Next year's starting backcourt

• 91 replies
Re: Next year's starting backcourt
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 10:45:13 AM »
Insubordination is tough to recover from

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 10:51:45 AM »
Other than stating he shot a push shot(he does) that angered many early in his Frosh year, I have not posted one negative about Harrison. I like his game, I like that he plays with passion. Is he a pain in the arse? Sounds like it but as a fan of the team I could care less. A majority on these boards do have an issue with Harrison and the criticism of him went way overboard. Thug? Gang member? One clown on Redmen even said he should come off the bench. The truth is anything Harrison did that was offensive was done behind the scenes but that did not stop the criticism. Most of the criticism was based on how he looks IMO.

The above was just the"fans". Obviously the coach had an issue with him as well. Was it warranted? Probably. I hope so, as he chose to suspend him for the year on a team that was on the fringe of the bubble and a possibility for the NIT. So clearly Lavin has an issue and clearly Lavin loves Phil Greene. Combine all of that with the fact that we might be getting a talented guard to come in here, why wouldn't there be speculation that Harrison is gone? Does anyone think Lavin wants to deal with Harrison as he tries to juggle four guards? Does anyone want to see Lavin try to juggle four guards?

Based on all of that IMO I do not think Harrison is coming back. You can disagree with me but for anyone to get all high an mighty becuase of my opinion they could go screw.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:53:50 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 11:08:03 AM »
In addition to any bitterness Harrison may feel, I am not sure Lavin is totally sold on having him back. Now if Jordan comes.........
I agree with a lot you have said, but here I disagree wholeheartedly. If Harrison fulfills the conditions that Lavin set out, Lavin will let him back. What Harrison decides to do is another story and if he wants to grow up I hope he stays. But who knows, but I don't think Lavin would play with him, just because he gets Jordan. You need to have multiple scoring options as we witnessed last night and the bodies to run for 60 minutes.

It was mentioned in a article that Kevin Ware was unofficially suspended this year by Pitino, it wasn't until he broke his leg that he realized what he had been doing to deserve it. Some kids learn others keep blaming others for their problems. We will see.

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 11:11:57 AM »
Other than stating he shot a push shot(he does) that angered many early in his Frosh year, I have not posted one negative about Harrison. I like his game, I like that he plays with passion. Is he a pain in the arse? Sounds like it but as a fan of the team I could care less. A majority on these boards do have an issue with Harrison and the criticism of him went way overboard. Thug? Gang member? One clown on Redmen even said he should come off the bench. The truth is anything Harrison did that was offensive was done behind the scenes but that did not stop the criticism. Most of the criticism was based on how he looks IMO.

The above was just the"fans". Obviously the coach had an issue with him as well. Was it warranted? Probably. I hope so, as he chose to suspend him for the year on a team that was on the fringe of the bubble and a possibility for the NIT. So clearly Lavin has an issue and clearly Lavin loves Phil Greene. Combine all of that with the fact that we might be getting a talented guard to come in here, why wouldn't there be speculation that Harrison is gone? Does anyone think Lavin wants to deal with Harrison as he tries to juggle four guards? Does anyone want to see Lavin try to juggle four guards?

Based on all of that IMO I do not think Harrison is coming back. You can disagree with me but for anyone to get all high an mighty becuase of my opinion they could go screw.

dont disagree with your opinion at all.  disagree with the parameters of the poll, which seem a bit malicious.  at worst, odds of dangelo returning next year is a coin flip.  therefore, he is far more likely to start than lipscomb. 

DFF6

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 11:12:11 AM »
And once again the poll graphic looks like sideways middle finger salute.  Coincidence? 

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 11:17:10 AM »
it's hard to say whether or not harrison is coming back.  that's because no one has any idea what caused the "suspension" in the first place.

i'd love to see him and his talent play for us next season.  we'd be better off if he's still on board with a whole new attitude.

lavin is on the spot.  he can take a chance on harrison and his huge upside.  what happens if harrison tells a coach to go "f" himself sometime in mid season?  does coach look the other way?  does he suspend him again?  does he kick him off the team altogether?  will next year's promising season go down the tubes because we're "team turmoil" again?

is the upside worth the great risk?  will we be much worse without him? what would you do??

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 11:19:02 AM »
Not malicious, I like Harrison! I have never seen Jordan play so I am not pushing him out the door and nothing I post will have one iota of a bearing on if he stays or goes. As for the Lipscomb thing. Lavin played the guy in the BET and NIT, so if that was just random craziness, the guy should play next year no ;)

BTW if Harrison does shock the world and come back, I can't wait to see Lavin juggle Greene, Branch, Harrison, Jordan, Lipscomb, Pointer and Marco Hooper. I am pretty sure his head will explode and the board should be interesting.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:19:45 AM by we are sju »

Poison

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 12:16:45 PM »
Not malicious, I like Harrison! I have never seen Jordan play so I am not pushing him out the door and nothing I post will have one iota of a bearing on if he stays or goes. As for the Lipscomb thing. Lavin played the guy in the BET and NIT, so if that was just random craziness, the guy should play next year no ;)

BTW if Harrison does shock the world and come back, I can't wait to see Lavin juggle Greene, Branch, Harrison, Jordan, Lipscomb, Pointer and Marco Hooper. I am pretty sure his head will explode and the board should be interesting.

Look at the teams that made the tournament. They had a Harrison and a Jordan. They also had strong benches too.

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 12:18:52 PM »
At this point if you "would be shocked" if Harrison comes back, it seems you are just trying to be a contrarian for contrarian's sake. There isn't a ton of evidence, but there's a nice little pile, and they ALL point to him coming back. Feels to me like 80% he comes back.

TheVig

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 12:29:18 PM »
At this point if you "would be shocked" if Harrison comes back, it seems you are just trying to be a contrarian for contrarian's sake. There isn't a ton of evidence, but there's a nice little pile, and they ALL point to him coming back. Feels to me like 80% he comes back.
I share this opinion...

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 12:39:54 PM »
If Harrison and Jordan are on next years roster than I would say Branch and Harrison start. That is unless Jordan has some sort of guaranted starting spot which I don't think is a good idea. Not because he's not good enough but because it can get messy.

And I really hope Harrison comes back because he is the different between us being a really competitive/good team and an explosive potentially great team.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 12:45:28 PM »
Jordan and Harrison. 

If Harrison doesn't come back, Jordan and Branch.

uwsfan

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 12:46:49 PM »
I share this opinion...

Me too.

I think our starting backcourt to begin the season is Branch & Harrison. But could be Jordan & Harrison before start of BE play.  I actually think they have lots of options for starting lineups next year, including a 3 guard lineup including Branch, Harrison & Jordan, with Jakarr & Orlando in the frontcourt.

If i were Phil Green, I would see the writing on the wall and  bolt.

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 12:47:21 PM »
Based off everything you saw over this last season you really believe there is a scenerio where Greene is not starting next year?

Poison

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 12:56:05 PM »
Based off everything you saw over this last season you really believe there is a scenerio where Greene is not starting next year?

I can see him starting at the beginning of the season, but unless he plays at a very high level, I don't think he'll remain a starter. Adding Jordan gives us two point guards.

Greene shouldn't give up his job right away. He needs to furiously work on his jumper, and spell both guards by being aggressive on d and getting into the lane and dropping that floater. If he keeps working and getting better, he'll get minutes, but everyone will be getting less bec there are a lot of capable players now.

SJUFAN

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 12:57:58 PM »
Let's officially get Jordan before we begin thinking of starters. For the record, I believe Harrison is coming back, until proven otherwise. There is no reason for him to wait until the end of the semester to announce that he is leaving. Amir didn't wait. There is more evidence to suggest he is staying than leaving.

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013, 01:16:18 PM »
Next years roster:

Jordan - Branch
DLo - Greene
Pointer - Hooper - Bourgualt
Jakarr - Orlando
Obekpa - GG

with Jones and Balamou redshirting

Legit 10-11 man rotation and two deep everywhere. Im excited for next year. Hopefully everything works out good. :)

Also, I think DLo is likely coming back. No reason to not put him on the list of possibilities for starting backcourt.

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2013, 01:17:20 PM »
The term "starter" on Lavin's teams isn't very important. Dwayne Polee was a starter.

derk

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2013, 01:19:15 PM »
it's hard to say whether or not harrison is coming back.  that's because no one has any idea what caused the "suspension" in the first place.

i'd love to see him and his talent play for us next season.  we'd be better off if he's still on board with a whole new attitude.

lavin is on the spot.  he can take a chance on harrison and his huge upside.  what happens if harrison tells a coach to go "f" himself sometime in mid season?  does coach look the other way?  does he suspend him again?  does he kick him off the team altogether?  will next year's promising season go down the tubes because we're "team turmoil" again?

is the upside worth the great risk?  will we be much worse without him? what would you do??

Harrison will be on a short leash and at the first sign of any problem, dropped. Don't think this will happen. If Lavin even slightly suspects a problem, he won't offer to take him back. He'll also have to apologize to his teammates.

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2013, 01:24:26 PM »
No one plays 10 or 11 people. It is not feasible. 8 maybe 9 play. In his two years as coach, Lavin seems more comfortable in 7-8 range which is fine. Playing 9, 10 guys by putting them in for 2 minutes than taking them out is a gimmick and adds nothing. It is actually distracting.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:25:14 PM by we are sju »