Next year's starting backcourt

• 91 replies
Re: Next year's starting backcourt
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 01:34:55 PM »
No one plays 10 or 11 people. It is not feasible. 8 maybe 9 play. In his two years as coach, Lavin seems more comfortable in 7-8 range which is fine. Playing 9, 10 guys by putting them in for 2 minutes than taking them out is a gimmick and adds nothing. It is actually distracting.

Im talking more about we can go to 10-11 guys no problem. We have good depth for the first time in a long time if everything works out.

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2013, 01:35:22 PM »
I'm also afraid that 3'lo won't return next season.  And I usually disagree with Wasju as a matter of course.

Our best guard not named Harrison is virtually guaranteed to start and get his customary 37 minutes.  Mean Joe either running the show or 1st rate combo guard in 13/14.  Can't wait.

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2013, 01:36:43 PM »
I hope he does come back as I am a Harrison fan unlike the numerous numbskulls who have criticized him for the past 2 years. There is obviously a problem though and IMO he won't be back.
OK with the skull being numb. Those who maintain Harrison deserved no criticism at all are numb in the brain. His actions got him thrown off the team-what's to criticize? ::) Oh, and i hope he comes back because he is a very talented player which i don't believe anyone disputes.

Marillac

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2013, 02:08:54 PM »
Harrison is the man on this team.  I am not too worried about who will start alongside Harrison.  I wouldn't be surprised if coach offered Jordan a starting spot--I know I would have.  The kid will almost certainly be good enough to play at least 15 mpg, and I think it does wonders for the confidence of young kids to head into the game prep, shoot arounds, and warmups knowing they will start. 

I am not ready to throw dirt on either Branch or Greene.  In Greene's case, it is very valuable to bring back a kid that played so many minutes in a primary role his first two years.  Ten pounds of muscle and an improved jumper would make Greeene one of the best third guards around.  For Branch, we have not seen enough of him.  I like what I saw at times and I think he plays well with Harrison.  Again, more muscle and an offseason of improvement and he could come back a much different player.

I also really love Balamou's potential.  Very nice backcourt...time to run and gun. 

ras

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
I hope he does come back as I am a Harrison fan unlike the numerous numbskulls who have criticized him for the past 2 years. There is obviously a problem though and IMO he won't be back.
OK with the skull being numb. Those who maintain Harrison deserved no criticism at all are numb in the brain. His actions got him thrown off the team-what's to criticize? ::) Oh, and i hope he comes back because he is a very talented player which i don't believe anyone disputes.
I hope DLO returns but w our luck now that we re all high on Jordens decision, we ll probably hear DLO isn't returning so our bubble could be burst again,

Poison

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2013, 02:13:38 PM »
How good is Sanchez? I don't want to hear about him starting on Utah. That is just crazy. How good is he really?

Star? All League? Starter? Role player?

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2013, 02:25:23 PM »
if jordan comes, once league play begins, starters will be harrison SG and jordan PG.

greene will be first off the bench. AND i believe Greene, will be much better next year if he's exclusively used as a SG. he showed great progress when harrison wasn't around.

branch, while the only true PG on the team, lacks an offensive game. we can't suffer through dry spells anymore moving forward.

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2013, 02:40:02 PM »
How good is Sanchez? I don't want to hear about him starting on Utah. That is just crazy. How good is he really?

Star? All League? Starter? Role player?

I've said it before. Think Brownlee with 2 more inches.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

sju89tr

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2013, 02:41:54 PM »
Next years roster:

Jordan - Branch
DLo - Greene
Pointer - Hooper - Bourgualt
Jakarr - Orlando
Obekpa - GG

with Jones and Balamou redshirting

Legit 10-11 man rotation and two deep everywhere. Im excited for next year. Hopefully everything works out good. :)

Also, I think DLo is likely coming back. No reason to not put him on the list of possibilities for starting backcourt.

That is exactly what I want the roster to look like

I just think we lose either Gift or Jones

sju89tr

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2013, 02:45:35 PM »
I don't want to jinx things but assume everyone stays and we get Jordan

I think minutes will be distributed like this

Sanchez 25 Obekpa 20
Sampson 30 Gift 10-15
Pointer 30 Hooper 10
Dee 30 Greene 20-25
Branch 20-25 Jordan 20-25

Yes I went over 200 but some nights players get more or less

Right now no room for Jones Felix and Marco

If we lose Gift then Jones can get his minutes

Marco will need to battle Max for minutes

Felix should consider a red shirt 

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2013, 02:53:20 PM »

Sanchez 25 Obekpa 20
Sampson 30 Gift 10-15
Pointer 30 Hooper 10
Dee 30 Greene 20-25

i think it's a no brainer for Felix to redshirt.

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2013, 02:59:10 PM »

Sanchez 25 Obekpa 20
Sampson 30 Gift 10-15
Pointer 30 Hooper 10
Dee 30 Greene 20-25

Can't see Dom getting 30 minutes next year for 3 reasons. 1 addition of Sanchez means some time at sf for JaKarr. 2 if rysheed comes on boards well see more 3 guard lineups. And 3 Dom has a tendency to get into foul trouble.   

sju89tr

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2013, 03:02:27 PM »

Sanchez 25 Obekpa 20
Sampson 30 Gift 10-15
Pointer 30 Hooper 10
Dee 30 Greene 20-25

Can't see Dom getting 30 minutes next year for 3 reasons. 1 addition of Sanchez means some time at sf for JaKarr. 2 if rysheed comes on boards well see more 3 guard lineups. And 3 Dom has a tendency to get into foul trouble.

I personally would think 25 minutes but I could see when he is not on the floor a lineup of Obekpa Sanchez Sampson Dee and Jordan which could be pretty dangerous on both ends.   

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2013, 03:15:26 PM »

Sanchez 25 Obekpa 20
Sampson 30 Gift 10-15
Pointer 30 Hooper 10
Dee 30 Greene 20-25

I personally would think 25 minutes but I could see when he is not on the floor a lineup of Obekpa Sanchez Sampson Dee and Jordan which could be pretty dangerous on both ends.   

Thinking the same thing. Plus Jordan has te size and athleticism to easily compete at the 3.

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2013, 03:15:44 PM »
Since many of you have opined that PG4's production will go up with decreased minutes it stands to reason that if you extrapolate that theory to it's full extent his maximum production will come with 0 minutes.  :)  something by the way that I am not advocating.

bk8664

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2013, 03:25:16 PM »
There is a lot of talent on this team, and players will need to adjust down some of their expectations of playing virtually the whole game.  I hope everyone buys into the concept of playing for the team, because it could be a very good team. 

Playing a whole game for any individual player is bad for their individual offensive efficiency, and is bad for our defense as a whole.   I really hope we run a lot of press defenses this coming year.  If there is ever a year for it, it's 2013-2014, as we have the man-power and athleticism for it.

If everyone runs on full cylinders and contributes as planned, and if no-one is injured (a big "if"), this is what I would like to see next year:

Sanchez   25
Obekpa   20

Sampson   27
Gift   6

Pointer   22
Hooper   6

Harrison   25
Greene   20

Jordan   27
Branch   22

Borgault   0- It's tough to put him at zero, but I think others will limit his playing time.  I presume he will get playing time if some players ahead of him have to sit because of injuries.

Total:   200

Jones   red-shirt
Balamou   red-shirt

Even though he's a freshman, I expect Jordan to compete for the most minutes per game.  He seems to be an absolute animal with the ball in his hands.  He'll create foul shots for himself and create easy buckets for others.   His jump shot seems pretty good.

I doubt the minutes I posted above will actually happen, as we have to have expectations that at least one of our players twists an ankle or something like that for period of time.   So, presuming at least one player twists an ankle, others will see a bit more playing time than the the #'s stated above.

I'm looking forward to next season.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:27:19 PM by bk8664 »

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2013, 03:31:49 PM »
Jordan and Harrison...

Jordan Harrison Branch as a 3 guard combo would be nice against teams that like to press.

Poison

« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2013, 03:32:23 PM »
Since many of you have opined that PG4's production will go up with decreased minutes it stands to reason that if you extrapolate that theory to it's full extent his maximum production will come with 0 minutes.  :)  something by the way that I am not advocating.

I think a lot of the time when he can't create offense, Greene just forces up jumpers. If he's sitting for those periods, his numbers will go up in terms of efficiency. He won't be asked to create those shots next season. (hopefully)

This was a hard offense to run. Especially w out Harrison. Zones could pack it in. We were powerless. This team could add Hooper, Harrison, Jordan and Sanchez. 4 guys that could help us spread out that zone.

Would be great, but it's gotta happen first.

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2013, 03:42:50 PM »
Sanchez 28 mpg
Sampson 28 mpg
Obepka 24 mpg
Pointer 27 mpg
Greene 32 mpg
Jordan 28 mpg
Branch 20 mpg
GG 10 mpg
Marco Hooper 2 mpg
Lipscomb 1mpg
Felix and Jones Redshirt

Poison

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2013, 03:52:25 PM »
Sanchez 28 mpg
Sampson 28 mpg
Obepka 24 mpg
Pointer 27 mpg
Greene 32 mpg
Jordan 28 mpg
Branch 20 mpg
GG 10 mpg
Marco Hooper 2 mpg
Lipscomb 1mpg
Felix and Jones Redshirt

I think if anyone redshirts it should be Jones. He have a ton of guys who can play the 3. He needs to learn how to play the 4 with his strength. It seems like he uses none of it. Balamou can be a great asset off the bench probably as soon as next year. He's a good defender. We'll need guys like that.