Felipe Discussion from Rysheed Thread

• 107 replies

Poison

Re: Felipe Discussion from Rysheed Thread
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2012, 02:39:46 PM »
I found Brust amusing but he was just a role player. I agree he is overated by the fan base.

Matty was the best player on the squad his senior year and it's clear cut team leader.  If that's how you define "role player", than I agree.

Showtime was severely underatted and rarely ever warrants a mention in this forum and never makes it onto any lists.  Prolific scorer pre-injury straight out of the Hatten mold.  Same give him the ball, get out of the way and watch the magic style.  Did yeoman's work as a scorer on the most talent and numbers depleted SJU team ever following the Steel city
sexcapade.

You think Showtime was underrated? Where is he rated? Where should he be rated?

Maybe underrated's the wrong term for Show. Just felt he was an extremely talented player that played very well for us in his limited time here who could of had a stellar/more influential career if it wasn't tragically cut short by injury.

5 posts in a row.  I'm really bumping up my POY candidacy.

I had a bad feeling about Showtime the moment I heard that his nickname was "Showtime". I agree, he showed a lot of potential, but we simply didn't have any complimentary players for him to work with. By the time he became a junior, he had one knee, and he sadly was basically done. I would give him an incomplete, but if I saw him tomorrow at MSG, I'd shake his hand, and thank him for not bailing on SJ, when everyone else did.

ras

« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2012, 03:18:54 PM »
Brust was far from our best player, but he was a warrier and tough as nails. I think he was even offered a FB scholi from a major program.

pmg911

« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2012, 03:41:40 PM »
Brust was far from our best player, but he was a warrier and tough as nails. I think he was even offered a FB scholi from a major program.

He was not as tough as many thought, there is a difference between tough and dirty and Brust played dirty.

« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2012, 04:45:28 PM »
Agree with everyone here who thinks that Felipe was far from a bust at SJU, and in fact was a really good player.  Put Felipe with the staff and talent we have now, and he would have been a first team BE player multiple times IMO.  Class act and the fact that he didn't turn out to justify the ridiculous hype that surrounded him is not his fault.

TONYD3

« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2012, 05:50:16 PM »
Wow!! Haven't said or thought this since norm left- I can't believe in just read 5 pages of that shit

crgreen

« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2012, 09:38:08 PM »
At 6-8 Berry shot 58% from the field and really should not have passed to anyone as he really was unstopable down low. He too was herky jerky, but it just looked cooler.
I know you are just using Berry as a high end example of why Hamilton should have been more appreciated, but I just happen to hold Berry in a ridiculously high regard.

Agree with your comment - why WOULD you have a guy that econocical pass the ball to anyone (unless they had an absolute layup).   Thin about this.  Within living memory, Oregon State was once the number 1 team in the country (lost in the dance).   Their star was a 6'10 225 lb center who'd averaged 17 pts as a Junior, and returned to post 21 pts a game his senior year.   This was all of 3 seasons before Berry played for SJU.   His last year hear, Walter averaged 23 pts a game, and shot not 58% from the field but 60% from the field (59.8%) by making 327 of 547 shots.   As you note - crazy to have him pass and not shot.   But this other guy?  I've never figured out WHY his coach (a hall of famer, Ralph Miller) used him as he did.   Because Steve Johnson WAS asked to pass out of the post.   That Senior year when he averaged 21 pts a game, he took  232 LESS shots from the field than Berry did getting 23.   Steve Johnson shot 74.6% from the field.   It wasn't a fluke - as a Junior he'd averaged 17 a game shooting 71% from the field.

I know you don't want a player to appear greedy, but how do you NOT have a 75% FG shooter taking every dang shot possible?  If only till they defended him down to say, 65% from the field?????   I mean the BEST options he could be passing to would likely be at best 50% shooters!.

Johnson as a fr. hit 159 of 267 (59.6%) for 13.5.
Johnson as a so. hit 197 of 298 (66.1%) for 18.4.
Johnson as a jr. hit 211 of 297 (71.0%) for 17.0.
Johnson as a sr. hit 235 of 315 (74.6%) for 21.0.

His career percentage of 67.8% is the record among guys with 13 or more pts per game .

He was drafted by the Knicks, put up 13 pts as a rookie and 12 as a soph for them - shooting 61.3% and 62.4% from the field.

I know, I know.  A bit far afield.   Probably the meds kicking in....

« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2012, 10:46:21 AM »
At 6-8 Berry shot 58% from the field and really should not have passed to anyone as he really was unstopable down low. He too was herky jerky, but it just looked cooler.
I know you are just using Berry as a high end example of why Hamilton should have been more appreciated, but I just happen to hold Berry in a ridiculously high regard.

He was certainly special and aptly referred to as "The Truth" (even the nickname was cool)...it was a shame that he hurt his ankle prior to the game with Auburn...they had a big front line and presented a tough matchup with him hurting...he had some decent stats in his short NBA career... 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 10:46:58 AM by section3 »

« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2012, 03:08:10 AM »
I liked his nickname at San Jacinto- they called him 'toll free' because his fg% was .800 (almost)