2/3 Villanova Game Thread

• 80 replies
Re: 2/3 Villanova Game Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2021, 12:14:21 AM »
Champ vs Robinson-Earl is the matchup I want to see. Good test for our guy. I think playing at carnesseca will help and I think we’ll be in the game late but I don’t see us beating them tonight.

These guys know each other well. Both played on UAA against each other. Both their teams were respectively amongst the best. They battled.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2021, 12:15:55 AM »
It was surreal to see Nova and Gillespie in particular like that.  And I have no doubt they'll be great against us next time, because they are Nova.  But this wasn't a game where Nova lost because they got shot out of the gym.  Or because we had a bunch of guys knock down a million 3s or a great player (like Ponds) just took over the game.  Our defense and tenacity crushed them.

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2021, 12:17:24 AM »
These guys know each other well. Both played on UAA against each other. Both their teams were respectively amongst the best. They battled.

Champ competed his a** off tonight.  He didn't sulk when struggling on offense.  And he made a few huge shots when we needed it. 

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2021, 12:18:50 AM »
It was surreal to see Nova and Gillespie in particular like that.  And I have no doubt they'll be great against us next time, because they are Nova.  But this wasn't a game where Nova lost because they got shot out of the gym.  Or because we had a bunch of guys knock down a million 3s or a great player (like Ponds) just took over the game.  Our defense and tenacity crushed them.

Posh and Wasu are tough mf'ers. They straight up out physical Nova guys which was impressive.

Poison

« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2021, 12:35:15 AM »
Posh is going to rookie of year and make a case for defensive player of year.

Wusu is a beast and with him having a respectable jump shot he can get the defenders to bite on his shot fake and then bullies his way to layup.

I was very impressed with Moore tonight thought he did all little things well played solid defense and rebounded. Earlington too I thought played good defense but he needs to finish those easy layups.

Julian had a double double on an off night this team is very deep

The difference in this team when Moore, Earlington and Roberts defend well is what we saw tonight.

I don’t think it’s overstating it to say that this is one of the best wins in program history.

Coach Anderson should be allowed to keep his job at least through the end of the season, and then we’ll see I guess. He’s gotta start landing some local talent or we’re gonna have to move on.

« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2021, 12:52:46 AM »
Regarding St. John's the whole (team) is greater than the sum of it's parts (players).

« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2021, 01:17:39 AM »
The difference in this team when Moore, Earlington and Roberts defend well is what we saw tonight.

I don’t think it’s overstating it to say that this is one of the best wins in program history.

Coach Anderson should be allowed to keep his job at least through the end of the season, and then we’ll see I guess. He’s gotta start landing some local talent or we’re gonna have to move on.

+100 😂😂 great closing!! ....was on the locker room app with Fanta and Rob Dauster breaking down the game (very cool insight they do with instant reactions and interacting with guys like us) and Fanta came out and said Posh is pretty much a lock for ROY and he is front runner for DPOY. We really hit a grand slam with him and he says the Utah Valley game was best thing Anderson could have done cause it got Moore and Cole out of there slumps and kept team fresh with no layoff.

Rob then did a power rankings and had us at 6 and Fanta had us at 5.

« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2021, 01:17:56 AM »
Hey Carmine it's a good thing the first 3 coaching choices turned us down, huh?
I don't like to pass judgement on coaches mid-season.  According to Cfc it worked out well for Mrs. Cfc so hopefully it will for us as well.

6 and 6 two thirds in is exciting. Not as much fun as watching them live but that's the way it goes in the covid era.  I hope Williams is ok.  He didn't play much if at all after the big dunk.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 01:44:58 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2021, 02:32:05 AM »
That was about as fun a game as I've watched as fan in sometime.  Not just because we won, but because of how we won.  This wasn't Ponds putting on some insane performance where he drops 30+, is unstoppable and a few other guys make enough plays.  The toughness and tenacity our kids played with threw Nova so out of whack.  You never seem them like that.  Gillespie is so good and tough as nails, and Posh basically took his soul tonight.

This!!!

For all you Mike Anderson haters out there, there’s a lot more where that came from. I’ve never understood the impatience of this fan base, but the cries to get rid of MA after 1.5 (Covid) seasons were comical.

This coach has brought an identity to this program that is unlike any other in this conference. Lav actually said it on FS1 tonight. Creighton (let it fly from 3), Nova (methodical offense) and St. John’s (94 ft of pressure D) are the only teams in the BE with a unique style of play. The other 8 just play a pretty standard brand of basketball.

Well, MA is showing what his teams can do when his players are in place and they have some time to come together as a unit. Will it translate to a Final Four? Who knows. But what I do know is he has brought an identity to this program that has been lacking for 20+ years. It doesn’t take an out of this world game every 4 years from a Dwight Hardy or Shamorie Ponds to knock off a Top 5 team.

This is St John’s basketball now. Expect it every single night. Against any team, anywhere.

« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2021, 05:39:37 AM »
Amazing win. Fell down 7-0 and of course it was Posh who hit a 3 to settle us in. From there we controlled the game completely. Full court pressure, half-court close-outs, and some solid offensive execution. Everyone who played contributed.

It’s easy to point out how well Posh is playing, it’s unreal honestly, but Wusu was tremendous yesterday and has been during this stretch. He bodied up Gillespie on one play and shut down Moore on the next. He looked like he could have took out any one of Novas guys last night and again he’s only a freshmen. Their is no ceiling for our backcourt.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Johnny23

« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2021, 06:59:19 AM »
I would have to say Greg Williams now has 2 of the best dunks in SJU history. Last night and last season against Brown.

« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2021, 08:23:20 AM »
Saw on redmen Someone posted Mullin’s last year we had two ranked wins and we followed both them up with clunkers against Providence / another clunker  vs Providence in BET during lavin year, feel like the let down happens a lot - we run into them after big win....we need to win Saturday. Providence looked awful last night and also lost to Georgetown last Saturday. We know we going to get there A game Saturday.

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2021, 10:16:43 AM »
Great game.  Really enjoy watching this team coming together.  Staff has done a great job getting them to believe in themselves.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2021, 10:17:33 AM »
Also Williams made SCTop10

« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2021, 10:29:34 AM »
Net rankings up to 68.  Need to handle Providence for once

Johnny23

« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2021, 10:34:06 AM »
Also Williams made SCTop10

Nice. Well deserved.

« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2021, 05:00:01 PM »
Good win, team playing defense.

« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2021, 12:44:27 AM »
This!!!

For all you Mike Anderson haters out there, there’s a lot more where that came from. I’ve never understood the impatience of this fan base, but the cries to get rid of MA after 1.5 (Covid) seasons were comical.

This coach has brought an identity to this program that is unlike any other in this conference. Lav actually said it on FS1 tonight. Creighton (let it fly from 3), Nova (methodical offense) and St. John’s (94 ft of pressure D) are the only teams in the BE with a unique style of play. The other 8 just play a pretty standard brand of basketball.

Well, MA is showing what his teams can do when his players are in place and they have some time to come together as a unit. Will it translate to a Final Four? Who knows. But what I do know is he has brought an identity to this program that has been lacking for 20+ years. It doesn’t take an out of this world game every 4 years from a Dwight Hardy or Shamorie Ponds to knock off a Top 5 team.

This is St John’s basketball now. Expect it every single night. Against any team, anywhere.

I can appreciate this. I'm not sure anyone called for him to be fired and do think the floor has risen, the system is place, and team will be more consistent year over year.

I still worry about the ceiling. Nova, Creighton, X, UConn all better. I think Providence, Marquette take a step up and we're in that tier.

Seton Hall, Butler, Georgetown, and DePaul are not gonna be very good.

Johnny23

« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2021, 07:49:32 AM »
I can appreciate this. I'm not sure anyone called for him to be fired and do think the floor has risen, the system is place, and team will be more consistent year over year.

I still worry about the ceiling. Nova, Creighton, X, UConn all better. I think Providence, Marquette take a step up and we're in that tier.

Seton Hall, Butler, Georgetown, and DePaul are not gonna be very good.

I disagree. Seton Hall has been a better program than SJU for several years now and I expect them to stay relevant. Also not so sure about Marquette with Wojo's annual late season collapses.

« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2021, 09:04:02 AM »
I disagree. Seton Hall has been a better program than SJU for several years now and I expect them to stay relevant. Also not so sure about Marquette with Wojo's annual late season collapses.

Seton Hall will be rebuilding