Jevon Thomas - PG - OSNA - Rosedale, NY - KANSAS STATE

• 378 replies

Moose

Re: Jevon Thomas - PG - OSNA - Rosedale, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #141 on: July 06, 2011, 10:43:03 AM »
http://stjohns.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=1171&script=content.asp&cid=1237370&fid=&tid=&mid=

How has Jevon Thomas performed thus far this AAU season and do you view him as a potential instant starter at St. John's? What do you view as his area most in need of improvement?

- Clint from Norfolk

I was impressed with Thomas' play in April at the first session of the Nike EYBL. He was very quick from baseline to baseline and did a great job penetrating and then finding the open man.

The question about his game is how well he shoots the basketball. His speed with the basketball and penetration ability will get him playing time. If he establishes himself as an outside shooting threat, then he does have a chance to start as an impact player.

Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #142 on: July 07, 2011, 03:11:24 AM »
"Jevon Thomas, PG- From beginning to end, Wednesday was as good as we've ever seen the future St. John's point guard. Super quick with the ball in his hands, Thomas was a blur from end to end as he made plays for himself and others at the rim. He's not a jump shooter, but his creativity off the dribble can make up for it. With his quick feet and fast hands, Thomas has good potential on the defensive end as well if he'll add strength."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1237878

« Reply #143 on: July 07, 2011, 08:54:15 AM »
"Jevon Thomas, PG- From beginning to end, Wednesday was as good as we've ever seen the future St. John's point guard. Super quick with the ball in his hands, Thomas was a blur from end to end as he made plays for himself and others at the rim. He's not a jump shooter, but his creativity off the dribble can make up for it. With his quick feet and fast hands, Thomas has good potential on the defensive end as well if he'll add strength."

I was impressed with Thomas when I saw him last summer at the Peach Jam.  Although, he got himself into trouble a few times (as, didn't have much help on his team)....  I still saw enough from him to believe he was a solid player.  I also think he's capable of hitting shots, if left open.  His strength is certainly his speed and how he puts pressure on the defense. 

We could be LOADED in 2012-2013.

« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2011, 08:55:24 AM »
Jevon Thomas, PG – One of the better lead guards at camp was this 6-foot guard headed to St. John’s. He’s fast and tough to contain when he’s looking to get into the paint. He showed a nice pull-up jump shot, as he knocked in a handful of mid-range jumpers on the day, but he also displayed an ability to create opportunities for teammates.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1084775.html

Looks like Chiles made his way down from Reading to Philly yesterday mid-day.  He was watching Jermaine and then went to Philly to watch Jevon.

MCNPA

« Reply #145 on: July 07, 2011, 09:00:19 AM »
Jevon Thomas, PG – One of the better lead guards at camp was this 6-foot guard headed to St. John’s. He’s fast and tough to contain when he’s looking to get into the paint. He showed a nice pull-up jump shot, as he knocked in a handful of mid-range jumpers on the day, but he also displayed an ability to create opportunities for teammates.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1084775.html

Looks like Chiles made his way down from Reading to Philly yesterday mid-day.  He was watching Jermaine and then went to Philly to watch Jevon.

Sounds like Jermaine Lawrence is going to be a big target of ours for 2013.  We're going after the ones we need to try to keep at home.

« Reply #146 on: July 08, 2011, 01:01:32 PM »
@AdamZagoria Adam Zagoria
St. John's coach Steve Lavin left LeBron for Philly Reebok to check out 2012 pledge Jevon Thomas and uncommitted Kamari Murphy #stjbb
2 minutes ago via web

« Reply #147 on: July 08, 2011, 01:04:20 PM »
St. John's coach Steve Lavin left LeBron for Philly Reebok to check out 2012 pledge Jevon Thomas and uncommitted Kamari Murphy #stjbb
2 minutes ago via web

Was Lavin on an exercise bike? ;)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:04:46 PM by Marco Baldi »

Marillac

« Reply #148 on: July 08, 2011, 01:21:03 PM »

I was impressed with Thomas when I saw him last summer at the Peach Jam.  Although, he got himself into trouble a few times (as, didn't have much help on his team)....  I still saw enough from him to believe he was a solid player.  I also think he's capable of hitting shots, if left open.  His strength is certainly his speed and how he puts pressure on the defense. 

It seems like Thomas plays with poor talent frequently.  If he was coming up in the city almost any other year, he'd be surrounded by some good players.  I wonder what effect it has on his #'s/game.  The Gauchos squad he was on last year had to be one of the weakest ever.

Moose

« Reply #149 on: July 08, 2011, 04:04:36 PM »

It seems like Thomas plays with poor talent frequently.  If he was coming up in the city almost any other year, he'd be surrounded by some good players.  I wonder what effect it has on his #'s/game.  The Gauchos squad he was on last year had to be one of the weakest ever.

That might be why he no longer plays with the Chos.

Gumby

« Reply #150 on: July 08, 2011, 07:02:04 PM »
2 minutes ago via web

Is Kamari  our back up to Ricardo?

« Reply #151 on: July 08, 2011, 08:13:11 PM »
2 minutes ago via web

Is Kamari  our back up to Ricardo?

Possibly, but I still think we land Gathers when it's all said and done.  Not to mention, Murphy's play has seemed to pick up this summer.

MCNPA

« Reply #152 on: July 08, 2011, 08:25:21 PM »
I like gathers and think we'll land him too, but Murphy is a very nice player as well, longer and taller.  Good days ahead when he puts on weight and learns the game a little better.

LJSA

« Reply #153 on: July 08, 2011, 11:25:51 PM »
I think Kamari would have been on this coming season's roster if he didn't need to prep.

« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2011, 11:24:16 PM »
I like gathers and think we'll land him too, but Murphy is a very nice player as well, longer and taller.  Good days ahead when he puts on weight and learns the game a little better.

Didnt Dave already say we have Gathers, its just a matter of when-meaning maybe this year? I'll take his word for it, hes rarely wrong. Gathers wil be a Johnny

MCNPA

« Reply #155 on: July 10, 2011, 11:29:15 PM »

Didnt Dave already say we have Gathers, its just a matter of when-meaning maybe this year? I'll take his word for it, hes rarely wrong. Gathers wil be a Johnny

I still want to hear the kid say it. 

pmg911

« Reply #156 on: July 11, 2011, 08:30:35 AM »
Anyone know how Jevon Thomas did at the Reebok Camp..?

« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2011, 08:34:19 AM »
Anyone know how Jevon Thomas did at the Reebok Camp..?

He had some pretty good reviews on the first day of the camp.

Moose

« Reply #158 on: July 11, 2011, 08:45:10 AM »
Also to note Jevon switched AAU teams yet again.  He was running with the Shooting Stars this weekend.  I caught a brief glimpse of them at the Rumble in the Bronx.  They had one huge center and otherwise a bunch of small guards so not sure really whats going on there.  He sure jumps AAU teams a lot.

Marillac

« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2011, 09:04:46 PM »
Also to note Jevon switched AAU teams yet again.  He was running with the Shooting Stars this weekend.  I caught a brief glimpse of them at the Rumble in the Bronx.  They had one huge center and otherwise a bunch of small guards so not sure really whats going on there.  He sure jumps AAU teams a lot.

Probably trying to find some talent...not easy lately in NYC.  Not only is the talent down, it is so much more spread out it seems. I'd love to see this kid some how get on that Playaz team with Myles Davis and Kyle Anderson.

If the biggest knock on Thomas right now is his jumper, I think we are in very good shape.  His form looks really solid and he always gets his legs underneath him and his feet set...it's just too flat of a shot.  Very easily corrected with Rico and Dunlap guiding him next year.