Brian Bernardi - SG - Xaverian HS - Brooklyn, NY - SMU

• 148 replies

LJSA

Re: Brian Bernardi - SG - Xaverian HS - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2011, 10:47:46 PM »
Tried looking him up on ESPN, couldnt find him, found him on rivals, not rated. Why isnt he rated if he is as good as many of the posters say?

My guess is that his game is better suited for a structured offense. How many evaluators for these sites traveled to Xaverian in February to watch him play? Probably a lot less than the number who saw him over the summer in AAU, where as a shooting guard they may have witnessed him struggle defensively against the other teams' stars.

Poison

« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2011, 11:32:30 PM »
He says he's looking into BC. How many no name guards have turned into stars?

Rankings are great for an average, but there are always sleepers.

We have to know that more than one if recruits will either start off very raw, and become great over time. And some will just not be able to adjust to the college game.

« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2011, 06:00:55 AM »
Tried looking him up on ESPN, couldnt find him, found him on rivals, not rated. Why isnt he rated if he is as good as many of the posters say?

I rest my case.
Fire Mullin.

« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2011, 07:02:54 AM »

I rest my case.

Where was Dwight Hardy ranked? Im sure not too many heard of him either, but they found out
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:03:49 AM by Marco Baldi »

Gumby

« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2011, 01:57:38 PM »
Forget for a moment about us possibly wanting to recruit Brian. 

With Brian's apparent improving game, from his point of view, why would he want to be an 11th-13th player on our team?  We seem to have so much talent this coming season and probably will next season as well.  From most accounts, his playing time would possibly be limited to when we need some points fast.

He may want to be on the court as a starter some where else.

Moose

« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2011, 02:39:03 PM »

With Brian's apparent improving game, from his point of view, why would he want to be an 11th-13th player on our team?  We seem to have so much talent this coming season and probably will next season as well.  From most accounts, his playing time would possibly be limited to when we need some points fast.

True.  But for each kid who wants to be a star there might be one that realizes his basketball career will not go beyond college.  And he might see a national championship as a 11-13 player.  And he might want to stay close to home.  Too many factors honestly and each person is different.  Brian very well might want to be a star but he also might want to be part of a winner.
Remember who broke the Slice news

LJSA

« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2011, 04:08:10 PM »

True.  But for each kid who wants to be a star there might be one that realizes his basketball career will not go beyond college.  And he might see a national championship as a 11-13 player.  And he might want to stay close to home.  Too many factors honestly and each person is different.  Brian very well might want to be a star but he also might want to be part of a winner.

He certainly won't win an NCAA tournament game in four years at Hofstra. If recent history means anything, he may never even have the chance to.

Gumby

« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2011, 05:10:12 PM »
Good points! 

The recruitment of someone with Brian's focused level of talent is a two-sided sword.  On one side here we are debating whether Brian should be recruited by Coach Lavin to fill a small part (but perhaps a possible expanding part) on our team. 

On the other hand, Brian has to decide how he wants to spend his college basketball life- a part-timer on a top NCAA-contending team or a starter on a middle of the pack team.

From my point of view, I would love to have a sharp shooter on my team.  With a hot hand he can change the course of a tight game real fast.  I remember at the SMC game that SMC guy broke our spirit by repeatedly hitting those 3's from the corner.

I have also been a part-timer on winners and a full-timer on non-winners.  It definitely is more fun to play for the  gold year after year.  It keeps you sharp.

With Brian, it will probably come down to how much he develops and who is interested in him.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2011, 11:57:40 PM »
Why would Bernardi fill a small part all 4 years? If a couple of players go pro, transfer, or don't pan out, he could get major time junior year and be part of the experienced core his senior year.

Dan

« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2011, 01:24:21 AM »
Why would Bernardi fill a small part all 4 years? If a couple of players go pro, transfer, or don't pan out, he could get major time junior year and be part of the experienced core his senior year.

It's still a gamble on his part.  If he's confident in his talents like he seems to be, he may very well take that gamble.  He could play an ever growing part in the team or he could be buried on the bench if other, more physically gifted, players pan out.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

gonzalo

« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2011, 12:03:48 PM »
Some news and quotes from Bernardi

http://johnnyjungle.com/columns/over-the-airwaves/brian-bernardi-of-xaverian-could-be-new-yorks-hidden-gem/

I was going to ask if the interest of St. John´s about Bernardi was high. In the article it appears the answer:

According to Alesi, interest from St. John’s is “lukewarm” at the moment, but assistant coaches Rico Hines and Tony Chiles have watched him work out and there has been “dialogue” between the two sides.

« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2011, 01:54:48 PM »
Bernardi leaning towards Hofstra?

Moose

« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2011, 02:05:51 PM »
Bernardi leaning towards Hofstra?

Overheard his family mention 3 teams at the Rumble.  STJ, Gtown and BC.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:12:28 PM by Moose »

« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2011, 02:08:03 PM »
According to Kline, Temple is showing interest and Bernardi is taking another visit to G'town this weekend.

Moose

« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »
According to Kline, Temple is showing interest and Bernardi is taking another visit to G'town this weekend.

Heard the Gtown visit mentioned as well.

« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2011, 02:12:55 PM »
He's visiting BC, not BU. June 25th.

gonzalo

« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2011, 02:44:24 AM »
http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011-0705/recruiting-expands-for-brian-bernardi/

“I like Boston College, Hofstra, Fordham, Georgetown, Xavier, Providence but I am still looking in to other schools,” replied Bernardi when asked if he had any favorites or leaders. “I have offers from Hofstra, Fordham, Boston University, Iona, Manhattan, East Carolina, Wagner [and] Marist.”

Moose

« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2011, 08:41:56 AM »
http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011-0705/recruiting-expands-for-brian-bernardi/

“I like Boston College, Hofstra, Fordham, Georgetown, Xavier, Providence but I am still looking in to other schools,” replied Bernardi when asked if he had any favorites or leaders. “I have offers from Hofstra, Fordham, Boston University, Iona, Manhattan, East Carolina, Wagner [and] Marist.”

Props to Pecora if he can land him.  I think Fordham would be great fit.

gonzalo

« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2011, 12:14:25 PM »
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:53:54 AM by gonzalo »