Jonathan Severe - SG - Christ the King HS - New York, N.Y. - FORDHAM

• 676 replies

Happy

Re: Jonathan Severe - SG - Christ the King HS - New York, N.Y.
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2013, 09:25:03 PM »
“@Dylan_Butler: Alabama was in Bay Ridge to recruit Severe #msgvrecruit”
Let me guess, is he still being over-recruited?

Yes

Chilleb

« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2013, 09:44:53 PM »

Yes
When are you gonna let my boy off the hook, im almost ready to start saying hes better than terrence samuel. 3rd best guard behind whitehead and carrington. Had 25 against xaverian 17 in the first half, did you catch that one?

Happy

« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2013, 09:49:36 PM »

Yes
When are you gonna let my boy off the hook, im almost ready to start saying hes better than terrence samuel. 3rd best guard behind whitehead and carrington. Had 25 against xaverian 17 in the first half, did you catch that one?

He is better than Samuel.  I said many times that I like his game a lot.. I also like him better then Carrington.  Problem is that he is a 6'2 ( pushing it) shooting guard.  He just isn't a point guard and if he was I'd say our staff was nuts for not recruiting him.  This is the only reason i say he should go a-10 etc.  he could just dominate from day one.  If he goes higher he stands the chance of getting over recruited because of size. That's it. Nothing else. 

« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2013, 09:54:40 PM »
Think we start showing serious interest?

Chilleb

« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2013, 09:59:11 PM »

Yes

He is better than Samuel.  I said many times that I like his game a lot.. I also like him better then Carrington.  Problem is that he is a 6'2 ( pushing it) shooting guard.  He just isn't a point guard and if he was I'd say our staff was nuts for not recruiting him.  This is the only reason i say he should go a-10 etc.  he could just dominate from day one.  If he goes higher he stands the chance of getting over recruited because of size. That's it. Nothing else.
Yea he's better than Samuel , uconn is in for some over recruited talent next year because Kentan is just that. But I believe sever can make the transition to on the ball with the right coaching, he has a great feel and can shoot the ball, think about it when other did Dwight hardy play point up until his senior year?and  I think severe is a step quicker and more athletic than hardy, hardy just has balls of steel.

Moose

« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2013, 10:03:57 PM »
Any chance he preps?  I'd take him in '14
Remember who broke the Slice news

Happy

« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2013, 10:08:14 PM »

His academics are supposedly very good.

Happy

« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2013, 10:09:25 PM »

Yes

Yea he's better than Samuel , uconn is in for some over recruited talent next year because Kentan is just that. But I believe sever can make the transition to on the ball with the right coaching, he has a great feel and can shoot the ball, think about it when other did Dwight hardy play point up until his senior year?and  I think severe is a step quicker and more athletic than hardy, hardy just has balls of steel.

Agree to disagree :).  It would be better for him to go lower IMO :).  But do like the kid .

gman

« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2013, 10:23:02 PM »

His academics are supposedly very good.

Then he is off our list

Chilleb

« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2013, 03:10:00 AM »

Yes

Agree to disagree :).  It would be better for him to go lower IMO :).  But do like the kid .
Think he could be a cj McCullough type  if he goes lower?

Happy

« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2013, 06:36:45 AM »

Yes

Think he could be a cj McCullough type  if he goes lower?

It would be wonderful if he had that type of career in college.  McCullough did it the right way and now he will be playing for pay for a very long time because of it.

« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2013, 06:08:19 PM »
I have never seen this kid play. But Russ Smith couldn't get a sniff out of Molloy. He was the type of kid labeled as "too small", "not a Big East player". Now he's one of the best guards in the country. If the kid has heart, and the work ethic, you never know what he can turn into. Sounds like this kid can score the ball.

Happy

« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2013, 06:41:06 PM »
I have never seen this kid play. But Russ Smith couldn't get a sniff out of Molloy. He was the type of kid labeled as "too small", "not a Big East player". Now he's one of the best guards in the country. If the kid has heart, and the work ethic, you never know what he can turn into. Sounds like this kid can score the ball.

Russ made himself into some type of college player in his senior season.  Before that he was making Pitino lose hair :).  Severe can play and he can play at Big east level.. Difference between him and Russ though is about 30mph.  Holy crap is Russ fast.  My argument with Chileb was never about Severe's talent.. I just would hate to see him not get a full opportunity to excel from day one .   Things change and if we miss out on Lawrence and Jordan .. Maybe we show interest .. But there are schools who have been recruiting him since his sophmore season and the kid is very loyal .   

« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2013, 06:47:25 PM »

Russ made himself into some type of college player in his senior season.  Before that he was making Pitino lose hair :).  Severe can play and he can play at Big east level.. Difference between him and Russ though is about 30mph.  Holy crap is Russ fast.  My argument with Chileb was never about Severe's talent.. I just would hate to see him not get a full opportunity to excel from day one .   Things change and if we miss out on Lawrence and Jordan .. Maybe we show interest .. But there are schools who have been recruiting him since his sophmore season and the kid is very loyal .   

Smith is a junior I thought.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Happy

« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2013, 06:48:51 PM »

You are right .. Damn I feel like he has been at Louisville forever .

sju89tr

« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2013, 06:58:50 PM »

You are right .. Damn I feel like he has been at Louisville forever .

It sure seems that way huh

Happy

« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2013, 08:11:52 PM »
I get on the staff for not going after more targets.. But I guess at least we don't  waste time going after kids.  I was told tonight that Fordham is throwing everything but the kitchen sink at Severe.   Now that's a waste of time .

paultzman

« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2013, 05:18:18 PM »
Chilleb, why can't he get 40? Ha!

“@CNG_Staszewski: Christ the King beats Mount 77-56. Jon Severe had 39 for the Royals. #boyshoops”

Oops!

“@NYCHoops: Contrary to reports, George Washington still interested in Jon Severe as head coach watched him score 41pts vs. Mt. St. Michael tonight.”
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 05:40:25 PM by paultzman »

Chilleb

« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2013, 08:22:50 PM »

“@CNG_Staszewski: Christ the King beats Mount 77-56. Jon Severe had 39 for the Royals. #boyshoops”

Oops!

“@NYCHoops: Contrary to reports, George Washington still interested in Jon Severe as head coach watched him score 41pts vs. Mt. St. Michael tonight.”
I'm trying to tell them paultz, he's better than GW

goredmen

« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2013, 01:29:29 AM »

Oops!

I'm trying to tell them paultz, he's better than GW

The kid is taking about 30 shots a game and turns the ball over way too much. He plays like Russ Smith did at Molloy except Smith had far more basketball skills while Severe is just more athletic than everybody at the hs level. Hes not a big conference player