Top AAU Coach Goes to St. John’s

• 119 replies
Re: Top AAU Coach Goes to St. John’s
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2008, 12:29:48 PM »
Is their anyone on this board who hasnt used drugs or know any drug dealers?

« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2008, 12:35:25 PM »
Is the grass always greener on the other side? No I'm not talking about marijuana either.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2008, 12:43:32 PM »
in this political season you got to love the feigned outrage.
does anyone have more background on Cross besides OSL and Panthers?  Has he been with the Panthers a long time?

More importantly does anyone have his beeper number?

haha beepers....get with the times its prepaid cell phones now.

lol
been awhile, Damn madatory drug testing lol

« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2008, 12:44:51 PM »
does anyone have more background on Cross besides OSL and Panthers?  Has he been with the Panthers a long time?

lol

By your wife or by work?

« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2008, 12:45:42 PM »

lol

By your wife or by work?
both

« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2008, 12:46:52 PM »

lol

By your wife or by work?
both

Sucks for you, your missing out on Marco Baldi's Italian herb

« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2008, 01:03:33 PM »
As I stated on the other board, personally I do not have a problem with this hire. It does seem ironic however that Slappy was brought here to run a clean ship and make sure there are no more scandals. Things such as winning games, recruiting and actually running a play seemed to be lower on the admin's pecking order. This move seems either to show a change of heart by the admin, or at the very least a desperation move by Slappy. If there is a change in policy by the school or coach about prioritizing winning and recruiting, one HUUUUGE problem remains in that the coach can't coach!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 01:18:18 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2008, 01:09:19 PM »

lol

By your wife or by work?
both

that stuff you sold me turned out to be oregano.  thanks a lot.

« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2008, 01:10:57 PM »

lol

By your wife or by work?
both

that stuff you sold me turned out to be oregano.  thanks a lot.

You were supposted to put that on your pasta, not snort it

« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2008, 01:20:27 PM »

I aint ever put nuthin like that in my holy temple.

All that said, drugs oughta be legalized, regulated and taxed like hell.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2008, 01:39:56 PM »

I agree, the only reason its illegal is because the govt. cant control it. Same with prostitution

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2008, 02:44:15 PM »
These are two upgrades on that staff for sure. We all complained when Norm didn't have ties to the local AAU teams and now he does. I don't think any could argue that these are bad hires and I certainly welcome both on board and look forward to future

Could not agree more.... welcome aboard gents & get to work!.. 8) .. peace!!

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2008, 02:47:25 PM »

I agree, the only reason its illegal is because the govt. cant control it. Same with prostitution

I think the drug dealers won't take to kind of that, meaning it will be chaos in the streets....

« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2008, 02:50:19 PM »

I think the drug dealers won't take to kind of that, meaning it will be chaos in the streets....

Too late.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2008, 09:08:19 AM »
Johnnies Get 2nd AAU Coach

August 19, 2008

by Maurice Wingate, RedStormReport.com Editor

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?ReturnTo=stjohns%2Erivals%2Ecom&lin=1&SID=1171&script=content.asp&fid=&cid=839593&tid=&mid=&rid=

It looks like St. John's has scored two victories this summer and the season hasn't even begun yet.

Last week RedStormReport.com exclusively broke the story of New Heights Athletic Director Kimani Young's acceptance of one of two administrative positions available with the Red Storm's basketball program.

RedStormReport.com has exclusively learned that after a meeting with St. John's coach Norm Roberts on Monday, that Cross has, in fact, accepted the position at St. John's University in the capacity of Administrative Assistant. Cross was unable to comment on the hiring but Mark Fratto, Associate Athletics Director for Communications for St. John's said, "As soon as the paperwork comes back from Human Resources, an official press conference will be set up with Cross."

Cross was in Vegas, over the weekend, where he was working out Justin Burrell. Cross is the legal guardian of Burrell, who plays for St. John's.

When asked about working along side of Young who will be Head Team Manager/Video Coordinator, Cross said, "Kimani's a great guy and he brings a lot to the table."

Before coaching the NY Panthers, Cross originally coach at Our Savior Lutheran in the Bronx, NY for four years and then coached AAU basketball with the Long Island Lightning.

The placement of Young and Cross into the two administrative positions, with responsibilities that will probably include player development and recruitment, bode well for the Red Storm's future by helping to solidify ties with the New York community.

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2008, 10:34:18 AM »
not to discount his effort, but if all i had to do was teach young kids ball for a few years in order to be pardoned of my conviction, thats just too easy, but thats not for me to decide.
Beginning "not to discount his effort," I'm afraid you go on to discount his effort. Having taught ghetto kids in a prison (for SJU) for a number of years let me say that it is very difficult work but just as rewarding as it is difficult.

« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2008, 11:03:24 AM »
not to discount his effort, but if all i had to do was teach young kids ball for a few years in order to be pardoned of my conviction, thats just too easy, but thats not for me to decide.
Beginning "not to discount his effort," I'm afraid you go on to discount his effort. Having taught ghetto kids in a prison (for SJU) for a number of years let me say that it is very difficult work but just as rewarding as it is difficult.

im sure there are many people that teach ghetto kids in a prison who were not previous convicted fellons. But he's here now, so welcome. more importantly, did omari officially verbal today?

« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2008, 01:50:07 PM »
"Cross was in Vegas, over the weekend, where he was working out Justin Burrell. Cross is the legal guardian of Burrell, who plays for St. John's."

It had prob been said before,

but I didn't know that Cross was Justin's guardian.
Molloy '71

kob24

« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2008, 12:29:07 PM »
yes and justin is the godfather of my son

« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2008, 10:27:12 PM »
http://lfballonhoops.blogspot.com/2008/08/thoughts-and-thoughts.html

Just some thoughts and observations.

Norm Roberts is right there with a number of great prospects. Oddly these are the type of players Lou C recruited years ago that made St. Johns the only legit big time program in the area.

So Oswald Cross and Kimani Young (who use to be Jones when I first met him years ago) might join the St. Johns Staff. My thoughts? If this happens WATCH OUT!!! Both these guys are great people, great teachers, great with kids, have great connections, and have a great chance of helping St. Johns make it back to where they were years ago. Trust me on this, those two guys are true winners and gentleman and role models. They get along with everyone!

I will not dignify what has been said about a person who might get a coaching job at one of the big three metro area schools. But what I will say is folks can be so mean and vicious. The person in question is outstanding and would help the school much more than the school would help him. Plus, people learn from mistakes and CAN become better people.

Lots of transfer talk. Really hoped Costner would have transferred to Seton Hall. With the Keon Lawrence and Brandon Costner in the wings to go along with the talent on hand it would have been great basketball in the NYC/NJ area. Just think about it. Rutgers has some great additions who are impact college players, St. Johns is turning it around talent wise especially if they hire the two guys I wrote about earlier in this posting. and Seton Hall with what I think is underrated talent and some potentially great additions would make area hoops outstanding!

I really look forward to the Garden again selling out for St. Johns games. I look forward to 18,000 for SHU against RU at the Pru Center, and I look forward to seeing people camping out at the RAC for 3 days to get tickets for the Providence game because the other games are totally sold out. Its all possible.

Though I love the two potential hires at St. Johns. I cannot believe they are not considering Ron Necleario! That hire would make every kid a potential SJU player. I think Ron is now ready for a assistant job at a BE school.

Drove by SJU the other day. Seems Alumni Hall will have a great new look for the basketball season. My gut is the team will be better as well. I just hope the new arena will still sell those pretzels and hotdog's. Nothing fancy but real basketball based on what I remember. But again I have not watched St. Johns at Alumni hall since Mark Jackson played.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!