Next year's starting backcourt

• 91 replies

desco80

Re: Next year's starting backcourt
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2013, 04:38:55 PM »
Based off everything you saw over this last season you really believe there is a scenerio where Greene is not starting next year?

I generally agree with your reasoning for why Harrison might not be back.   It's certainly possible, and the guys who say it's not are being naive.   But, I don't know how you can say he's not coming back with 100% certainty.   There's no guarantees with anything when it comes to D'angelo (or coach Lavin for that matter).  They both kind've beat to their own drum.  So nothing would surprise me.

As for Circles, I truly think summer and fall practices will determine who starts, and I don't think anybody's spot in the back-court is guaranteed.   
I'd be shocked if coach didn't make these guys earn it over the summer.   And, I'm not convinced that it won't be Branch and Jordan. (If Dangelo isn't here). 
I think they're our two biggest talents if healthy, and having two guys who can penetrate would make our offense much more efficient.   That said, for better or worse coach loves Greene.  I'm hoping his love affair with Greene was partly due to Branch being hurt and him being down on D'angelo.   Maybe next year he's forced to use Greene less. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:48:24 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2013, 04:42:20 PM »
As I posted in another thread Greene starts no matter what. If Harrison comes back Lavin goes three guards. No Harrison and Greene and Jordan are your backcourt with Pointer as a sort of Point Forward.

Marillac

« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2013, 06:11:21 PM »
As I posted in another thread Greene starts no matter what. If Harrison comes back Lavin goes three guards. No Harrison and Greene and Jordan are your backcourt with Pointer as a sort of Point Forward.

I want Pointer touching the ball as little as possible--never in the half court if it can be accomplished!

desco80

« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2013, 06:44:40 PM »

I want Pointer touching the ball as little as possible--never in the half court if it can be accomplished!

So you don't have a problem with Greene getting a lot of minutes, but Dom shouldn't be touching the ball in the half-court?    Do you have an aversion to our team scoring baskets?   Dom led the team in assists, and while not a great shooter... he doesn't shoot unnecessarily, and actually makes a good % of them.   (Best field goal % and 3pt % on the team)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 06:52:24 PM by desco80 »

desco80

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2013, 06:48:30 PM »
Think about that for a second: Dom isn't the point guard, Greene played 200+ more minutes than him this season, and Pointer still led us in assists. 

So, it makes perfect sense that we should take the ball out of his hands if we want to take the next step forward as a team.   :coolsmiley:
Just to be cleAr, I'm just busting your balls Marillac.  Nothing personal at all.
I just happen to think Dom is a pretty efficient player, and I'm not as convinced as you appear to be that Phil will come back significantly better. 
But we'll see.   Options are a good problem to have.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:14:29 PM by desco80 »

Tha Kid

« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2013, 07:26:29 PM »
Obekpa 22
Sanchez 28
Sampson 32
Pointer 26
Hooper 10
Harrison 25
Greene 18
Branch 15
Jordan 24

I don't know why everyone is giving wasju such a hard time - it's his poll he can do whatever he likes. It is possible Harrison won't be around.  Reading tea leaves is pointless. I think he will be around so I included him in my minutes allocation but its possible he won't be and then lipscomb will play 25 mpg.  No big deal.
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2013, 07:48:08 PM »

I hear ya, but I'm hoping that adding a top flight PG will help the ball movement for everyone. While we don't want Pointer running the offense, I do want him to get to the point where he's comfortable making a smart pass without thinking about it for several seconds.

The passing across the board needs work. We make slow deliberate passes, but few that put players in a position to score.

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2013, 07:52:05 PM »

I hear ya, but I'm hoping that adding a top flight PG will help the ball movement for everyone. While we don't want Pointer running the offense, I do want him to get to the point where he's comfortable making a smart pass without thinking about it for several seconds.

The passing across the board needs work. We make slow deliberate passes, but few that put players in a position to score.

Spot on. Dom, Jarkarr, and Obkepa are all ball stoppers. Phil too. People can say that D'lo puts up bad shots but the ball is never in his hand for too long. He makes quick decisions.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

LJSA

« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2013, 08:36:52 PM »

Spot on. Dom, Jarkarr, and Obkepa are all ball stoppers. Phil too. People can say that D'lo puts up bad shots but the ball is never in his hand for too long. He makes quick decisions.

One definite benefit of staying at a small local school instead of heading to a prep factory -- being triple teamed every game senior year forced Harrison to make quick decisions.

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2013, 08:48:47 PM »
You know we dont actually have Jordan yet

« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2013, 08:50:42 PM »

True. But that's too scary to think about :)
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2013, 09:51:25 PM »

True. But that's too scary to think about :)

Haha. True. This is the worst case scenario:

Branch - (Greene)
Greene - Balamou
Pointer - Hooper - Bourgualt
Sanchez - Orlando
Obekpa - Jones

Definitely much different expectations than the best case.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:52:08 PM by Save The Hero »

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2013, 10:06:33 PM »
Based off everything you saw over this last season you really believe there is a scenerio where Greene is not starting next year?

Who exactly should have taken Greene's place?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2013, 10:15:37 PM »

He played more than Branch when Branch was healthy. Some of his minutes could have gone to Branch, Balamou, Marco, Lipscomb, me, you Flag Boy, anyone, Bueller.

« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2013, 10:33:29 PM »

He played more than Branch when Branch was healthy. Some of his minutes could have gone to Branch, Balamou, Marco, Lipscomb, me, you Flag Boy, anyone, Bueller.

Now you are clamoring for more playing time for Lipscomb? :)

Branch yes...no on everyone else you listed.  Our team was short on ball handlers and shooters.  Phil was our best ball handler and a good defender.  That is how and why he earned so much playing time. 

Great job stirring the pot with this thread...did Baldi put you up to it?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2013, 10:54:54 PM »
I want Harrison to come back and for him to start with Jordan in the backcourt with Pointer up front. I can live with Branch, Harrison, Jordan starting and Pointer being 6th man, CO 7th man and Greene 8th man. I am not doing anything to stir anything. Right or wrong Lavin started this by suspending him. IMO Harrison won't be back. I hope I am wrong. Whether he comes back or not Greene is starting. I would bet the Ranch on that.

These are just my predictions, people don't have to agree with them.

His first year Lavin figured out who could play and who couldn't. Last year he was like DR Frankenstein just throwing things together. Hopefully his rotation and decisions are more in line with his first year and if so we will make the tourney.

« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2013, 12:15:20 PM »
You don't sign a Jordan and not start him.  Jakarr and Sanchez are automatic.  CO and Dom will get starters minutes as well.  Dlo if he comes should start with Phil the 3rd guard.  I think Branch has to earn his minutes.  The combo of Harrison and Jordan is potentially super potent.  Add an improved front court and we dance.

« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2013, 12:26:41 PM »
I agree with Bobre's take.  If we land Jordan, my guess is that he will start.  No guarantees, but that is the likely outcome, and if he is as good as people say, he'll have no issue earning those minutes.  If Harrison returns, that is your starting back court. 

Jakar, Sanchez, CO and Dom all will log major minutes.

As Moose and others have said, I'm a believer that PGIV will be a very, very effective player with less minutes and in more of an off-guard role.  I see both him and Branch getting plenty of time.

After those 8, I think the rest is up in the air.  If Hooper and/or Marco can knock down shots, there is a place for that.  What type of improvement do we see from Felix offensively?  Does Jones or Gift (or both) provide size off the bench. 

Lots of question marks, but that is what makes this fun.  Let's land Jordan first, because I think it will be a fun offseason discussing all of these issues and watching the staff turn their efforts towards 2014.

Marillac

« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2013, 03:46:27 PM »

So you don't have a problem with Greene getting a lot of minutes, but Dom shouldn't be touching the ball in the half-court?    Do you have an aversion to our team scoring baskets?   Dom led the team in assists, and while not a great shooter... he doesn't shoot unnecessarily, and actually makes a good % of them.   (Best field goal % and 3pt % on the team)

Almost every single one of Dom's jumpers was taken with his feet planted and nobody around to guard him.  Greene has to create at least half of his shot opportunities off the bounce.  Also, from what I've seen, Dom's assists come mainly in transition.

I like Dom...he has a place on this team for sure.  His athletic abilty is absurd, I love his motor, I love his rebounding, I think he has good vision, he's a freak on the break....but I hate the ball in his hands too much in the half court. 

Also, it's worth noting that while Greene dribbled the most, we ran weaves constantly and the the PG was the player who had the ball at that given time. 

« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2013, 03:49:30 PM »
Phil ran a one man weave. Reminds me of the movie Blazing Saddles when the sheriff was telling the story about how his family wasn't allowed in the wagon train so when the Indians attacked they had to circle the wagon.