18-19 Season

• 256 replies
Re: 18-19 Season
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2018, 12:12:25 PM »
Hamidou Diallo is not going to be a first round pick, so how accurate are these mock drafts?

goredmen

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2018, 05:22:09 PM »
So with Owens gone now we have 3 scholarships open, we need at least one immediately eligible big and a couple building blocks. The guys we know or think the staff (Matt) is going after are:

Trey Porter (Tough get)
Femi O (If no other grad bigs in the fold and he still opts to go elsewhere we might as well fold up shop)
David Caraher (Seems like we are in a decent position for him, I question if he's a BE player but haven't seen enough of him to really know)
Davion Mitchell (Would be a really good pickup but who knows where we stand on this one)
Dachon Burke (Another supplemental piece we seem to have a puncher's chance with)
Eli Wright (Pretty meh if you ask me)
Maurice Calloo (Is he better than his ranking? MSU hosting him for a visit and some high-major offers)

Maybe there are more transfers in the next days/weeks and a few new targets appear, but this is fairly weak considering the situation we are currently in IMO since we may not get all or any of the top targets.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 05:24:15 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2018, 05:41:23 PM »
So with Owens gone now we have 3 scholarships open, we need at least one immediately eligible big and a couple building blocks. The guys we know or think the staff (Matt) is going after are:

Trey Porter (Tough get)
Femi O (If no other grad bigs in the fold and he still opts to go elsewhere we might as well fold up shop)
David Caraher (Seems like we are in a decent position for him, I question if he's a BE player but haven't seen enough of him to really know)
Davion Mitchell (Would be a really good pickup but who knows where we stand on this one)
Dachon Burke (Another supplemental piece we seem to have a puncher's chance with)
Maurice Calloo (Is he better than his ranking? MSU hosting him for a visit and some high-major offers)

Maybe there are more transfers in the next days/weeks and a few new targets appear, but this is fairly weak considering the situation we are currently in IMO since we may not get all or any of the top targets.

Maybe, a couple of these kids pan out, but this is what happens when you're constantly missing out on your initial targets and you have no viable plan in place (particulary, with only one true recruiter). 

IMO, if Tom Izzo and his staff really wanted Calloo, then he wouldn't have left Lansing uncommitted.

goredmen

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2018, 06:02:25 PM »

Trey Porter (Tough get)

Maybe, a couple of these kids pan out, but this is what happens when you're constantly missing out on your initial targets and you have no viable plan in place (particulary, with only one true recruiter). 

IMO, if Tom Izzo and his staff really wanted Calloo, then he wouldn't have left Lansing uncommitted.

Agree. Beginning to look like best case scenario is next year we are a bubble team with a razor thin margin for error. One injury or malcontent could derail the entire season again.

After that, We lose Ponds and Clark for sure and could lose Simon. It would be one thing if we had the inside track on an alpha or two to replace them (Scottie Lewis comes to mind) but we don't. Can't survive in the BE with nothing but average role players. Obviously this is thinking way ahead here and a ton can change, but not really instilling much confidence in the future at this point.

paultzman

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2018, 07:08:15 PM »

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2018, 08:00:27 PM »

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2018, 08:23:55 PM »
Instead of these tweets from Vaccaro and Braziller, they should be requesting some on the record sit down interviews with Mullin for an in depth Q&A for his perspective on the state of affairs of his program.

Moose

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2018, 08:43:43 PM »

Trey Porter (Tough get)

Unless the kid is smart and knows he will get recruited over immediately
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2018, 08:53:01 PM »

Trey Porter (Tough get)

Maybe...  But, that could also happen to him at St. John's (unless, you're thinking we won't hard enough to do so).  These kids, regardless where they're ranked, are generally blown away by those particular schools that logical thinking doesn't always come into play. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 08:54:55 PM by mjdinkins »

Moose

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2018, 09:54:24 PM »

Trey Porter (Tough get)

Maybe...  But, that could also happen to him at St. John's (unless, you're thinking we won't hard enough to do so).  These kids, regardless where they're ranked, are generally blown away by those particular schools that logical thinking doesn't always come into play. 

Could happen anywhere yes. But chances are State will go after better guys then us
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:54:56 PM by Moose »

MCNPA

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2018, 10:01:48 PM »
Calloo has offers from Florida, Michigan state, Mississippi state, Kansas State, Illinois, but we are upset if Michigan state doesn’t take him or surprised if he doesn’t choose them probably for pt reasons?  All signs point to the kid being pretty good.  Not sure the downside here.  Would be a great pickup it seems on paper at least.

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2018, 03:06:34 AM »
Matt has unfollowed Femi, guess when Chris didn't show up to meet him on cmpus, Femi said F HIM.

Oh well.

Really wonder how Ponds feels about our recruiting effort, it wouldn't surprise me if he left.
Who could blame him?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 03:11:41 AM by mullin85berry86 »

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2018, 05:31:13 AM »
I seriously would not blame him if he bolted. I think he will stay unless he "wows" in his workouts but this is really turning into a mess. We will end up landing a sub-par grad transfer big and everyone on this board will most likely have excuses and reason as to why he is great fit. In reality we are losing 2 starters and key players from last years team who ended up being 4-14 in conference play. They aren't irreplaceable but everyone has to admit there is something off here. Sid WIlson Leaving before the season stars, Lovett quits on the team, J'raan Brooks commits and then decommits, Tariq Owens who would most definitely be a starter and major contributor transfers to Texas Tech where he most likely will be relegated to a bench role just to develop and be a part of a winning program, isn't a recipe for success anywhere. I know there are transfers all over the NCAA but come on here.

Moose

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2018, 05:53:13 PM »
Matt has unfollowed Femi, guess when Chris didn't show up to meet him on cmpus, Femi said F HIM.

Oh well.

Really wonder how Ponds feels about our recruiting effort, it wouldn't surprise me if he left.
Who could blame him?

Sidney part 2

QuanMan

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2018, 06:59:56 PM »
--I think the OOC travel budget is spent, heading to Durham likely in February and Miami in early December, similar to PHX/LA last season.

--Plug in a marquee Garden game to replace Duke and 2 local cupcakes in Queens to round out the OOC schedule. I think that marquee Garden game this year can be a Michigan St., Michigan, Indiana or Purdue in the BE/B10 Challenge.

--VCU/Temple/Cal/GTech in neutral settings +@Duke and 1 more household BigTen name to add plus our Big East schedule...not bad at all.

@MarleyPaul22--
More
A look at how St. John’s 2018-19 non-con appears to be shaping up:

2 of Detroit Mercy, Bowling Green, Hampton or Loyola (Md.)
St. Francis
Mount St. Mary’s
Sacred Heart
2 of VCU, Temple or California
Princeton @ MSG
Georgia Tech (in Miami)

@ Duke
Section 3
Section 116

QuanMan

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2018, 09:30:32 AM »
Coaching Changes‏ @CoachingChanges :

Top 10 Hot Seat Jobs for 2018-19
1) UCLA
2) DePaul
3) Michigan State
4) Wake Forest
5) Iowa State
6) St. John’s
7) Georgia Tech
8) SMU
9) Minnesota
10) Fordham

Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2018, 09:40:02 AM »

1) UCLA
2) DePaul
3) Michigan State
4) Wake Forest
5) Iowa State
6) St. John’s
7) Georgia Tech
8) SMU
9) Minnesota
10) Fordham

Michigan St...unless he think Izzo is in trouble for the Nassar scandal Izzo is about as safe a coach as you can get.

Steve Prohm of Iowa St and Danny Manning of Wake??? No I don't think so.

pmg911

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2018, 01:29:45 PM »

1) UCLA
2) DePaul
3) Michigan State
4) Wake Forest
5) Iowa State
6) St. John’s
7) Georgia Tech
8) SMU
9) Minnesota
10) Fordham

Interesting list and amazing how one kid can turn the fate of teams...

Lovett quitting screws St. John's and they are on the list
Reggie Lynch suspended/dismissed kills what was supposed to be great season for Minnesota, they are on the list

goredmen

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2018, 01:46:19 PM »

1) UCLA
2) DePaul
3) Michigan State
4) Wake Forest
5) Iowa State
6) St. John’s
7) Georgia Tech
8) SMU
9) Minnesota
10) Fordham

Wouldn't put much stock into that Twitter account. It's mostly parody and random speculation.

goredmen

« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2018, 10:44:24 PM »
@Rutgers as part of the Gavitt Games. Disappointing