Uconn Postgame

• 64 replies
Re: Uconn Postgame
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 11:53:43 PM »
Student section was crazy to be in tonight

Hardys off balance 3 when he thought he got fouled and the standing O when he got taken out were my highlights

Yea the student section was phenomenal.  It actually feels like we are part of a big-time program now.  It's really fulfilling after enduring a few years of paltry student crowds and even worse results on the floor.  Everyone seems proud of the team and the school, winning cures everything.

CTMike

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 11:56:48 PM »
First of all, I'm a Uconn fan. Secondly, congrats to St. John's who outworked and outplayed the Huskies in every way. However, I am sitting here absolutely dumbfounded by Uconn's poor performance. They looked like they were playing on 3 hours sleep. After getting embarrassed in the last meeting between these two teams, I thought for sure that the Huskies would be physically and mentally prepared, with their game faces on and ready to lock horns at the Garden. Instead, they looked flat and uninspired. Hats off to the Redmen. As for Uconn, they need to make some adjustments, mostly mental ones, and make them now. Uconn is a talented team, which is proven by the victories they've had against some of the nation's best teams, but clearly they need to recalibrate.

Poison

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 12:07:28 AM »
Calhoun set us off the right in the second half. We never looked back. This was a case of freshman overpowered by seniors. For once, we had Uconn nervous, out of control and unprepared.

We can really out ourselves in a great position with a win in Cinci.
We owe them.

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 12:19:09 AM »
Enjoyed it so much I'll watch the replay a couple of times on ESPN3.I remember when we won so often from those famer that it was almost embarassing.

xhoops

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 01:00:36 AM »
And on the Burrell thing, Evans was flat out just playing better tonight.  The numbers don't tell anything on defense, he couldn't contain the opposing big man for the second straight game.

Please ,Evans on D....that is a world wide first.  And Smith was not scoring on Burrell......he forced him into an air ball jumo hook that missed the basket by several feet. Smith scored on pick and rolls and no rotation or help defense after picking up people not staying in front of their man........layoffs . Did you watch the game?

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 01:25:22 AM »
In response to Xhoops. Burrell is often going to sit when he plays against a beefier guy than him. Oriakhi is just too big and strong for him to cover which is why Dele Coker and Sean Evans saw time tonight. Evans played very well and has played well. He had 7 points and 8 boards...I don't think Justin would have done any better than that. Its a great TEAM effort and win tonight.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 01:28:23 AM »
First of all, I'm a Uconn fan. Secondly, congrats to St. John's who outworked and outplayed the Huskies in every way. However, I am sitting here absolutely dumbfounded by Uconn's poor performance. They looked like they were playing on 3 hours sleep. After getting embarrassed in the last meeting between these two teams, I thought for sure that the Huskies would be physically and mentally prepared, with their game faces on and ready to lock horns at the Garden. Instead, they looked flat and uninspired. Hats off to the Redmen. As for Uconn, they need to make some adjustments, mostly mental ones, and make them now. Uconn is a talented team, which is proven by the victories they've had against some of the nation's best teams, but clearly they need to recalibrate.

Hey thanks for posting I hope you feel free to come back and post some more.

I've been down on UConn since the Summer. I'm amazed at how well they've done this season but I knew they'd have to come back down to earth sometime. I think Kemba is worn out and tired from carrying the team on his back all season and 2nd UConn will struggle against a zone. They don't have knock down shooters and a lot of their offense is created off the bounce.

I hope they continue to do well so this doesn't diminish the win for St. John's however UConn like every Big East team's schedule looks rough.

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 01:39:52 AM »
Even though we allowed 72 points, I thought this was the best defensive gameplan we've had in YEARS.  There was a trap waiting for Kemba every time down and he knew it.  We didn't allow a SINGLE LAY UP to Kemba Walker tonight.

Let me repeat that, St. John's did not allow a single lay up to Kemba tonight.  I would venture to say that hasn't been done by any team all season.  Just a brilliant gameplan tonight from the coaches and brilliant execution by our players.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 01:57:58 AM »
Great win for the team tonite !  However, amongst all the euphoria.......Lavin threw Burrell under the bus tonite...only playing him 4 minutes in the first half..13 total..kid had 3 blocks and 2 assists...3 boards.didn't get a shot.

Lavin can do what he wants, he knows better than all of us.   I say that for two reasons 1)we played amazing and won....... and 2) He's the man.

Random Thoughts,

The best first half in the last 10 years against Duke and the best second half against Uconn in the same season, it's only going to get better fans. 

Welcome Back DJ Kennedy, can it continue?  Vintage DJ tonight, driving, aggressive, 9 boards in the first half alone against a great rebounding team.  We need this guy to start playing on the same level for his career and expectations.  Tonight he exceeded them.

Hardy...fantastic and shooting like we remember from last year.

Horne, always solid and consistent b/c of what he does on both ends.

Sean Evans, doing his job (and dribbling less!!!).

STJ is coming back, wont describe it, but you can just tell.  NYC is ready for it... 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:06:03 AM by B-Squared »

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 02:15:16 AM »
For a lot of reasons, this was a tremendous win. What an a$$kicking!

-It ends a nine game slide to a program that has benefitted as much as anyone from the vacuum of quality coaches in the NY metro area. Between the change in coaches, the tremendous recruiting class, and the sanctions/health/age issues hanging over UConn, hopefully, this game will be cited as yet another turning point in our program and an indication of the fall of their fiefdom.

-Hopefully, it calls attention nationally to the abysmal shooting (35.2%, 88 for 250 shots) that Walker has flung up since the Harvard game in December and hurts his All-American/NPOY chances.

-Hopefully, recruits, locally and nationally, enjoyed what they saw tonight and feel more compelled to be a part of a St. John's renaissance.

-Hopefully, Hardy and Brownlee will receive invitations to the Portsmouth Invitational.

-Even in a loss, glad to see Roscoe, the only UConn guy I'll ever root for, have some success in the Garden.

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 02:34:18 AM »
We have to return the favor to Ciny! Nice win....just wish we were more consistant. We need wins on the road and to defend home court. Finsh strong Red Storm!!!!

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 06:49:49 AM »
manbearpig says awesome. we need to play at the garden more often. really tough next 2 games vs cincy n marquette. we need to win 1 of them preferably cincy

Poison

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 07:22:33 AM »
Sean Evans got rid of the ball last night when he wasn't open.
Last year, he'd throw up a wild shot.

One play in particular, he found DJ as the clock was about to expire,
and DJ drew the foul. No way we see that play last year.

CTMike

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 08:14:28 AM »
Hey thanks for posting I hope you feel free to come back and post some more.

I've been down on UConn since the Summer. I'm amazed at how well they've done this season but I knew they'd have to come back down to earth sometime. I think Kemba is worn out and tired from carrying the team on his back all season and 2nd UConn will struggle against a zone. They don't have knock down shooters and a lot of their offense is created off the bounce.

I hope they continue to do well so this doesn't diminish the win for St. John's however UConn like every Big East team's schedule looks rough.

Thanks Dave. I can understand you're being down on the Huskies as far as expectations. They were picked to finish 10th in the preseason coaches poll, and I don't think anyone figured them for a Top 25 team, yet they've been able to beat Villanova, Tennessee, Kentucky, Michigan St. (when they were ranked #2) and Texas. And somehow they've been able to get ranked as high as #6 (I believe).
As far as having to rely on Kemba, though they've struggled a bit at times as of late (they struggled A LOT last night), other players, particularly Jeremy Lamb, have stepped up to shoulder some of the weight. Shabazz Napier has also played well at times, along with Alex Oriakhi and Roscoe Smith. The problem is they haven't been terribly consistent, and in part this exposes the fact that they are a very young team.

You're right in pointing out Uconn's problems against the zone, and that's something they still haven't solved yet. But this team has proven themselves to be able to play with and beat any team in the country, which makes the effort (or lack of effort) against St. John's all the more disappointing. If they had gone to MSG and given St. John's all they could handle and came away with a loss, I wouldn't feel the way I do. Disappointed? Yes. But I would have appreciated their hustle, grit and determination. Now, all we Huskies fans can hope is that somehow this shellacking at the hands of the Redmen will be a learning and motivational experience.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 08:16:33 AM by CTMike »

CTMike

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 08:27:32 AM »
-Hopefully, it calls attention nationally to the abysmal shooting (35.2%, 88 for 250 shots) that Walker has flung up since the Harvard game in December and hurts his All-American/NPOY chances.

Not The Sleaveless Guy, why are you "hopeful" that Kemba Walker will not be chosen for the All-American team? How does it affect you whether he is or isn't?  ???

This game will not "call attention nationally" to Kemba's recent shooting woes. It is no secret he has been ice cold, not only from the field, but the free throw line as well. Obviously, this can be at least partly attributed to the fact that opponents are prepared to do everything they can to try and shut him down. As a result, what were once open looks are now mostly trying to break free from two defenders to get a decent shot off. Clearly, he hasn't adjusted well to this. I hope Kemba (along with entire Huskies team) does make the necessary adjustments, because they've shown when they're able to do that, and other players share in the offense, they are really a force to be reckoned with.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 08:41:10 AM by CTMike »

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 08:27:53 AM »
And on the Burrell thing, Evans was flat out just playing better tonight.  The numbers don't tell anything on defense, he couldn't contain the opposing big man for the second straight game.

Please ,Evans on D....that is a world wide first.  And Smith was not scoring on Burrell......he forced him into an air ball jumo hook that missed the basket by several feet. Smith scored on pick and rolls and no rotation or help defense after picking up people not staying in front of their man........layoffs . Did you watch the game?

Did you watch anyone play in the game aside from Burrell?  He has been outclassed the last two games, Evans has been better.  It's not a big deal, he will start getting his minutes again, but yesterday was not the right time for him to be out there.  We won the game, so Lavin must have been doing something right with his rotations.

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2011, 08:32:47 AM »
Sean Evans got rid of the ball last night when he wasn't open.
Last year, he'd throw up a wild shot.

One play in particular, he found DJ as the clock was about to expire,
and DJ drew the foul. No way we see that play last year.

I agree, he also had a very nice  bounce pass after driving along the baseline to either Paris or Hardy for a three in the corner as the clock was expiring.  He did take one stupid jump shot early in the shot clock though which made me scratch my head but he has gotten so much smarter with the ball as of late.

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 08:38:34 AM »
In response to Xhoops. Burrell is often going to sit when he plays against a beefier guy than him. Oriakhi is just too big and strong for him to cover which is why Dele Coker and Sean Evans saw time tonight. Evans played very well and has played well. He had 7 points and 8 boards...I don't think Justin would have done any better than that. Its a great TEAM effort and win tonight.

I don't know how y'all feed into xhoops.  He's nothing short of a spammer with his Burrell propaganda.  I root for all these kids, but I can't understand why someone would come on here--after a great win--and say Lavin "threw Burrell under the bus."  LOL  Amazing!

Does xhoops consistently mention Burrell to get a rise?  Does he actually believe what he's saying?  Or, both?  Nevertheless, it makes him come off sounding like a troll.

Enjoy the win, xhoops! 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 08:39:37 AM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 08:46:15 AM »

I don't know how y'all feed into xhoops.  He's nothing short of a spammer with his Burrell propaganda. 

Just exchanging dialogue. He's certainly entitled to his opinion just as anyone else is.

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 09:15:44 AM »
Just exchanging dialogue. He's certainly entitled to his opinion just as anyone else is.

Yes, he is entitled to his own opinion.  Opinions can also be attached with an agenda.  Not to mention, it just takes away from the win when someone complains about a player not getting enough burn.

Nevertheless, xhoops doesn't bother me.  I actually find many of his Burrell-laden posts rather funny.  Oddly funny, per se'.  Just enjoy the win, my friend.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 09:22:27 AM by mjdinkins »