More Good News Perhaps

• 92 replies

Moose

Re: More Good News Perhaps
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2012, 01:31:46 AM »
Why is Orlando Sanchez being billed as a "scorer"? Was he a scorer at Monroe?

You yourself have said you haven't seem him play. You read these boards everyday yet you don't recall a number of posters myself included who mentione how the Monroe backcourt hadn't met a shot they never liked. He didn't get picked for his National team by accident.

Just wondering will you ever be happy with this basketball team ?

We are coming off a 13 win season in which our best player jumped ship after one season. I'm happy, and I'm cautiously optimistic about 12-13 being a better season. I respect the rules of the board/site, but that doesn't mean I can't recognize a problem, when there's a clear one.

No, I haven't seen Sanchez play, and I hadn't seen Gift play when he was talked up like the next Shaq. We beat out Providence and Auburn for Sanchez. I expect he'll be a valuable role player, and I'd be stunned if I was wrong. Usually, I'm not.

Um who called him Shaq?

And care to share some of your evaluations of years past and all the times you were right
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:36:57 AM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2012, 01:35:43 AM »
How many bigs do other schools have? More than we do.

If you're talking about Seton Hall and RU, yea, I hear ya, we're right there w them, and that's not what we're building here.

Georgetown always 4 or 5. They had so many that Henry Sims didn't even need to play until his senior year. SU has at least 3. Louisville has two great ones that start. Uconn has Oriakhi and Drummond, but you know that Calhoun isn't careless enough to go into next season with no bigs on the roster. I'm sure he has bigs waiting their turn.

I just don't want to see us get dunked on at will, and I honestly think Gift shouldn't be in the rotation. He is not a BE player.
SU went , fab melo, Christams, Coleman back to back to back

Yea and played Melo and Rakeem at once. Jimmy knew Melo wouldn't be around so it's easy to bring in Coleman. If Melo was still going to be around I don't see Coleman coming and if he did someone would not be happy.

If we bring in 2 bigs either the big is good and eats into PT of the 3's and 4's right on down the depth chart. Only so many minutes to go around.

Remember unhappy players leave and players leaving is bad APR. Bad APR is hello Uconn right now
So your insinuating that after we land one more big the rest of the ships should go to 13? Let me ask you this, when 3'angelo isn't in the game whose our next best offensive threat and when you answer that ask yourself if that player is exceptionally offensively gifted at the big east level.

I don't think all 13 ships should ever be used. Not worth it.

Harrison will be able to play easier this year with depth. With a legit PG I think you will see more offense from Phil Amir and Dom. If my 5 with Harrison taking a blow is Branch Greene Karr Sanchez and a scoring Center I'm feeling good. Go ahead and throw in any of the other parts at 2 and 3 at times as well. Depth will make everyone's life easier

Chilleb

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2012, 02:06:22 AM »

If you're talking about Seton Hall and RU, yea, I hear ya, we're right there w them, and that's not what we're building here.

Georgetown always 4 or 5. They had so many that Henry Sims didn't even need to play until his senior year. SU has at least 3. Louisville has two great ones that start. Uconn has Oriakhi and Drummond, but you know that Calhoun isn't careless enough to go into next season with no bigs on the roster. I'm sure he has bigs waiting their turn.

I just don't want to see us get dunked on at will, and I honestly think Gift shouldn't be in the rotation. He is not a BE player.

Yea and played Melo and Rakeem at once. Jimmy knew Melo wouldn't be around so it's easy to bring in Coleman. If Melo was still going to be around I don't see Coleman coming and if he did someone would not be happy.

If we bring in 2 bigs either the big is good and eats into PT of the 3's and 4's right on down the depth chart. Only so many minutes to go around.

Remember unhappy players leave and players leaving is bad APR. Bad APR is hello Uconn right now
So your insinuating that after we land one more big the rest of the ships should go to 13? Let me ask you this, when 3'angelo isn't in the game whose our next best offensive threat and when you answer that ask yourself if that player is exceptionally offensively gifted at the big east level.

I don't think all 13 ships should ever be used. Not worth it.

Harrison will be able to play easier this year with depth. With a legit PG I think you will see more offense from Phil Amir and Dom. If my 5 with Harrison taking a blow is Branch Greene Karr Sanchez and a scoring Center I'm feeling good. Go ahead and throw in any of the other parts at 2 and 3 at times as well. Depth will make everyone's life easier
This is one of those you can only know for sure by seeing it, because that scenario is based on the optimism that Phil , Amir and Dom will be offensively legit next year. I think we arguably have the best defending wings in the country next year though.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:07:07 AM by Chilleb »

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2012, 07:20:10 AM »
I think to have a well balanced roster it's better to have 5 bigs just because of plain old Injury and foul trouble.  Are we desperate for two more bigs...no.  But I would feel better.  Our bigs would also be able to face competition in practice.  A fact that I think hurt gift last year.  He had a tough time adjusting to big east play and I think that was part of the problem.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

paultzman

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2012, 07:32:54 AM »
On Josiah Turner - had to look thru the whole thread to see if anyone mentioned it.   He finshed his high school career as a teammte of Sir Dom's at QEA.

Feel pretty confident that if SJU is involved with Turner, they've talked to Dom about any issues for Josiah as a teammate, and gotten positive feedback.

Staff, having had the Nuri experience, will do its due diligence. Have seen this kid play twice on TV. IMO he has enormous ability and fits what Lavin wants to do perfectly.

paultzman

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2012, 07:38:30 AM »
Marco and the posters can have some fun w this "raw" rumor!

ā€œ@NealNieves: Heard Iona also in the mix RT @AdamZagoria: Josiah Turner Considering St. John'sā€

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2012, 07:44:33 AM »
The old Arizona to Iona pipeline ;)
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2012, 08:45:56 AM »
Wow thought that was dead. How great is Grasso? It's almost like an Atlantic 10 transfer is second fiddle at Iona. Besides St Johns and THE Iona Gaels, what other schools mentioned?

Poison

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2012, 09:53:58 AM »
Moose I wrote that i had concerns about size last year. Even before the ineligible situation. Is that good enough? It's the same exact point. We need to be bigger, unless Sanchez and Sampson are just awesome right away. I don't think that's a reasonable expectation. They are undersized, like Gift was, to play the 5 in our conference against the top teams.

If we bring in one big man, there is no insurance policy, should something happen. Something always happens. Lavin spoke of Noah's Ark. That's what I'm talking about.

Tha Kid

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2012, 09:55:52 AM »
Noah's Ark would be two at each position.  Chandler and Gift would be 2 at Center.  In college bball (and even in the NBA) it is rare to have 2 legit centers on a team.   The Celtics currently play Kevin Garnett at center.  The heat play Joel Anthony.  Plenty of teams not playing true/traditional centers at the 5 anymore.  In college it is that much more drastic.  Chandler + Gift is more than fine.  But we certainly need to add ONE true center.
"I drink and I know things"

Moose

« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2012, 09:57:37 AM »
Moose I wrote that i had concerns about size last year. Even before the ineligible situation. Is that good enough? It's the same exact point. We need to be bigger, unless Sanchez and Sampson are just awesome right away. I don't think that's a reasonable expectation. They are undersized, like Gift was, to play the 5 in our conference against the top teams.

If we bring in one big man, there is no insurance policy, should something happen. Something always happens. Lavin spoke of Noah's Ark. That's what I'm talking about.

Lavin's first year we had more size than last year and we finished worse in rebounding.  That team made the NCAA tournament.

Poison

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2012, 10:01:09 AM »
Kid, the paint was wide open last year. You saw the Duke game. Uconn, Kentucky, SU. It was a dunk a thon. Tell me you don't want Noah's Ark? Two centers. Let Jakar Sampson guard Benehan. Not Dieng. Chandler and Obepka, and we're Sweet Sixteen.

sju89tr

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2012, 10:28:02 AM »
Kid, the paint was wide open last year. You saw the Duke game. Uconn, Kentucky, SU. It was a dunk a thon. Tell me you don't want Noah's Ark? Two centers. Let Jakar Sampson guard Benehan. Not Dieng. Chandler and Obepka, and we're Sweet Sixteen.

You really just need one center and more 6'8" guys. Jumping and long arms will get the boards over the 6'11" guys who just take up space for the most part.

desco80

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2012, 10:29:18 AM »

I agree with you that we lack a real second or 3rd scoring option.  Sampson could be it, maybe Sanchez helps as well, but theyre not certainties.  The problem though is I don't think theres an impact recruit out there for 2012 anymore.

I do think Wood fits the bill though.  So if we were to sign him for 2013, and Turner (who was a scoring machine in HS). I'd probably prefer that over another big man who won't see much playing time like a Rhoomes.

Chandler is the obvious exception.  We need to make sure he's going to be here before we talk about secondary recruits or 2013.

sju89tr

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2012, 10:34:52 AM »
If we get who is rumored to be coming, its going to be sick how many points we can score in a game with so many weapons.   

Poison

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2012, 10:41:48 AM »
If we get who is rumored to be coming, its going to be sick how many points we can score in a game with so many weapons.   

Who is rumored to be coming?

Moose

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2012, 10:42:38 AM »

Pelle
Shabazz
And Anthony Bennett

sju89tr

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2012, 10:46:46 AM »

Pelle
Shabazz
And Anthony Bennett

I had heard that KA wants out and he wants to be 3rd PG at STJ lol

Tha Kid

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2012, 10:57:17 AM »
Poison:

Of COURSE I want Noah's ark.  But GIFT was the STARTING center last year.  Chandler is a legit Center.  If he is givins us 25 mins at center, Gift is good for 10-15 with even Jakarr or Sanchez ok to play the 5 for 5-10 depending on the team.

Would it be nice to have 2 legit centers?  Absolutely, but 1 is plenty in college ball.
"I drink and I know things"

desco80

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »
Poison:

Of COURSE I want Noah's ark.  But GIFT was the STARTING center last year.  Chandler is a legit Center.  If he is givins us 25 mins at center, Gift is good for 10-15 with even Jakarr or Sanchez ok to play the 5 for 5-10 depending on the team.

Would it be nice to have 2 legit centers?  Absolutely, but 1 is plenty in college ball.

+1, Kid is on the money.

We'd all LIKE another center (or two), besides Chandler.   But what we don't need is a big doofus who can't move athletically or perform any skill that is related to basketball.     I just don't see any talented "true centers" out there after Chandler.    Maybe I'm wrong and Lavin has one up his sleave, in which case ... bring em on!

But nobody disagrees with you Poision that we would like to have more height,  Chandler will be a huge addition when/if he signs and is eligible.