Really Really down on Lavin

• 253 replies
Really Really down on Lavin
« on: March 05, 2013, 09:40:15 PM »
In all aspects of the program right now, Lavin is not performing well. From a discipline standpoint and a coaching standpoint, this team has a lot of issues. Bad enough our play on the court was embarassing, but throw in a fight, and it's just total chaos.

I didn't expect NCAA bid this year, figured an NIT bid would be ok as long as the team showed improvement and finished strong. The finish to this season has been a disaster. Lavin's recruiting flaws are showing and his coaching flaws are also glaring. Can he recruit? Yes. But it's inexcusable to not have more perimeter scoring. His in game adjustments? As Digger said tonight, non-existent. You can blame young, you can blame whatever you want, but the team on the floor tonight was a reflection of the coach. And the incident is a reflection of the type of program that is developing.

Lavin has to get it together. The cracks are beginning to show.

paultzman

Re: Really Really down on Lavin
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 09:41:47 PM »
In all aspects of the program right now, Lavin is not performing well. From a discipline standpoint and a coaching standpoint, this team has a lot of issues. Bad enough our play on the court was embarassing, but throw in a fight, and it's just total chaos.

I didn't expect NCAA bid this year, figured an NIT bid would be ok as long as the team showed improvement and finished strong. The finish to this season has been a disaster. Lavin's recruiting flaws are showing and his coaching flaws are also glaring. Can he recruit? Yes. But it's inexcusable to not have more perimeter scoring. His in game adjustments? As Digger said tonight, non-existent. You can blame young, you can blame whatever you want, but the team on the floor tonight was a reflection of the coach. And the incident is a reflection of the type of program that is developing.

Great post!

Poison

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 09:47:30 PM »

He's looking a lot like Brian Mahoney right now.

boo3

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:47:39 PM »
 Should probably just fire him and start over..

Who should be the next coach?

Should I start a separate thread?

How about Bob McKillop?   Seth Greenberg?  Doherty still interested?     ::)

Moose

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 09:48:08 PM »
Mark Jackson

......oh wait he hates STJ :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 09:48:58 PM »
Dunlap will probably be available

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 09:51:18 PM »

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 09:51:40 PM »
No looking to fire him, but holding him accountable for putting a competitive team together next year. He may not be the best  X and O guy, but what concerns me more is our poor roster makeup and absence of a functional offense. Is that too harsh Boo?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:52:27 PM by paultzman »

Poison

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 09:51:46 PM »

Who's the guy at Stony Brook? He's built something from absolutely nothing.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 09:53:16 PM »
No looking to fire him, but holding him accountable for putting a competitive team together next year. He may not be an X and O guy, but what concerns me more is our poor roster makeup and absence of a functional offense. Is that too harsh Boo?

I don't understand how a coach isn't an Xs and O's guy. If he isn't an Xs and O's guy, he's a GM. Lavin looks more and more like a guy who was born into a basketball family more than a great motivator, teacher and coach.

bk8664

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 09:54:16 PM »
No looking to fire him, but holding him accountable for putting a competitive team together next year. He may not be the best  X and O guy, but what concerns me more is our poor roster makeup and absence of a functional offense. Is that too harsh Boo?

I actually don't recall seeing the 'weave' tonight?  Did we finally kill that dog off?  that's improvement, isn't it? ::)

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 09:55:02 PM »

Again who is saying he should be fired? Deserves some heat though, no? Team in shambles. Why can't people question coaching w/o people getting bent out of shape? If you are not going to question him now, you might as well help MCNPA put a Golden Halo on his head.

Moose

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 09:55:17 PM »

I actually don't recall seeing the 'weave' tonight?  Did we finally kill that dog off?  that's improvement, isn't it? ::)

Based on tonights score maybe we should have run the weave.

Moose

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 09:55:58 PM »

Again who is saying he should be fired? Deserves some heat though, no? Team in shambles. Why can't people question coaching w/o people getting bent out of shape? If you are not going to question him now, you might as well help MCNPA put a Golden Halo on his head.

I love the fact that you made a post about Lavin apologists and I wasn't part of it since I jumped ship :)

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 09:56:37 PM »

please make it stop. We always complained when Calgoon or Smiling jim got a player back from suspension for taking a stereo, or breaking in or assault after 1 game. Lavs made a decision based on D'Lo's future in basketball and in life i think. I don't like the end results as much as you guys but at least he is doing what he deems the right thing. Ill ride this out with coach, yeah tonight made me want to throw something through my TV but we all know we cant shoot. Once we get behind its a done deal for the most part.

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 09:58:05 PM »

I love the fact that you made a post about Lavin apologists and I wasn't part of it since I jumped ship :)
bff's

Moose

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 09:58:15 PM »

please make it stop. We always complained when Calgoon or Smiling jim got a player back from suspension for taking a stereo, or breaking in or assault after 1 game. Lavs made a decision based on D'Lo's future in basketball and in life i think. I don't like the end results as much as you guys but at least he is doing what he deems the right thing. Ill ride this out with coach, yeah tonight made me want to throw something through my TV but we all know we cant shoot. Once we get behind its a done deal for the most part.

Do you throw with your right hand?

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 09:59:44 PM »

Do you throw with your right hand?

lefty actually  ::)

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 10:04:43 PM »
for those that want to hold him accountable, i suggest you tweet him directly @stjcoachlavin using hashtag #stjbb

he and the school read them and it's public.

boo3

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 10:08:23 PM »

+1000..... sorry, just wanted to try that once.. it look so much fun.