Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA - BAYLOR

• 1016 replies

LJSA

Re: Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2011, 01:38:47 PM »
If the staff can't close on him in early signing period than I think they could drop off him and get another PG leaving him out in the cold.

And all this time I thought Jevon Thomas was a PG...

So when are our insiders going to tell us the real scoop with Thomas?

CDW

« Reply #121 on: May 31, 2011, 02:18:37 PM »
Based on what I have been reading over the past 2 months Anderson is the better player over Gathers, but Gathers is currently the bigger need. Anderson's skills appear to be similar and in most cases better than the 2011 incoming class. Gathers fills a big need of someone controlling the boards. If there are 2-3 players that can help control the boards it really frees up the guards and wings for transition baskets. It appears Gathers would be the best rebounder, which allows teammates to focus more energy at playing the passing lanes with Pelle blocking shots and Gathers grabbing rebounds. The future for this basketball team is brighter than any other team in any sport in the tri-state at any level!

Moose

« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2011, 02:20:35 PM »
If the staff can't close on him in early signing period than I think they could drop off him and get another PG leaving him out in the cold.

It's been speculated for awhile by a number of posters here.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #123 on: May 31, 2011, 03:11:39 PM »
Rivals recap of Ricardo at the LA edition of EYBL-

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1226857

Ricardo Gathers, PF, Louisiana Select- Bottom line, Gathers puts up big numbers each and every time he takes the court. Everybody knows about his strength and athleticism, but perhaps his skill has been a bit underrated and he's definitely one of the toughest competitors in the country. The powerfully built Louisiana native finished his weekend with 26 and 15 despite being constantly double- and triple-teamed, and mauled around the basket.

I should get a chance to see him play in another month, as his AAU team advanced to the Peach Jam.  Gathers is a freakin' bull!

MJ, you have the Peach Jam locked down every year. I look forward to your report back to us.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 06:35:37 PM by jumpinjohnny »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #124 on: May 31, 2011, 04:26:28 PM »

Ricardo Gathers, PF, Louisiana Select- Bottom line, Gathers puts up big numbers each and every time he takes the court. Everybody knows about his strength and athleticism, but perhaps his skill has been a bit underrated and he's definitely one of the toughest competitors in the country. The powerfully built Louisiana native finished his weekend with 26 and 15 despite being constantly double- and triple-teamed, and mauled around the basket.

Apparently he does not shoot free throws very well though.

?

Eric Bossi of Rivals noted that his EYBL numbers would be that much better if he shot FT's better.  Apparently he is under 50% for EYBL.
He shoots Shaq level free throws. Posted on the Rumble this AM about Gathers... he also is taking too many threes (20 of them. He made 1 in the 3 EYBL sessions): http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2011/5/31/2199110/st-johns-recruiting-tracker-ricardo-gathers-nike-eybl

« Reply #125 on: May 31, 2011, 04:37:17 PM »

MJ, you have the Peach Jam locked down every year. I look forward to your report back to us.

I should get a chance to see him play in another month, as his AAU team advanced to the Peach Jam.  Gathers is a freakin' bull!

No doubt, purist!  Thanks, as well.  I'm definitely looking forward to it.

« Reply #126 on: May 31, 2011, 05:08:45 PM »

This team could use more than 1 PG on the roster. If Nuri doesn't go pro which he is being pushed to do then they could still use another PG as Stith will be graduating.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 05:09:09 PM by Dave »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2011, 08:20:09 PM »

This team could use more than 1 PG on the roster. If Nuri doesn't go pro which he is being pushed to do then they could still use another PG as Stith will be graduating.

All of this contingent of course, on Lindsey being as ood as some say and he is as good as he thinks he is.  He recently tweeted that he's assuring he'll be a first team All Big East player this season.  Don't get me wrong, I hope he's as good as he thinks he is but it will be a lot stiffer competition than he has ever played against.  IF he is that good this season, then St john's will be extremely good. 

Moose

« Reply #128 on: June 01, 2011, 09:22:09 AM »

No doubt, purist!  Thanks, as well.  I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Dink

Here is the field I think-

The teams qualifying for July's Peach Jam are Team Takeover, Oakland Soldiers, Spiece Indy Heat, Louisiana Select, Albany City Rocks, Howard Pulley, BABC, Memphis YOMCA, Mac Irvin Fire, All Ohio Red, Team Texas Titans, The Family, Mean Streets, CIA Bounce, Playaz BBC, Georgia Stars, All Iowa Attack, Boo Williams, Athlete's First, Houston Hoops, Baltimore Elite, CP3, California Supreme and the Southern Kings Gold.

« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2011, 09:24:54 AM »
Dink

The teams qualifying for July's Peach Jam are Team Takeover, Oakland Soldiers, Spiece Indy Heat, Louisiana Select, Albany City Rocks, Howard Pulley, BABC, Memphis YOMCA, Mac Irvin Fire, All Ohio Red, Team Texas Titans, The Family, Mean Streets, CIA Bounce, Playaz BBC, Georgia Stars, All Iowa Attack, Boo Williams, Athlete's First, Houston Hoops, Baltimore Elite, CP3, California Supreme and the Southern Kings Gold.

Yes, I saw the field on yesterday, Moose.  Nevertheless, appreciate it.

Moose

« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2011, 09:26:52 AM »
Dink

So in addition to Gathers what other targets are on those teams?

« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2011, 09:53:44 AM »
Dink

I believe Playaz BBC is actually the NJ Playaz.  So, that would mean Kyle Anderson would be the only other 2012 target at the Peach Jam.  I see the Gauchos and MetroHawks didn't make it, as I was hoping to see Thomas and Bernardi.

Moose

« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2011, 10:05:45 AM »
Dink

I believe Playaz BBC is actually the NJ Playaz.  So, that would mean Kyle Anderson would be the only other 2012 target at the Peach Jam.  I see the Gauchos and MetroHawks didn't make it, as I was hoping to see Thomas and Bernardi.

I can't keep track of Thomas.  Gauchos, Metro Hawks, Juice, etc....

Moose

« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2011, 06:59:10 PM »
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1227433

4. It's Ok to be an "undersized" power forward

While it's certainly not ideal to be in the 6-foot-6 to 6-foot-7 range as a power forward, it doesn't mean a player can't make an impact all the way up to the NBA level. Players who embrace that they are a little undersized, play with physicality, have skill and most of all play like warriors on the glass can do a lot to let their game make up for a little bit in lost height or length. This is evident in the way guys like Ricardo Gathers, Jarnell Stokes and Anthony Bennett were able to dominate every step of the way during EYBL play. Each of those guys plays a grown man's brand of basketball that is predicated upon out toughing anybody in their path and then supplementing their brute strength with skill and touch.

Hopefully, more similarly built players will get the message and look to guys like Charles Barkley, Larry Johnson, Corliss Williamson, Elton Brand, Rodney Rogers, Clarence Witherspoon, Paul Milsap, Jason Maxiell as guys to pattern their game after rather than trying to force themselves into a small forward position that doesn't fit them.

gman

« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2011, 07:34:11 PM »
You can Kenneth Faried to that list.  He is only 6'6" and only set the all-time NCAA rebounds record.

« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2011, 04:10:40 PM »
Gathers was scheduled to be at Pangos in LA this weekend but I have not seen one tweet or article mentioning him.

I don't think he went.

MCNPA

« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
Fwiw, per Gathers twitter, he was scheduled to visit Texas this past Monday.  I now none of us wanted that, but we have to contend with the big boys if we want to RU. With em.  Fwiw, his friend in response said to him that NYC is where it's at... :)

Moose

« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2011, 09:06:04 PM »
Saw him last night.  Kid is a beast.  A mack truck on a pogo stick.  That is all I will say for now. ;)

« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2011, 10:38:17 PM »
Saw him last night.  Kid is a beast.  A mack truck on a pogo stick.  That is all I will say for now. ;)

Is that mack truck painted red?

MCNPA

« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2011, 11:28:15 PM »

What's between the lines is usually the best part... :P