Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 2186 replies

crgreen

Re: Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #2120 on: June 03, 2013, 02:15:30 PM »
“@AdamZagoria: Jordan Envisioning NBA After St. John’s http://zagsblog.com/articles/jordan-envisioning-nba-after-st-johns/ @sheedjordan #stjbb”

Was that the first mention that we'e planning 5 exhibitions on the Euro-tour?   I asked the question last month, but didn't get an answer.   GREAT opportunity for this team to bond.    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know the timeframe Coach Lavin has set up with Harrison regarding "working his way back to the team?  Could D'lo be reinstated in time for the tour? 

« Reply #2121 on: June 03, 2013, 10:06:35 PM »
My brother and I went to the Mary Kline classic yesterday, great event, even better cause. Even got to meet Zagoria who was a cool dude and talked to us for a little . In regards to rysheed, do not be concerned about the point total(12). Sheed started but the coach used mass subs at every half quarter to make sure all the kids got equal minutes. It was obvious that made it hard for all the guards to get into a rhythm. Even so sheed's jumper looked very smooth from deep and mid range, very explosive going tithe basket, will be a stud offensively no doubt but we already knew that. My favorite part of his game was how unbelievably active he was defensively, getting out in passing lanes and just generally being a pest. Must've had at least 5 or 6 steals. Talked to a local Philly high school hopes fan who said defense will set sheed apart at next level. Loves to defend and really intense. Also sheed had some awesome passes, great court vision. Probably had 5 or 6 assists and 4 or so more that we're great looks but dropped by the guys on the other end. All in all I came away very impressed and think this kid will be an absolute stud. Saw the underclassman game as well but ill keep this post to sheed as it his thread. 

MCNPA

« Reply #2122 on: June 04, 2013, 07:15:05 AM »
My brother and I went to the Mary Kline classic yesterday, great event, even better cause. Even got to meet Zagoria who was a cool dude and talked to us for a little . In regards to rysheed, do not be concerned about the point total(12). Sheed started but the coach used mass subs at every half quarter to make sure all the kids got equal minutes. It was obvious that made it hard for all the guards to get into a rhythm. Even so sheed's jumper looked very smooth from deep and mid range, very explosive going tithe basket, will be a stud offensively no doubt but we already knew that. My favorite part of his game was how unbelievably active he was defensively, getting out in passing lanes and just generally being a pest. Must've had at least 5 or 6 steals. Talked to a local Philly high school hopes fan who said defense will set sheed apart at next level. Loves to defend and really intense. Also sheed had some awesome passes, great court vision. Probably had 5 or 6 assists and 4 or so more that we're great looks but dropped by the guys on the other end. All in all I came away very impressed and think this kid will be an absolute stud. Saw the underclassman game as well but ill keep this post to sheed as it his thread.

Thank you for attending and giving a good synopsis.

jayro

« Reply #2123 on: June 04, 2013, 08:10:59 AM »
Thanks for the assessment. 

DFF6

« Reply #2124 on: June 04, 2013, 08:29:54 AM »

Nice recap.  If you haven't already done so, I would enjoy reading your assessment of the underclassman game as well. 

crgreen

« Reply #2125 on: June 06, 2013, 09:05:57 PM »

Nice recap.  If you haven't already done so, I would enjoy reading your assessment of the underclassman game as well.

Interesting Stat:  In 8 full recruiting classes as a head coach, Steve Lavin has had  FOUR conference "freshmen of the year" - Baron Davis and Jason Kapono at UCLA, and Mo Harkless and Jakarr Sampson now at St. Johns (8 full, because he got both the UCLA and St. Johns far too late  to have any recruiting impact his first year at each school - and you could argue 7, as Ben Howland lost half of Lavin's 2003 signees when he took over).   I'm pretty sure that 50% for a career is a pretty remarkable number.  Given our lineup, Rysheed has a heckuvan opportunity to get the 5th in 9 classes and bump that to 56%....

« Reply #2126 on: June 06, 2013, 11:46:16 PM »
...and people here still question his recruiting!

crgreen

« Reply #2127 on: June 07, 2013, 12:28:45 AM »

Put in perspective, Mike Krzyzewski in 38 years as a head coach  has had 3 conference Rookie/Frosh of the year.
Jim Boeheim has had 3 Big East Rookies of the year in 34 years.    The ACC has only made the award since 1976 - in his 22 seasons in the ACC that the award was given, Dean Smith had 4.

« Reply #2128 on: June 07, 2013, 07:34:58 AM »

Put in perspective, Mike Krzyzewski in 38 years as a head coach  has had 3 conference Rookie/Frosh of the year.
Jim Boeheim has had 3 Big East Rookies of the year in 34 years.    The ACC has only made the award since 1976 - in his 22 seasons in the ACC that the award was given, Dean Smith had 4.

Say it loud, say it strong.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #2129 on: June 07, 2013, 10:27:12 AM »

I think Lavin's recruiting has been nothing short of amazing, but the question I have would be: Has Lavin had more rookie/frosh of the year due to his teams not being balanced and frosh having to take on a heavier load due to lack of roster balance in terms of upperclassmen?

Just playing devils advocate here.

pmg911

« Reply #2130 on: June 07, 2013, 11:27:09 AM »

I think Lavin's recruiting has been nothing short of amazing, but the question I have would be: Has Lavin had more rookie/frosh of the year due to his teams not being balanced and frosh having to take on a heavier load due to lack of roster balance in terms of upperclassmen?

I would say the roster imbalance impacted the players minutes but they took full advantage of their opportunity to shine.

derk

« Reply #2131 on: June 07, 2013, 11:28:34 AM »

Yes, no doubt Frosh have gotten the opportunity to play here but we have to give credit for his recruiting top players who could take advantage of the PT.

crgreen

« Reply #2132 on: June 07, 2013, 01:53:10 PM »

I think it's more because Lavin ALLOWS frosh to BE "the man", if their talent warrant's it.  Then it becomes "chicken or egg" - does he get "rookie of the year" caliber players because he's a great finisher in recruiting, or is he a great finisher in recruiting because he's gotten "rookies of the year"?

Again, it's coaching styles. And situations (where your team is, what's happening with OTHER teams).   Without looking it up, you'd probably never GUESS who the three ACC Rookies of the Year Coach K has had.    Chris Duhon, Kyle Singler and...Austin Rivers.  Heck, you'd probably only get half of Dean Smith's 4 correct:  Sam Perkins, Michael Jordaon...and JR Reid and Ed Cota.

Is getting your frosh to win those awards a good or bad sign?  The coach with the most conference newcomers of the year (as far as I've been able to find) is Bobby Knight, with 9 at Indiana.  And he did okay. :)

« Reply #2133 on: June 07, 2013, 02:42:33 PM »
PMG -- no doubt roster imbalance helped significantly.  At Cuse or Duke (the two coaches compared above), many talented freshman have to wait their turn.  With that said, it does speak to the qualify of recruits Lavin brought in, because a lot of guys wouldn't have necessarily excelled at a ROY level with increased playing time.

desco80

« Reply #2134 on: June 07, 2013, 04:48:55 PM »
You could look at this another way; one of the reasons coach is a great recruiter is because he promises very talented HS kids that they'll start right away and get all the opportunity in the world.  He follows through on those promises.  Those kids then get awards and often get drafted early, which... makes him an even better recruiter.   It's a pretty effective cycle.  And I don't have a problem with it.   
We all know how well Lou's aversion to playing freshmen worked out at times.   Nobody wants to think that kids are promised a starting role; but if that's what you've gotta do to be a competitive recruiter... go for it.   There are a lot sketchier ways to recruit than promising minutes.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 04:52:02 PM by desco80 »

crgreen

« Reply #2135 on: June 07, 2013, 07:33:19 PM »

I would say the roster imbalance impacted the players minutes but they took full advantage of their opportunity to shine.

I'd say yes and no.  When Baron Davis won, he ws joining a team coming off an Elite 8 Season, that returned future NBA'rs Toby Bailey, JR Henderson and Jelani McCoy; Pac 10 leading scorer Kris Johnson, and future Globetrotter star "Special K" - Kevin Daley.  And his incoming class included fellow frosh starter Earl Watson.

Jason Kapono came onto a team that retained future NBArs Earl Watson, Dan Gadzuric, Matt Barnes, Jerome Moiso, all Pac 10 Billy Knight, plus former McDs Ray Young & JaRon Rush - and Rico Hines.

So, it's been 50/50 re: balanced/inbalanced squads producing conference ROYs.

But curious - SHOULD Rysheed repeat the feat - becoming the "tie-breaker" - which category would it fit?   He's coming onto a team that's returning a jr. two year starter at PG, and has a Jr. former top 50 recruit also at PG - a team for which we were wondering as he was being recruited, where would we find a Scholarship to GIVE him?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 07:37:53 PM by crgreen »

paultzman

« Reply #2136 on: June 13, 2013, 12:52:49 PM »
"The league will get its unofficial start on Friday, July 21 at 8pm with the annual Chosen Game, featuring 16 top players who will play in the league. This year’s rosters are again stacked with talent as the city’s graduating seniors look to remind the underclassmen who’s best before they head off to college.

The Class of 2013 is led by (who else?) St. John’s commit and Vaux grad Rysheed Jordan as well as Imhotep’s Brandon Austin, headed off to Providence. Miles Overton (Wake Forest) and B.J. Johnson (Syracuse) complete the high-major quartet, but they’ll face some stiff opposition on the underclassman squad."

“@jmverlin: The 2013 Chosen Game rosters and Chosen League schedule are out: http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2013/06/2013-chosen-game-rosters-league-schedule-released/ @RTChosenleague @HPWARRIORS @PhillyThreat”

« Reply #2137 on: June 15, 2013, 09:26:19 PM »
hilites from the Donfrio classic. Jordan had 48 in losing effort. Finishes well and some nice passing....2013 Donofrio Classic Official Highlights

crgreen

« Reply #2138 on: June 16, 2013, 03:28:32 AM »
hilites from the Donfrio classic. Jordan had 48 in losing effort. Finishes well and some nice passing....2013 Donofrio Classic Official Highlights

Kid certainly has no problem finishing thru contact.  Have to wait to see how the "new Big East" shakes out, but in the OLD Big East, I'd be worrying about the hard fouls he'd end up taking!  :)

MCNPA

« Reply #2139 on: June 16, 2013, 09:32:19 AM »

Kid certainly has no problem finishing thru contact.  Have to wait to see how the "new Big East" shakes out, but in the OLD Big East, I'd be worrying about the hard fouls he'd end up taking!  :)

Not only is Rysheed tremendous at getting to the hoop but is a tremendous passer and can stick the outside shot.  Big, fast and athletic.  Rysheed is exactly what this team needed to get to the next level and make everybody better.