Transfers

• 25 replies

Poison

Transfers
« on: February 27, 2009, 11:28:15 AM »
The question was posted on redmen.com, and it's a good one. Who leaves this time?

We have 3 small forwards in Thomas, Mason and Kennedy. 3 Shooting guards in Omari, Horne and Hardy.

We need a pg, and a big man who can score.

pmg911

Re: Transfers
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 11:49:28 AM »
I think Ty Edmonson, Phil Wait and maybe Quncy transfer...

Also a lot will depend on any additional players they sign.If they get Lance and he is eligible, its just creates an even bigger log jam for minutes...

Poison

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 11:58:13 AM »
Watching Quincy bring the ball up makes me think that everyone who bought a ticket has a right to ask for their money back.

Tyshawn might actually have more value down the road, but he needs a lot of practice. He can dribble with more confidence than Quincy though.

Wait showed us nothing, but Norm never gave him a chance to play either.

I think this might have been the worst recruited class at SJU. Ever.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 12:11:55 PM »
Watching Quincy bring the ball up makes me think that everyone who bought a ticket has a right to ask for their money back.

Tyshawn might actually have more value down the road, but he needs a lot of practice. He can dribble with more confidence than Quincy though.

I think this might have been the worst recruited class at SJU.

Ever.

you saying that tyshawn dribbles with more confidence than quincy makes me wonder if you have watched any games. the kid is scared shitless out there. and i know rob thomas was a small forward type in high school but he is no where near that now and is slower than most power forwards in the big east.       

Edited by KJD (fixed quotes)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 11:22:33 AM by kjd01067 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 12:18:54 PM »

you saying that tyshawn dribbles with more confidence than quincy makes me wonder if you have watched any games. the kid is scared shitless out there. and i know rob thomas was a small type in high school but he is no where near that now and is slower than most power forwards in the big east.

I think this might have been the worst recruited class at SJU. Ever.

Ty is bad. Don't get me wrong, but what I'm saying is that I see some potential there. He has a handle. He was just nervous. Quincy is a shooting guard with a lousy stroke, and a lousy handle.

Probably no upside with either, but at the end of the day, I'd rather have Ty be our back up than Quincy. I think with some weight lifting, and some practice, Ty could give us 10-12 minutes.

Q has no business ever bringing it up.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 01:32:14 PM »
first - any of these questions depend on 1. is Norm the coach, 2. is Lance coming and 3. how disgruntled are the current players.  (there could be 4. how the staff wants to clean up with unbalanced roster but they don't seem to concern themselves too deeply with that.)

second - Quincy's handle is not that bad, and I think you overrate Ty's dribble.  KOB seems to think Ty has some skill but I don't see it.  He misses the basket on shots, and more than once.  Quincy has a decent looking stroke, he can hit his free throws - and that's generally indicative of a guy who can shoot.

Personally, I think DJ and Paris should work on playing point guard a little, see if they can bring it up.

third - When you talk about Phil Wait, you should all stop and consider that just maybe, not every college player needs to be fed 15 minutes a game to keep them on campus.  Consider:

* Phil Wait said he needed to work on his strength.
* The coaching staff said Phil Wait would likely not get that many minutes this year because he needs to work on his strength.
* Phil Wait is 22 years old.
* Phil Wait obviously likes Glenn Braica, since he chose St. John's supposedly over UCLA.  UCLA, people. 

So if he came in with no expectations of playing time, isn't very young, and has a personal connection, why in the name of all that is logical in basketball would the man transfer?  That don't make no kind of sense.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 01:34:24 PM »
Na Q is a keeper but he is not  a PG ! He has a lot of confidence  & that is the most important aspects of basketball once you reach this level. Q proved he is a big east player a couple of times this season, even though he is playing out of position.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 01:59:38 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 01:42:43 PM »
first - any of these questions depend on 1. is Norm the coach, 2. is Lance coming and 3. how disgruntled are the current players.  (there could be 4. how the staff wants to clean up with unbalanced roster but they don't seem to concern themselves too deeply with that.)

second - Quincy's handle is not that bad, and I think you overrate Ty's dribble.  KOB seems to think Ty has some skill but I don't see it.  He misses the basket on shots, and more than once.  Quincy has a decent looking stroke, he can hit his free throws - and that's generally indicative of a guy who can shoot.

Personally, I think DJ and Paris should work on playing point guard a little, see if they can bring it up.

third - When you talk about Phil Wait, you should all stop and consider that just maybe, not every college player needs to be fed 15 minutes a game to keep them on campus.  Consider:

* The coaching staff said Phil Wait would likely not get that many minutes this year because he needs to work on his strength.
* Phil Wait obviously likes Glenn Braica, since he chose St. John's supposedly over UCLA.  UCLA, people. 

So if he came in with no expectations of playing time, isn't very young, and has a personal connection, why in the name of all that is logical in basketball would the man transfer?  That don't make no kind of sense.
I thought Donny Daniels only flew over there to check Wait out for himself, but they didn't offer him.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 01:54:46 PM »

I thought Donny Daniels only flew over there to check Wait out for himself, but they didn't offer him.
Yeah, I never heard the clear story on that. 

Poison

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 02:07:07 PM »

I'm sorry, Quincy is the worst point guard that I have ever seen at SJU.

pmg911

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 02:15:03 PM »

You haven't really watched the team for that long then...

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 02:48:39 PM »

I will definitely agree that he shouldn't be on the ball.  But as they're currently playing, he's not that much worse than the other options. 

Poison

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 04:53:19 PM »

You haven't really watched the team for that long then...

Since 1984. Find me a guy that was worse?

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 05:33:29 PM »
tyshawn. and i could argue that the team ran better when he was in for boothe
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

kob24

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 06:00:18 PM »
nah i think q has talent. ty would be great in the a10 with 4 years and muscle. he is a more pure point than quincy but he isnt ready.  if ty had q strength then he could start at point. it all goes with how they get developed and how they are used. if every player transfered because of playing time college ball would be a joke. i dont think anyone is gonna transfer cause of pt. i think they might get pushed out for a better incoming class. and thats if they land lance. just wait till he makes his decision. if he chooses another school i think all 3 sites are gonna be pissed because some of us think we have it in the bag. also dont look at him as a saviour. i think thats where some went wrong with justin. he can be great but he needs talent. i think lance with omari, dwight justin,and a big would be nuts. u add a juco point for insurance. and some god damn new play calling and yall are back. its that simple. i f-ing mean yall are louie/jarvis/all them other guys who were winning back.the biggest norm hater wouldnt praise him but would show up to the garden to root for his alma matter.yall have a car with a body and some pirelli wheels. all that is missing is a v12 engine some anti lock brakes a GPS system nice paint job good highway milage and insurance.

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 06:09:31 PM »
nah i think q has talent. ty would be great in the a10 with 4 years and muscle. he is a more pure point than quincy but he isnt ready.  if ty had q strength then he could start at point. it all goes with how they get developed and how they are used. if every player transfered because of playing time college ball would be a joke. i dont think anyone is gonna transfer cause of pt. i think they might get pushed out for a better incoming class. and thats if they land lance. just wait till he makes his decision. if he chooses another school i think all 3 sites are gonna be pissed because some of us think we have it in the bag. also dont look at him as a saviour. i think thats where some went wrong with justin. he can be great but he needs talent. i think lance with omari, dwight justin,and a big would be nuts. u add a juco point for insurance. and some god damn new play calling and yall are back. its that simple. i f-ing mean yall are louie/jarvis/all them other guys who were winning back.the biggest norm hater wouldnt praise him but would show up to the garden to root for his alma matter.yall have a car with a body and some pirelli wheels. all that is missing is a v12 engine some anti lock brakes a GPS system nice paint job good highway milage and insurance.

If we land lance and are that good next season then I'll send Norm a personal apology for wanting him fired and all the things I've said about his coaching the last 2 seasons.

That being said I still want him fired right now :)

Poison

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 07:15:59 PM »

Exactly, ty is more of a pure point. q hopefully isn't going to take minutes from Omari. Omair is our future. I'm praying that his name is called when the starting 5 announced. And that he can run the offense.

Q brings the ball up like he's carrying a piano on his back.

And Kob, you lost me on the Justin Burrell comment. You said "he needs talent" I think we all agree that he has talent, but what he's lacking is direction.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:20:39 PM by Poison »

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 08:14:39 PM »

Exactly, ty is more of a pure point. q hopefully isn't going to take minutes from Omari. Omair is our future. I'm praying that his name is called when the starting 5 announced. And that he can run the offense.

And Kob, you lost me on the Justin Burrell comment. You said "he needs talent" I think we all agree that he has talent, but what he's lacking is direction.

Q is light years ahead of Ty right now.  Ty has no confidence and hasn't shown much. 

Q while not a Point Guard can shoot and defend on this level.  Not sure you can say the same about Ty.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 09:39:51 PM »

Q is light years ahead of Ty right now.  Ty has no confidence and hasn't shown much. 

Q while not a Point Guard can shoot and defend on this level.  Not sure you can say the same about Ty.

he can shoot? really? I must have missed the game where he shot the ball well.

Neither can shoot. Q is an okay defender, a decent rebounder, and a terrible ball handler. So much so, that not much else matters on the court.

kob24

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 10:04:41 PM »
Yeah poison the direction was the gps comment