Orlando Sanchez - PF - Monroe CC - Nagua, DR - ST. JOHN'S

• 864 replies
Re: Orlando Sanchez - PF - Monroe CC - Nagua, DR - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #840 on: January 24, 2013, 09:23:04 PM »
If Sanchez isn't eligible to play, why is he still with us?

Why not?  Initially it was because he hoped an appeal may overturn his initial decision. That takes awhile.

But at this point if he is allowed to stay on schollie and he wants to keep going to class and it is not like SJU is going to use the schollie on someone else mid-season who does it hurt?

Keep in mind this is not an academic issue where he goes back to a prep school or JUCO to gain eligibility.  If he was deemed to have compromised his amateur status then it doesn't matter what school he goes to at this point.

If he cares about his academics enough to partake in them, more power to him. I assumed he'd take off once it was set in stone that he isn't suiting up. My point was to suggest that maybe this isn't over yet.

I know and my guess is assuming he is allowed to practice it allows him to hone his skills and get an education while he contemplates his next move.

Moose

« Reply #841 on: January 24, 2013, 10:07:08 PM »
You can give a scholarship to anyone you want.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #842 on: January 24, 2013, 10:55:17 PM »
You can give a scholarship to anyone you want.

yyeeeep... 

« Reply #843 on: January 30, 2013, 11:31:34 AM »
i think we can officially put the Sanchez story to rest:

from his FB:
Bueno ya mi vida esta cambiando retirado del basket por un tiempo mi gente es hora de estudiar.

Well, my life is changing. Retiring from basketball for a while.  It's time to study.

sounds like he will take advantage of his scholly to concentrate on school.

paultzman

« Reply #844 on: February 03, 2013, 06:11:42 PM »
Guess it's OS fwiw?

@SammyAlbano: What current Juco banned by @NCAA has hired a lawyer to fight 4 eligibilty+damages? Word has it @NCAA may be rethinking its decision!

« Reply #845 on: February 03, 2013, 08:29:16 PM »
been waiting for this! :crazy2:

Moose

« Reply #846 on: February 06, 2013, 10:39:11 PM »
No Sanchez behind the bench tonight.

« Reply #847 on: February 06, 2013, 10:59:20 PM »
But was on the big screen for certain SJU promo's during timeouts, ha.

Moose

« Reply #848 on: February 06, 2013, 11:00:09 PM »
But was on the big screen for certain SJU promo's during timeouts, ha.

There in spirit :)

« Reply #849 on: February 08, 2013, 07:56:34 AM »
some people from the monroe college athletic department had tix to the game and i'm told he sat with them.

pmg911

« Reply #850 on: February 22, 2013, 07:10:22 AM »
In the end, it looks like Lenn Robbins was fed a line of BS from the school and Zags had the story nailed.

The schools handling of this situation is a little embarrassing. I am sure there are limits on what they can say due to privacy concerns but they could have been somewhat honest with the fan base.

paultzman

« Reply #851 on: February 22, 2013, 08:15:01 AM »
In the end, it looks like Lenn Robbins was fed a line of BS from the school and Zags had the story nailed.

The schools handling of this situation is a little embarrassing. I am sure there are limits on what they can say due to privacy concerns but they could have been somewhat honest with the fan base.

Absolutely on point! Poorly handled! That Lenn piece SJU planted was a disgrace and subsequent silence disconcerting.

« Reply #852 on: February 22, 2013, 02:31:47 PM »

Absolutely on point! Poorly handled! That Lenn piece SJU planted was a disgrace and subsequent silence disconcerting.

Unless they both had sources inside the program and perhaps Lenn jumped the gun or miss interpreted what his sources told him or were trying to say.

Keep in mind similar thing happened with Momo Jones.  Lenn point blank said in an article he was transferring to SJU.  There were other hurdles that needed to be overcome and eventually were not so my guess is Lenn only got half the story or chose not to follow up.

« Reply #853 on: February 27, 2013, 04:57:41 PM »

Right on target as usual.  ;)

pmg911

« Reply #854 on: March 01, 2013, 08:52:39 AM »
Positive outcome or not for Snachez - Robbins was still given a complete and total line of BS from someoner at the school.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:53:07 AM by pmg911 »

paultzman

« Reply #855 on: March 01, 2013, 09:21:31 AM »
Positive outcome or not for Snachez - Robbins was still given a complete and total line of BS from someoner at the school.

Can't argue with that.

« Reply #856 on: July 16, 2013, 08:59:07 PM »
not sure if this has been posted before, but this appears to be the best video highlights of Orlando's game.  His passing ability stands out to me.

Orlando Sanchez gonbadraft.com highlights

LJSA

« Reply #857 on: July 17, 2013, 01:59:32 AM »
I don't think most writers realize how good he can be, which is why we may end up being ranked much higher than we'll likely be given credit for in preseason polls. His passing and rebounding will add a lot to this team, and he may be able to chip in one to two blocks as well. Rysheed and D'Lo will get a lot of open looks after kick outs.

« Reply #858 on: July 17, 2013, 10:44:55 AM »
I don't think most writers realize how good he can be, which is why we may end up being ranked much higher than we'll likely be given credit for in preseason polls. His passing and rebounding will add a lot to this team, and he may be able to chip in one to two blocks as well. Rysheed and D'Lo will get a lot of open looks after kick outs.

Absolutely, two of our biggest weaknesses last year were not having a point guard who could break down the defense or a big man who was skilled offensively. Looks like we have gone a long way in fixing both of those.

As excited as I am to see Rysheed, I'm equally excited to see Orlando.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

bk8664

« Reply #859 on: July 17, 2013, 11:03:01 AM »

Absolutely, two of our biggest weaknesses last year were not having a point guard who could break down the defense or a big man who was skilled offensively. Looks like we have gone a long way in fixing both of those.

As excited as I am to see Rysheed, I'm equally excited to see Orlando.

Rebounding should get better as well, and really, the third main issue was outside shooting... i really really hope all the wings/guards have been working like crazy on their jumpers.  If the jump shot has improved we'll crush a lot of teams based on that + what you've discussed above.