Midnight Madness

• 252 replies

kob24

Re: Midnight Madness
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 09:38:01 PM »
You want students to come? Bring in the right acts. If I'm not mistaken st johns has a rule that if a music artist had been arrested then they will not perform at the school. St johns needs to get with the times. U want ur midnight madness better than Kentucky or nova then grow up and let the acts come in. Lav is doing his part it's time the school does theirs

desco80

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 09:50:05 PM »
Take everybody's comments and put them together and I think that gives you a good picture of the issue:

1) It is about the students.   Alumni who attend is great, but midnight madness is really about the student population.  Poison was on the right track.

2) Better acts/entertainment surely wouldn't hurt.  At some schools Midnight Madness is a pep rally combined with an on-campus concert, or "fest" (TigerFest,  Husky-fest, etc).   

3) And nothing motivates students and alumni alike, like on the court success.   And potential doesn't always cut it.   Outside of people on this board most "fans" don't know a thing about Chris Obekpa or Marco Bourgault.   Make the tournament two years in a row, and all of a sudden going to a basketball game is the "in" thing.   But just because us die-hards see reason for optimism (albeit cautious optimism for some) that still doesn't mean the students will be whipped into a frenzy.    Consistent success builds that.

Whenever we do this debate over student participation or attendance, it always comes down to a confluence of factors.   Like I said, combine all the comments on here, and collectively that's what makes a program great.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 09:50:46 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 10:09:23 PM »
You want students to come? Bring in the right acts. If I'm not mistaken st johns has a rule that if a music artist had been arrested then they will not perform at the school.

Really ? We're screwed when the best we can hope for is a Celine Dion midnight madness

Poison

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 10:37:53 PM »
Shucks, I was all set to go until Poison said it is not for adults and I would be weird if I went. Oh well, another night homebound. :(

You should go. Maybe you'll win a fee year of college with a half court shot.

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 05:45:05 PM »
Shucks, I was all set to go until Poison said it is not for adults and I would be weird if I went. Oh well, another night homebound. :(

You should go. Maybe you'll win a fee year of college with a half court shot.
Would have to be a year of post doctorate wiseacre! :)

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 03:26:35 AM »
Hey KOB...did the performer have to be arrested or convicted? Sounds like the old line from Stripes...

"Have you boys ever beeb convicted of any felonies or misdermeanors?"

"Convicted?? Never convicted."

kob24

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 11:12:19 AM »
I'm not sure but they can really use some help. I always hear nova and Kentucky mid night madness is just crazy. No reason why st.johns can't be the same. Maybe the alumni give more or maybe they have a bigger student union. But st.johns midnight madness could be waaaayyyyy better

boo3

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2012, 11:34:04 AM »
 I don't really follow the midnight madness but tend to side with Kob. I mean, there is no lack of talent in the NYC area. Getting the right acts would fill the place in a heartbeat. Maybe the acts don't want to do it?  Not enough $$. Maybe St. John's needs a higher national basketball profile?  I believe we are on a our way, but a winning season or two would help.

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2012, 11:39:35 AM »
there's nothing wrong with the midnight madnesses the school has held recently...except the loud hip hop "music" sucks a big donkey dong.  you may as well bring in strippers.  they'll attract a crowd.  who says there should be a concert, anyway?  if yes, put real talent on the floor.

we have some exciting players coming in.  get the frat boys away from their bongs by promoting them on campus.  is there still a school newspaper???radio station?  promote.  promote. promote.

MCNPA

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2012, 01:28:14 PM »
there's nothing wrong with the midnight madnesses the school has held recently...except the loud hip hop "music" sucks a big donkey dong.  you may as well bring in strippers.  they'll attract a crowd.  who says there should be a concert, anyway?  if yes, put real talent on the floor.

we have some exciting players coming in.  get the frat boys away from their bongs by promoting them on campus.  is there still a school newspaper???radio station?  promote.  promote. promote.

Agree on all points.  Gman will attest to this, but the fraternities and sororities at some schools mandate their presence at such events.  No reason there shouldn't be tons of students.  I think a better idea is to have indoor/ outdoor campus party.  They have done this before by closing off in front of Carnesecca and having tents, music, games, food.  Culminate that with the intro of men's and women's teams.  Make it all first come and free for students, then  first serve for a few bucks a piece for other alums and fans.  Need to make it a big event where crux of the event is the students.  The rap thing is old.  The even needs to be a big party for the students on campus and a reason for students to come out of their dorms and attend. 

Heck, when I was at SJU we had a "spring fling" in the lot with beer trucks, and roped off area wi bracelets for students that were of age.  It was fun.

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2012, 02:37:59 PM »
You got the secret FREE BEER.

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2012, 04:29:29 PM »
I remember Oktoberfest my freshman year (1979).  I was 17.  We got a plastic mug with the St John's logo and free refills.  No one asked for ID.  Aaahhhh, the good old days!

Problem, Newsman, is that the hip-hop acts are what is gonna bring the students out.  Last year's act ( I don't even remember his name) was lame.  A bigger act would pack the place.  Rick Ross was scheduled to perform at Memphis' MM last year but he got sick on the plane there and had to be rushed to the hospital.

(Oh yeah, Vado)  :'(
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 05:00:54 PM by simplyred »

kob24

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2012, 04:55:59 PM »
Guys ummmmmmm they don't listen to the beach boys or Barbra Streisand. It's young money and Rihanna

boo3

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2012, 05:06:08 PM »
  Break out some tunes from the roaring 20's by the looks of some at Alumni Hall...

with Kob- you might not like the music but that is what the college kids listen to, and more importantly, our players and potential recruits.  This should be the easiest part of marketing midnight madness.  Some promotion, like Newsie mentioned, of a decent level talent and place will be packed.

boo3

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2012, 05:14:40 PM »
 Beer would work too...

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2012, 06:02:31 PM »
Beer would work too...
Beer and Rihanna

kob24

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »

Poison

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2012, 07:48:57 PM »
You want students to come? Bring in the right acts. If I'm not mistaken st johns has a rule that if a music artist had been arrested then they will not perform at the school. St johns needs to get with the times. U want ur midnight madness better than Kentucky or nova then grow up and let the acts come in. Lav is doing his part it's time the school does theirs

Jarvis tried the convict thing at St.John's. I don't care for how it turned out.

desco80

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2012, 08:31:22 PM »

Newsman,  actually I heard this summer that the Torch has a new faculty adviser ... Newsday sports columnist (and SJU alum) Jim Baumbach. 
So there's definitely potential for better sports coverage.

boo3

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2012, 09:44:20 PM »

Jarvis tried the convict thing at St.John's. I don't care for how it turned out.

Jarvis back then did kinda look like Suge Knight....