SJU season prediction

• 51 replies
SJU season prediction
« on: November 03, 2008, 09:43:28 AM »
18 wins

Considering Syracuse was the only BE team to make the NIT last year with 19 wins, we will miss post-season.

Poison

Re: SJU season prediction
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 09:51:26 AM »
18 wins

Considering Syracuse was the only BE team to make the NIT last year with 19 wins, we will miss post-season.

18 wins, and I'll wear a "Thank you Norm" sign around my neck for the summer.

12 wins. Including losses to Cornell, VTech and Seton Hall.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 10:09:11 AM »
18 wins

18!  That's bold.  What do you think the Big East record will be, then?

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 10:16:27 AM »
18 wins

8 wins BE
11 wins OOC (including 2 wins preseason NIT (including consolation game), + 2 holiday festival)

sjd8886

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 11:07:58 AM »
speaking of making the postseason, if we have a good year, put up a nice number of wins, have a few nice upsets, dont get blown out too much, and show progess with both norm, his recruiting, and the player development, then if we still dont make the postseason, who cares, that would be a great year

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 12:35:51 PM »
THe NIT selection is not what it was. Years ago if we finished over .500 we were in. That is not the case anymore.
I would be happy if we won 18 games this year.

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 12:44:32 PM »
Average case scenario: 17-16 overall; 6-12 in Big East. Optimistically, we squeeze out 3 more wins in the Big East to end up 20-13 and 9-9 overall.

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 02:26:29 PM »
18 wins

8 wins BE
11 wins OOC (including 2 wins preseason NIT (including consolation game), + 2 holiday festival)

sorry i meant 19.....and still no NIT
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 02:33:12 PM by NYCbuckeye »

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 02:42:23 PM »
I'm all for the beginning of the year optimism...but 20 wins?

The most optimistic I can be before seeing them play is 16...and thats being optimistic IMO.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 02:50:29 PM »
18 wins

8 wins BE

That would mean an 11-2 OOC record I believe.  I can't see us winning more than 2 games in the Preseason NIT or us beating Duke or Miami.

Love the optimism though.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 03:25:59 PM »
18 wins

8 wins BE

That would mean an 11-2 OOC record I believe.  I can't see us winning more than 2 games in the Preseason NIT or us beating Duke or Miami.

Agree.  I see a split in the NIT.  If they perchance win both in Boston (BC isn't THAT strong this year)  they likely lose both in NY.  In fact if they lose one in Boston they have a better chance at going 3-1 (while reducing the SOS for the RPI) but that's not likely as they will likely end up facing Davidson.  Agree too with losses to Miami and Duke.  Va-Tech is the game I can go either way on.  They're supposed to be pretty good and MSG offers no home court advantage during BE play much less the Holiday Festival so that game I feel will be the true indicator of the season.  Of course if they don't come into that game 8-2 it may be the make or break game of the season.  So OOC looks like 8-5 or 9-4.

In conference I see 6 likely wins with a chance of stealing 2 more but I don't see how the team, without above average progress from last year, can go .500 in conference play.  If I split it down the middle I see 7-11 in conference with 15-16 or 16-15 overall.

Now if Pitino and Calhoun are serious and SJU is not who we think they are they all bets could be off.  But most of all I'm just looking forward to them rolling the ball out on the floor and playing. 

On a side note Davidson got jobbed being sent to Oklahoma in the Season Tip Off.  They're head and shoulders better than BC and Georgia (both teams that SJU should be competitive with).

Poison

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 03:34:11 PM »
18 wins

8 wins BE

Agree.  I see a split in the NIT.  If they perchance win both in Boston (BC isn't THAT strong this year)  they likely lose both in NY.  In fact if they lose one in Boston they have a better chance at going 3-1 (while reducing the SOS for the RPI) but that's not likely as they will likely end up facing Davidson.  Agree too with losses to Miami and Duke.  Va-Tech is the game I can go either way on.  They're supposed to be pretty good and MSG offers no home court advantage during BE play much less the Holiday Festival so that game I feel will be the true indicator of the season.  Of course if they don't come into that game 8-2 it may be the make or break game of the season.  So OOC looks like 8-5 or 9-4.

In conference I see 6 likely wins with a chance of stealing 2 more but I don't see how the team, without above average progress from last year, can go .500 in conference play.  If I split it down the middle I see 7-11 in conference with 15-16 or 16-15 overall.

Now if Pitino and Calhoun are serious and SJU is not who we think they are they all bets could be off.  But most of all I'm just looking forward to them rolling the ball out on the floor and playing. 

On a side note Davidson got jobbed being sent to Oklahoma in the Season Tip Off.  They're head and shoulders better than BC and Georgia (both teams that SJU should be competitive with).

They key to the season is Malik Boothe. We need a real point guard who can run an offense, run plays, play defense and lead on the court. If Malik can do that, we can be much better than expected.

We need Boothe to be David Cain. Set the tone for the offense, and defense.

I epxect Mason to give me 15 ppg, and Burrell to drop 13 or 14. Kennedy to give me 10 and 5, but Boothe is the x-factor. If he has improved to the point where he can play under control, we can win 18 or 19 games. That is what this team has lacked.

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 04:17:02 PM »
If we had Larry Wright, NIT, since not, another season at home, well at least we are going to the Big East Tournament this year

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 04:45:04 PM »
18 wins

8 wins BE

Sorry... I miscalculated the games before....

Here is my breakdown for the most probable scenario:
** 8-4 before big east play (losses to Miami, BC and the Championship Games at the NIT Tip Off and Holiday Festival)
** 6-12 in big east play (wins against providence, cincinatti, usf, seaton hall (x2), rutgers)
** Loss against Duke.
End up 14-17 overall (6-12 in big east play).

Here is my breakdown for the optimistic scenario:
** 10-2 before big east play (losses to Miami and either BC or one of the Championship Games)
** 9-9 in Big East Play (squeeze out 3 games in addition to the games I mentioned above)
** Loss to Duke
End up 19-11 (9-9 in Big East)
We don't make the NIT (because our record has sucked over the last few years) OR We do (because the Big East rates as the top conference in the country with 9-10 teams in the NCAA tourney).

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 04:48:20 PM »
6-12 or 7-11 BE

8-5  or 9-4 ooc

expecting anywhere from 14&17 to 16&15.

Deep team only needs 2-3 of Sophs to show good progress
& boothe stay healthy to get us to :

17 Wins & 14 losses before BE tourn which would be a success & should get us in NIT ;D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 04:51:44 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
"End up 19-11 (9-9 in Big East)
We don't make the NIT (because our record has sucked over the last few years)
"

19-11 & 9-9 is borderline NCAA- no way if we win 18 or 19  we're excluded from NIT

« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 04:56:19 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 05:10:39 PM »
"

19-11 & 9-9 is borderline NCAA- no way if we win 18 or 19  we're excluded from NIT

18 wins

Making an opinion based on last years history.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 05:11:33 PM by Johnny4Life »

Randomhero423

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 05:41:07 PM »
I'd say probably like 12-15 wins.

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 05:48:55 PM »
"

18 wins

With the contraction of the NIT field, the requirement to give bids to mid and low major conference champions who lose in their tourney and the NCAA ownership of the tournament an NIT bid is significantly harder to achieve.  Doubt that any BE team with less than 8 wins in conference can get a bid regardless of conference strength.  No team under .500 in conference got a bid last year.

sjd8886

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 10:09:46 PM »
"

18 wins

yea thats usually part of what u base predictions on