Georgetown 12/13

• 85 replies

Marillac

Re: Georgetown 12/13
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2020, 06:54:54 PM »
I do not get the hate directed at Cole. The kid singlehandedly saved us from two losses already. He’s not going to hit all of those big shots.

A lot of first year guys on the roster so I’m going to give them some slack early on. It’s still disappointing to lose to a pair of .500 teams and start another season in the hole, though.

I would think our style of play would make us stronger than more complex styles early in the year.

Poison

« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2020, 07:15:26 PM »
The thing that bothers me is that so may people (not saying you) were raving about how much CMA developed Mullins recruits well that Mullin couldn't do. Everyone said look how great these guys are playing under him and they really fit his system! Now others are saying oh we need CMA recruits in here. Greg Williams was a really talented 4 star kid out of high school. He's gotten better each year I would not say he's not good enough.

I feel like Dave who works in the business knows players and coaches. He has a the pulse of what is going on in college basketball and what it takes to be successful. I just think a lot of fans on here are delusional and don't want to believe what he says because you are eternal optimists.

The fact of the matter is that we as a University made the mistake of firing Lavin. He was the best coach weave had here in a long time and if he stayed we would probably be in the same boat as Willard at the Hall and Cooley at Providence. If you want to bring up that Lavin stopped recruiting, I listened to a podcast he was on and said he knew he was out the door and the plan was to bring in Mullin. He also dealt with having to sit out a year as well. He isn't the best in game coach but he's the best we've had and it isn't even close.

The improvement isn’t what I’d hoped it would be. Earl, Roberts, Caraher and although I like him, I hoped Williams would be a 15 ppg guy by now. He may get there yet. That said, CMA needs to be evaluated by his choices. Yes, he was gifted Heron and these other guys. Was that a good present? I went to and watched a lot of games. Heron and LJ pissed the staff off constantly with their dragging it on d. Coach is no nonsense. He pulled them right out of the game. Embarrassed them. So, was “injured” and LJ took his ball left.

Between Lavin and Mullin, Lavin was better, but he wasn’t good either. Lest we forget, he took a loaded team to the NIT a la Brian Mahoney because he couldn’t outthink anyone. 

I will still take a coach with a system of some kind over a recruiter who is overmatched once the ball goes up. Lavin saw how well Dunlap worked with the team. He had a great system, with our without him. All he needed to do was find a coach who could team it as well. Dunlap left, but did Lavin replace him? Nope.

« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2020, 10:27:54 PM »
I do not get the hate directed at Cole. The kid singlehandedly saved us from two losses already. He’s not going to hit all of those big shots.

A lot of first year guys on the roster so I’m going to give them some slack early on. It’s still disappointing to lose to a pair of .500 teams and start another season in the hole, though.

I would think our style of play would make us stronger than more complex styles early in the year.

I don't think we need to live in extremes. It's not a love or hate.

Cole has basically won us two games. Can't deny that and think he has some good skills. He's a much better shooter than I expected or had hoped for but he lacks ball handling and quickness which is a detriment against Big East conference level opponents.

If Cole was our 6-7th man no one would be complaining but he was counted on to be our 3rd best player. This goes into deeper rooted questions about recruiting and incoming talent.

Specifically for Cole I think he's gotten some unfair heat lately due to false expectations. Dude had no preseason, had knee injury, and I think that has set him back at a bit. I also think he needs to get his feet wet in conference play. I don't think we've seen his best ball in conference play and need to give him a pass.

I think there is a talent gap between LJ and Cole. Say what you will about LJ but he was superior both physically and skills. We need to close that gap from top to bottom on this roster.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2020, 10:48:20 PM »
I don't think we need to live in extremes. It's not a love or hate.

Cole has basically won us two games. Can't deny that and think he has some good skills. He's a much better shooter than I expected or had hoped for but he lacks ball handling and quickness which is a detriment against Big East conference level opponents.

If Cole was our 6-7th man no one would be complaining but he was counted on to be our 3rd best player. This goes into deeper rooted questions about recruiting and incoming talent.

Specifically for Cole I think he's gotten some unfair heat lately due to false expectations. Dude had no preseason, had knee injury, and I think that has set him back at a bit. I also think he needs to get his feet wet in conference play. I don't think we've seen his best ball in conference play and need to give him a pass.

I think there is a talent gap between LJ and Cole. Say what you will about LJ but he was superior both physically and skills. We need to close that gap from top to bottom on this roster.

Cole is a Big East caliber starter. JUCOs tend to take some time to adjust and Cole didn't even play in a top league at JUCO.  I don't love his shot, but he has a pure release.  He can score in a bunch of ways...the kid desperately needs 10-15 lbs of muscle, though.  I see a lot of potential.  If other Big East teams drafted our players, the first three to go would be Posh, Champ, and Cole. I think he has big time potential, but I also don't see him lighting the world on fire the first 15 games.

Marillac

« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2020, 10:51:24 PM »
The improvement isn’t what I’d hoped it would be. Earl, Roberts, Caraher and although I like him, I hoped Williams would be a 15 ppg guy by now. He may get there yet. That said, CMA needs to be evaluated by his choices. Yes, he was gifted Heron and these other guys. Was that a good present? I went to and watched a lot of games. Heron and LJ pissed the staff off constantly with their dragging it on d. Coach is no nonsense. He pulled them right out of the game. Embarrassed them. So, was “injured” and LJ took his ball left.

Between Lavin and Mullin, Lavin was better, but he wasn’t good either. Lest we forget, he took a loaded team to the NIT a la Brian Mahoney because he couldn’t outthink anyone. 

I will still take a coach with a system of some kind over a recruiter who is overmatched once the ball goes up. Lavin saw how well Dunlap worked with the team. He had a great system, with our without him. All he needed to do was find a coach who could team it as well. Dunlap left, but did Lavin replace him? Nope.

Two weeks ago you were complimenting Anderson on his player development.  Care to walk that back?

Poison

« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2020, 08:33:20 AM »
Two weeks ago you were complimenting Anderson on his player development.  Care to walk that back?

I always admit when I'm wrong about a prediction, but I'm not wrong or right yet. Just like you're not wrong yet for saying Cole was a stud, despite never having seen him play live.