Really Really down on Lavin

• 253 replies
Re: Really Really down on Lavin
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 10:10:12 PM »
In all aspects of the program right now, Lavin is not performing well. From a discipline standpoint and a coaching standpoint, this team has a lot of issues. Bad enough our play on the court was embarassing, but throw in a fight, and it's just total chaos.

I didn't expect NCAA bid this year, figured an NIT bid would be ok as long as the team showed improvement and finished strong. The finish to this season has been a disaster. Lavin's recruiting flaws are showing and his coaching flaws are also glaring. Can he recruit? Yes. But it's inexcusable to not have more perimeter scoring. His in game adjustments? As Digger said tonight, non-existent. You can blame young, you can blame whatever you want, but the team on the floor tonight was a reflection of the coach. And the incident is a reflection of the type of program that is developing.

Lavin has to get it together. The cracks are beginning to show.

What I don't understand us why much of what you say was not evident some time ago. Some of us predicted some time ago that this team would only win 8 or at best 9 games in the BE and that was when we had 6 wins against a most favorable schedule. All year long all we heard from dillusional fans was the term "young team" which by the amount of minutes played was BOGUS.

It is obvious that Lavin lacks a qualified 2 nd assisstant, and most recently a bonified recruiter.  Ths year Lavin has whiffed on every recruit he went after.  Tonite, everyone is upset about the ND blow out, why? With the recent distractions, continued abismal play, poor shooting, an ineffective offense what did you expect, a win? 

I feel sorry for coach. He as had a couple of tough years. Battled cancer, lost his dad and had a player on the team that could give you ulcers.  I think that the current state of affairs can be fixed but it's going to take work on the part of the coaching staff and the players themselves. Lavin needs to reconfigure his staff and import an x and o guy and the kids have got to work hard on their shooting over the summer. My only concern is the recent recruiting failures.  Dont know what to do to help that.

Anyway, I am not ready to throw oath under the bus.  Sure things look bad at this time but things can change, it's just gonna take a lot of ard work.

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 10:11:48 PM »
In all aspects of the program right now, Lavin is not performing well. From a discipline standpoint and a coaching standpoint, this team has a lot of issues. Bad enough our play on the court was embarassing, but throw in a fight, and it's just total chaos.

I didn't expect NCAA bid this year, figured an NIT bid would be ok as long as the team showed improvement and finished strong. The finish to this season has been a disaster. Lavin's recruiting flaws are showing and his coaching flaws are also glaring. Can he recruit? Yes. But it's inexcusable to not have more perimeter scoring. His in game adjustments? As Digger said tonight, non-existent. You can blame young, you can blame whatever you want, but the team on the floor tonight was a reflection of the coach. And the incident is a reflection of the type of program that is developing.

What I don't understand us why much of what you say was not evident some time ago. Some of us predicted some time ago that this team would only win 8 or at best 9 games in the BE and that was when we had 6 wins against a most favorable schedule. All year long all we heard from dillusional fans was the term "young team" which by the amount of minutes played was BOGUS.

It is obvious that Lavin lacks a qualified 2 nd assisstant, and most recently a bonified recruiter.  Ths year Lavin has whiffed on every recruit he went after.  Tonite, everyone is upset about the ND blow out, why? With the recent distractions, continued abismal play, poor shooting, an ineffective offense what did you expect, a win? 

I feel sorry for coach. He as had a couple of tough years. Battled cancer, lost his dad and had a player on the team that could give you ulcers.  I think that the current state of affairs can be fixed but it's going to take work on the part of the coaching staff and the players themselves. Lavin needs to reconfigure his staff and import an x and o guy and the kids have got to work hard on their shooting over the summer. My only concern is the recent recruiting failures.  Dont know what to do to help that.

Anyway, I am not ready to throw oath under the bus.  Sure things look bad at this time but things can change, it's just gonna take a lot of ard work.

Who are you and what have you done with Linda.

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 10:14:18 PM »

xanax works well

boo3

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 10:15:17 PM »
Should probably just fire him and start over..

Who should be the next coach?

Should I start a separate thread?

How about Bob McKillop?   Seth Greenberg?  Doherty still interested?     ::)

Again who is saying he should be fired? Deserves some heat though, no? Team in shambles. Why can't people question coaching w/o people getting bent out of shape? If you are not going to question him now, you might as well help MCNPA put a Golden Halo on his head.

That would be me....

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 10:17:57 PM »
@stjcoachlavin
Dom apologized for losing his composure and will serve his penalty by missing the final game against Marquette. #stjbb

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 10:18:10 PM »

xanax works well

You would know. ;)

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 10:18:36 PM »
Steve Lavin @STJCoachLavin
We want to play with intensity but also use intelligence in order to play a winning brand of basketball. #stjbb

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 10:19:07 PM »
We have to demonstrate more maturity than we did tonight. #stjbb

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 10:19:23 PM »
Lavin can win here. Hell he already has with Norm's guys. Part of our problems have to do with starting from scratch, and that is understandable. Losing Moe didn't help the rebuilding. However, I think this is a crucial off-season. Lavin needs to evaluate everything. Something isn't right with this team. Maybe it is simple as maturity, but next year should be an NCAA year. Yet somehow it doesn't feel like it will be.

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 10:20:29 PM »

xanax works well

You would know. ;)
I would. Love it when I fly

boo3

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 10:22:13 PM »

xanax works well

You would know. ;)
I would. Love it when I fly

Also helps to take a full bar before our tip-offs.  Then you don't really give 2 shits...

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 10:23:40 PM »
Look i love Lavs as the face of our program, i respect the fact he lost Moe to the NBA and he lost Dunlap, but he does have a coach on his staff who won 550 games and a few guys who must of learned something playing and coaching in the NBA. I really don't think most of the players have improved since coming here, how many stories did we hear of all the NBA players on campus his first yr working out with Rico and so on, hopefully after a win or two in the NIT he sits down and re-evaluates his staff and the theory of having a team of all 2/3's who can't shoot and no true center.

boo3

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 10:23:57 PM »

Now is everyone's opportunity to tell Lavin what he should do.  Flood his twitter.  I'll go first... don't be shy.   :D

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 10:24:34 PM »

Now is everyone's opportunity to tell Lavin what he should do.  Flood his twitter.  I'll go first... don't be shy.   :D

i'm all over him right now on twitter. get at him people!

boo3

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2013, 10:25:23 PM »
 Dom, Sampson, and Obekpa have all improved a lot IMO.  The rest, not so much. Some  get an incomplete.

Marillac

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2013, 10:28:15 PM »

Horsesh*t post. 
This team will be fantastic next year.  Harrison's was suspended to ensure that happens.  Sanchez is everything we needed up front and Obekpa and Sampson will come back as men.  Give Lavin one freaking year of having his own juniors...you guys are freaking crazy.

paultzman

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2013, 10:28:53 PM »
Dom, Sampson, and Obekpa have all improved a lot IMO.  The rest, not so much. Some  get an incomplete.

Agree on those three.

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2013, 10:29:17 PM »
only thing worse than getting criticized by a message board is getting criticized by a bunch of hash tags

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2013, 10:30:55 PM »
I don't mind the fight so much, emotions run high on the court and it looked like it went both ways.

What I mind is how bad we are without Dee, and if he is not back next year we will be bad again. Very bad. If Sampson goes too...wow

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
When the team shows flashes of playing up to their potential it makes it that much more frustrating when they don't. I think the wrenches thrown into the season of no Dunlap, Marco/Sanchez, Harrison suspension, losing out on top recruits, and other things culminate into a lot fans feeling let down.

I think after Lavin pulled a miraculous recruiting class his first time around the bar was set so high. While I think Lavin is deserving of some heat and there are areas that need to improve, I don't think all is lost. This team wasn't predicted to finish too well and they were on the cusp of being an NCAA team this year despite many things.

This team is a lot further along than a lot of Big East teams. Look at Rutgers, Seton Hall, and DePaul who all made coaching changes around same time and St. John's is far superior. USF returning good minutes from NCAA team and they've fallen.

Should you be mad, upset, disappointed? Sure. However don't go off the deep end.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle