd be fine. We need them to the ballers. They're not.

Great improvement by Ellison, Alibegovic and Yakwe.

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2016, 11:28:03 PM »
Ellison isn't there yet, but he did beat his guy off the dribble a few times today.

goredmen

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2016, 11:58:15 PM »

Pretty stupid comment considering he takes far and away the most shots on the team. Anybody who attempts as many shots as he has would be the team's leading scorer

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2016, 12:49:29 AM »

Pretty stupid comment considering he takes far and away the most shots on the team. Anybody who attempts as many shots as he has would be the team's leading scorer

You don't watch much basketball do you?

Edit: to be less derogatory: find me a top scorer on any team, pro or college, that doesn't take more or significantly more shots than others.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 12:51:16 AM by survivedc »

goredmen

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2016, 01:26:59 AM »

Edit: to be less derogatory: find me a top scorer on any team, pro or college, that doesn't take more or significantly more shots than others.

The point is just because he's the team's leading scorer doesn't mean he's our best player or even a good player. If Amar chucked up as many shots as Durand then he'd be our leading scorer. Would that make him our best player?

goredmen

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2016, 01:43:09 AM »

Yukon's leading scorer: Shonn Miller, 4th on the team in FGA http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/41/connecticut-huskies
Gtech's leading scorer: Marcus Georges-Hunt, 2nd on the team in FGA http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/59/georgia-tech-yellow-jackets
Vtech's leading scorer: Zach LeDay, 2nd on the team in FGA http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/259/virginia-tech-hokies
Wake's leading scorer: Devin Thomas, 2nd on the team in FGA
Miss St's leading scorer: Gavin, Ware, 2nd on the team in FGA

Let me know if you want me to keep going
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:43:39 AM by goredmen »

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2016, 07:55:19 AM »

TONYD3

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2016, 09:20:45 AM »

Usually the best offensive player takes the most shots. He is also the focus of th other teams defense. No one is saying he is even ok. But someone has to shoot. Ellison has gone from awful to some what promising (still not close to being good) and played most of the game yesterday .
Mussini is a great shooter and scorer when he is not being guarded ( he has been guarded since Syracuse). Again someone has to shoot.
Wishing Durand is gone is reasonable. Blaming him is also reasonable  in my opinion. Only blaming him seems unfair. They all stink.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:23:56 AM by TONYD3 »

Foad

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2016, 09:30:51 AM »
The point is just because he's the team's leading scorer doesn't mean he's our best player or even a good player. If Amar chucked up as many shots as Durand then he'd be our leading scorer. Would that make him our best player?

Pretty stupid comment considering no one said that he's our best player or even a good player.

Mussini's 10 for 48 from the floor over his last 6 games and couldn't cover a chair. That's why Johnson's on the floor. Because of all our awful two guards, he's the least awful.

Pete88

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2016, 10:46:16 AM »

Pretty stupid comment considering no one said that he's our best player or even a good player.

Mussini's 10 for 48 from the floor over his last 6 games and couldn't cover a chair. That's why Johnson's on the floor. Because of all our awful two guards, he's the least awful.

How can anyone argue for Mussini to receive more minutes??  The other freshman have all shown improvement, vast improvement for most actually.  Mussini has regressed terribly, most of that is due to better competition he has faced in BE play.  There is not one area of his game that you can point to and say, we need him in the game because of .......

He works hard, nice kid obviously but...

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2016, 11:25:17 AM »
Yea I would not be surprised if Mussini went back to Italy to make some money. If his minutes are dwelling on this current roster . How in the world is he going to play next year. Love the kid hope he stays but it is not like he is playing for Columbia where in 4 years he graduatea with an Ivy league education and would probably be one of the better players in the Ivy league. Opportunity cost is not worth it at SJU, if he has a pro contract in Europe waiting for him.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 11:27:16 AM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

TONYD3

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2016, 11:33:37 AM »
Yea I would not be surprised if Mussini went back to Italy to make some money. If his minutes are dwelling on this current roster . How in the world is he going to play next year. Love the kid hope he stays but it is not like he is playing for Columbia where in 4 years he graduatea with an Ivy league education and would probably be one of the better players in the Ivy league. Opportunity cost is not worth it at SJU, if he has a pro contract in Europe waiting for him.
Not a knock, real question. Someone is going to pay him money to play basketball? How much? St. John's education isn't Ivy but it is worth something . I do ok. I can't imagine someone paying mussini a lot of money to play basketball.