Jevon Thomas - PG - OSNA - Rosedale, NY - KANSAS STATE

• 378 replies
Re: Jevon Thomas - PG - OSNA - Rosedale, NY
« Reply #200 on: July 24, 2011, 11:38:38 PM »
Amir is a young kid that feels disrespected...no big deal.  A lot of our fans feel the same way with the decommitment and I hope Jevon and his handlers understand that when they read the posts or twitter over the next couple of days.

As a fan, I feel a little slighted.  I thought of Jevon as part of our team and St. John's family for almost a year.  In the end, he has to make the best decision for him.  I don't understand why our recruitment of a 6'8 point-forward that can't defend points or 2-guards would cause him decommit when we don't have a single pure pg on our roster, but we shall see how this unfolds.  I'd like to see him commit again, but--as always--I trust in Lavin completely.

But damn we need a true point guard to really go places!!!

How far did we go last year with no real point guard.

Add in the fact that the talent we have coming in is leaps and bounds better.

I'm not sweating it.

We lost in the first round with an All-American combo guard filling in.  With the talent we have, we should be thinking Final Four or better after this season and I don't think we get there without a pure point guard.  Look back at the final four over the last 10 years and try to find teams that didn't have a pure point...it's not easy.

Def agree with your pure pg assessment. To get over the top, you need that lead point man in order to that top tier and get over the hump when it counts. Especially in college ball where lil guys have such an effect on the game. And in regards to JT's de-commitment, hopefully it's just wanting to look to see whats out there, despite what Scout has reported. He still has St John's on his list and already has a good relationship with the staff after all this time, so we should be on top by default. I think this is a situation similar to Myck Kabongo who also committed real early, as a soph I believe then briefly de-committed, only to re-commit shortly after. He's from Queens and knows how special it would be to play at his hometown school. He probably just feels like he rushed into things. All this not wanting competition junk is garbage. KA I feel is being recruited as a Point-Forward, and I feel that's just to get the kid on campus, but once he gets to school, will play primarily on the wing, while being a guy who makes plays, catches rebounds and pushes the ball, but won't be an exclusive point guard for us. That's why I feel its crucial to get Jevon, who we've had in our plans for almost a year now.

MCNPA

« Reply #201 on: July 24, 2011, 11:51:05 PM »
Amir is a young kid that feels disrespected...no big deal.  A lot of our fans feel the same way with the decommitment and I hope Jevon and his handlers understand that when they read the posts or twitter over the next couple of days.

As a fan, I feel a little slighted.  I thought of Jevon as part of our team and St. John's family for almost a year.  In the end, he has to make the best decision for him.  I don't understand why our recruitment of a 6'8 point-forward that can't defend points or 2-guards would cause him decommit when we don't have a single pure pg on our roster, but we shall see how this unfolds.  I'd like to see him commit again, but--as always--I trust in Lavin completely.

But damn we need a true point guard to really go places!!!

How far did we go last year with no real point guard.

Add in the fact that the talent we have coming in is leaps and bounds better.

I'm not sweating it.

We lost in the first round with an All-American combo guard filling in.  With the talent we have, we should be thinking Final Four or better after this season and I don't think we get there without a pure point guard.  Look back at the final four over the last 10 years and try to find teams that didn't have a pure point...it's not easy.

Def agree with your pure pg assessment. To get over the top, you need that lead point man in order to that top tier and get over the hump when it counts. Especially in college ball where lil guys have such an effect on the game. And in regards to JT's de-commitment, hopefully it's just wanting to look to see whats out there, despite what Scout has reported. He still has St John's on his list and already has a good relationship with the staff after all this time, so we should be on top by default. I think this is a situation similar to Myck Kabongo who also committed real early, as a soph I believe then briefly de-committed, only to re-commit shortly after. He's from Queens and knows how special it would be to play at his hometown school. He probably just feels like he rushed into things. All this not wanting competition junk is garbage. KA I feel is being recruited as a Point-Forward, and I feel that's just to get the kid on campus, but once he gets to school, will play primarily on the wing, while being a guy who makes plays, catches rebounds and pushes the ball, but won't be an exclusive point guard for us. That's why I feel its crucial to get Jevon, who we've had in our plans for almost a year now.

I personally believe it is extremely doubtful that Jevon is still going to be an option,  That ship has sailed. 

« Reply #202 on: July 25, 2011, 12:00:12 AM »
what people are forgetting is that KA may NOT choose us, which would put us way behind in the search for a PG.  i trust that lavin has a plan.

Poison

« Reply #203 on: July 25, 2011, 12:31:40 AM »
Kemba Walker just had one of the best seasons any point guard has ever had.

How could he not be considered a point guard?

crgreen

Re: Jevon Thomas - PG - OSNA - Rosedale, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #204 on: July 25, 2011, 12:35:37 AM »
Not shocked.
Yep - you all were on to this a while ago.  You think anybody was in Jevon's head about the possible loss of PT with Kyle at PG?

Well I remember he said on twitter a while back that if we recruited another guard, he would decommit.

Maybe he's hearing just how good Phil Greene is.   ;)

MCNPA

« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2011, 12:39:08 AM »

That was the argument on what a "pure PG" really is.  Kemba was great because of how he took over a game and scored the ball for the most part, not by the way he ran a team.  I think the argument is a bit overrated to be truthful.  As longnas your PG has the ability to see the court and find open men as well as score, he could be termed a "pure PG"

crgreen

« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2011, 12:40:50 AM »
amir's mouth is going to get him in trouble this year. 

below is his response to jevon decommitting:

Amir_Garrett amir garrett
@TimmyDimas its ok, not like we really lost anything!

Very inapproriate.  That is why these kids need to be monitored on the internet.  No worries!  I know Lavin will nip Twitter in the bud once the school year starts.

Amir is a kid and a bit gregarious.  He bought into the idea of playing with other top talent as his spot and developing a family-like bond with the rest of the team.  I think it was Amir just saying "fine, we don't need you anyway".  It's harmless.

Disagree.    I read it as Amir essentially saying Jevon's a 2013 - he wouldn't have been here for 2 years - it's not like they've really lost anything...

« Reply #207 on: July 25, 2011, 12:45:12 AM »
I think I remember someone saying that KA might commit during the end of July (or was it the end of the summer?). If this is the case, I am going to go on a hunch and say we will be getting KA in the near future.

« Reply #208 on: July 25, 2011, 12:46:33 AM »
amir's mouth is going to get him in trouble this year. 

below is his response to jevon decommitting:

Amir_Garrett amir garrett
@TimmyDimas its ok, not like we really lost anything!

Very inapproriate.  That is why these kids need to be monitored on the internet.  No worries!  I know Lavin will nip Twitter in the bud once the school year starts.

Amir is a kid and a bit gregarious.  He bought into the idea of playing with other top talent as his spot and developing a family-like bond with the rest of the team.  I think it was Amir just saying "fine, we don't need you anyway".  It's harmless.

Disagree.    I read it as Amir essentially saying Jevon's a 2013 - he wouldn't have been here for 2 years - it's not like they've really lost anything...

That's the way I read it. Amir, meant lost anything in terms of this year's class and opportunity to do something.

MCNPA

« Reply #209 on: July 25, 2011, 12:51:58 AM »
I think I remember someone saying that KA might commit during the end of July (or was it the end of the summer?). If this is the case, I am going to go on a hunch and say we will be getting KA in the near future.

Very well could be right.  I doubted he would qualify for 2012 for quite a while now.  No biggie either way.

crgreen

« Reply #210 on: July 25, 2011, 12:53:43 AM »

That was the argument on what a "pure PG" really is.  Kemba was great because of how he took over a game and scored the ball for the most part, not by the way he ran a team.  I think the argument is a bit overrated to be truthful.  As longnas your PG has the ability to see the court and find open men as well as score, he could be termed a "pure PG"

FWIW - Re:  "pure PG"s.    In just about every list of the GREATEST College teams of all time, the 1969 UCLA Bruins is in the top 3.    Lew Alcindor.  Sidney Wicks.  Curtis Rowe.  Steve Patterson.   Lynn Shackleford.

But when you talk about guards, Mike Warren had just graduated, and Lucius Allen was suspened for the entire year (a little cannibus catastrophe).     The starting guards on that team were Kenny Heitz and John Vallely.    Two years before, Kenny Heitz was a starter on the 1967 national championshiop team.   He started at what we'd now call "power forward"  (the perimeter forward was long range shooter Lynn Shackleford).   And John Vallely, he'd just joined the team as a JC Transfer from Ventura JC.  Where he was the teams star small Forward.    He essentailly played PG in '69, and parlayed that opportunity into the overall 14th pick in the draft.

Take the best talent.  Period.

gonzalo

« Reply #211 on: July 25, 2011, 03:14:12 AM »
I would like that he commits again.

I expect that he won´t go to UConn, Syracuse or Villanova.

MCNPA

« Reply #212 on: July 25, 2011, 03:19:40 AM »

FWIW - Re:  "pure PG"s.    In just about every list of the GREATEST College teams of all time, the 1969 UCLA Bruins is in the top 3.    Lew Alcindor.  Sidney Wicks.  Curtis Rowe.  Steve Patterson.   Lynn Shackleford.

But when you talk about guards, Mike Warren had just graduated, and Lucius Allen was suspened for the entire year (a little cannibus catastrophe).     The starting guards on that team were Kenny Heitz and John Vallely.    Two years before, Kenny Heitz was a starter on the 1967 national championshiop team.   He started at what we'd now call "power forward"  (the perimeter forward was long range shooter Lynn Shackleford).   And John Vallely, he'd just joined the team as a JC Transfer from Ventura JC.  Where he was the teams star small Forward.    He essentailly played PG in '69, and parlayed that opportunity into the overall 14th pick in the draft.

I agree 100% on taking the best talent period. Case in point, Lavin already offered Jevon's scholarship to PG/SG Katin Reinhardt, rivals#43 out of Mater Dei tonight.  Kid looks like a stud combo guard, but from his videos can easily play PG. 

Marillac

« Reply #213 on: July 25, 2011, 03:47:14 AM »

I don't go back as far as you--I was born in the 80's--but I remember 1990 on and from that point you can pick MAYBE two championship teams that arguably didn't have a true point:  McNamara for Syracuse and Scheyer for Duke.  McNamara had Carmelo Anthony--perhaps the most dominant freshman ever--and Hakim Warrick.  Scheyer was clearly not a pure point, but he had a ridiculous basketball IQ and took care of the ball exceptionally well if my memory is correct. 

Certainly the game has changed since the days of Alcindor, and I don't think choosing a team with one of the most dominant centers to play the college game is a good guide post.

Just like in the NFL, you need somebody very good QB'ing your team and that is the point guard in basketball.  Yeah, I'm sure there are exceptions like Trent Dilfer in football, but it's a pretty safe bet that you need a stud QB if you want to build a championship team. 

Will we be good with KA and our current roster?  Of course.
Will we be a more complete team if we had an elite pure point guard?  It's a no brainer to me.

You could probably go out and kill a deer with a knife, but if I was going on a hunting trip, I'd rather have a gun.  I think some of you just want to argue silly points because the summer and Lavin's amazing recruiting is leaving us with few bones to pick after we've developed an appetite for disagreements in the Norm era.

gonzalo

« Reply #214 on: July 25, 2011, 04:09:02 AM »
But his commitment was hindering the recruitment of Kyle.  And at this point if it was between him and Kyle I am taking Kyle.

And he tweeted it when SJU recruited NC St transfer Ryan Harrow.

https://twitter.com/KyleAnderson5/status/73589765097787393

gonzalo

« Reply #215 on: July 25, 2011, 05:20:31 AM »

I guess with the recruitment of Anderson and our heightened interest in Rysheed Jordan (2013 recruit) then he must've envisioned his time being chopped.

Maybe, he re-commits at some point.  Honestly, I don't think he will if Anderson comes aboard.

I think that the interest in Jordan has more influence than the recruitment of Kyle Anderson. When Jevon Thomas committed to us, we were recruiting Anderson and there was a possibility of getting him, too.

We are in Anderson´s final list since May (and with many options). Why didn´t Thomas decommit then? Then there was no offer to Jordan.

« Reply #216 on: July 25, 2011, 08:44:17 AM »

« Reply #217 on: July 25, 2011, 09:20:48 AM »
Kyle said he would announce on his b'day in September is what I recall reading - unless I read that about another player.

« Reply #218 on: July 25, 2011, 09:27:11 AM »
It was KA.  He said he would announce on Sept 20, his birthday.

kjd01067

« Reply #219 on: July 25, 2011, 09:28:41 AM »
Kyle said he would announce on his b'day in September is what I recall reading - unless I read that about another player.

You're correct Kyle said he would announce on his birthday