Top Rebounder: Obekpa
Assist Leader: Phil
Top Shot Blocker: Obekpa
Steal Leader: Amir
Most Improved Player: Phil
Least Improved Player: Amir
Top Overall Newcomer (including a Freshman, Transfer or JUCO):Sanchez
Top Freshman: Jones
You think Jones is going to be better then Sampson?

At the time I was thinking Most surprising freshman.

sju89tr

Re: Predicitions
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2012, 07:19:58 PM »
freddy i doubt it.  by the way who is the leading rebounder in sju history and 4th leading scorer? zendon.  but he would drive franny nuts as he always tried to dribble in the backcourt after a rebound.  at which time franny would stomp his foot....until zendon would pass the ball.
Not sure big Z eclipsed George Johnson's record for all time leading rebounder.

Nope, not even close - Zendon 949, Johnson 1250.

Zendon also trails Tony Jackson and Sonny Dove in rebounds and they did their "board cleaning" in only 3 years.

But to Zendon's credit no one got to the FT line more than he did

A very UNDERRATED talent --- IF---you can HIT your FT's!

Can anyone explain to me (since I didn't follow SJU during his time here) how Zendon could drop from an 80% FT shooter  (204 of 256) as a sophomore, to a 65% FT shooter (170 of 260) as a Senior?   Was it mechanical? Mental? Injury?

Zendon went to the line a ton, I always felt that if he were stronger his numbers would have been absurd but he couldn't finish after he was fouled. I have no clue why his percentage dropped but it felt that he was a much better foul shooter than his percentage indicated. Perhaps the change in coaching to Fran had an impact, maybe they changed his mechanics.   

boo3

« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2012, 07:25:28 PM »
 Zendon was one of the most unique players I've seen the last 20 years, both in a good and bad way.

Not sure how to answer CrGreen's question-  I never thought his form was great to begin with. He kind of flicked it up there. 

He grabbed a ton of boards , 1/2 of which were off his own misses.  His soph numbers were terrific 20 and 10 i believe, or damn near close.

sju89tr

« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2012, 07:28:11 PM »
Zendon was one of the most unique players I've seen the last 20 years, both in a good and bad way.

Not sure how to answer CrGreen's question-  I never thought his form was great to begin with. He kind of flicked it up there. 

He grabbed a ton of boards , 1/2 of which were off his own misses.  His soph numbers were terrific 20 and 10 i believe, or damn near close.

was a victim of bad coaching and a lack of other bulk in the paint and of course a true PG

boo3

« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2012, 07:31:20 PM »
 He should have been a much better defensive player and shot blocker as well. 

When I see the Henson kid from UNC, I'm reminded of Zendon.  Zendon was a little bigger/bulkier.

LJSA

« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2012, 08:28:42 PM »
He should have been a much better defensive player and shot blocker as well. 

When I see the Henson kid from UNC, I'm reminded of Zendon.  Zendon was a little bigger/bulkier.

Zendon didn't contest shots because he was afraid to roll his ankles. I heard that straight from his ex-Sewanhaka teammates' mouths way back when.

Poison

« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2012, 09:06:13 PM »
Zendon's biggest problem was that he was selfish. Once he had the ball he was going up with it no matter what.

« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2012, 10:25:24 PM »
Zee was a black hole, remember one nice drop step move in his career at StJ think it was vs cuse. I just remember him being "herky jerky" and very unorthodox.

crgreen

« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2012, 10:54:18 PM »
Zee was a black hole, remember one nice drop step move in his career at StJ think it was vs cuse. I just remember him being "herky jerky" and very unorthodox.

Understatement.  18, 21, 11 and 12.   Those are his assist TOTALS for his 4 years of College.   62 assists in 114 games and 3,571 minutes - one assist every FIFTY-EIGHT minutes on the court.   Honestly don't think I've EVER seen that bad an assist per minute rate.

LJSA

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2012, 12:28:45 AM »

Understatement.  18, 21, 11 and 12.   Those are his assist TOTALS for his 4 years of College.   62 assists in 114 games and 3,571 minutes - one assist every FIFTY-EIGHT minutes on the court.   Honestly don't think I've EVER seen that bad an assist per minute rate.

In his defense, we don't know what it would have looked like if he tried to pass. If he had horrible aim and no basketball IQ, perhaps being a black hole was in everyone's best interests.

crgreen

« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2012, 05:41:31 AM »

In his defense, we don't know what it would have looked like if he tried to pass. If he had horrible aim and no basketball IQ, perhaps being a black hole was in everyone's best interests.

Well, we know that from 15 feet away he could place a ball inside an 18" diameter 10 foot elevated circular target over 70% of the time (642 out of 912 FT attempts)....pretty good indicator he COULD have gotten a pass in the vicinity of his intended target on a pretty regular basis had he chosen to!   :)

Poison

« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2012, 08:39:30 AM »
I recall watching a practice where Mahoney had Z posting up and Mahoney was feeding him the ball. Mahoney had one instruction: "Zendon, don't face the basket". Several times Zendon would catch the ball, turn his body around, and begin dribbling.

Mahoney stopped the drill, and said again, "Zendon, when I pass you the ball either back your way, or kick it out if you're doubled". They tried again. On the very first pass, Z turned right around, and dribbled to the basket.

Yes, Mahoney was an awful coach, but to be fair, he had players that were selfish, and unwilling to play within a team concept. It wasn't just Z. Lopez and Scott also fought for shots as well. It was every bit as ugly as the Norm years, only Mahoney had NBA talent up and down his roster.