Johnnies or Red Storm

• 72 replies

ras

Re: Johnnies or Red Storm
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »
Colgate is called the Red Raiders, not a bad nickname.

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2013, 12:38:04 PM »
I'll bet the students would vote probably over 80% in favor of Red Storm.
I found this blurb from the schools athletic website interesting.  I didn't know that we were the Johnnies before we became the Redmen.  I still find it a stupid name.

http://www.redstormsports.com/genrel/092909aad.html

Naming of Johnny Thunderbird

Once the new Red Storm Thunderbird mascot was unveiled, the St. John's Marketing Department hosted a week-long St. John's student vote to name it. One has been officially named "Johnny the Thunderbird," paying tribute to three eras of what is more than a century-old athletics tradition.

The student-chosen name "Johnny" is, in fact, a reference to the first days of St. John's athletics. At the turn of the century during the early years of intercollegiate competition, St. John's teams were actually known as the "Johnnies." It wasn't until the 1920s that "Redmen" was first used and that came about when a reporter used the term after the football team took the field clad in totally red uniforms.

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2013, 12:54:40 PM »
Mascots is hella lame except tithe biddies who luv Elmo etc al.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2013, 02:04:23 PM »
you mean Tom Clancy's book? because I think what you might be referring to is the Red Army.

No, but the book does mention Redstorm... All kidding aside I do not like Red Storm not that crazy about Johnnies and would prefer no nickname. Johnny Thunderbird is somewhat clever and he can stay since he actually links all the history together.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2013, 02:29:11 PM »
C'mon now....

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2013, 08:49:27 AM »
you mean Tom Clancy's book? because I think what you might be referring to is the Red Army.

No, but the book does mention Redstorm... All kidding aside I do not like Red Storm not that crazy about Johnnies and would prefer no nickname. Johnny Thunderbird is somewhat clever and he can stay since he actually links all the history together.

to my point, the book is a fictional novel, RedStorm having nothing to do with the Red Army. I think the RedStorm is great, and far better than the Johnnies. The constant rebrand just causes more confusion and kills the brand awareness by people who are not huge fans like us. Stick with something once and for all!!

nudginator59

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2013, 10:44:44 PM »
Below is a link from Lou Dobbs show in 2008 about the Chinese building their military the piece is called "Red Storm rising". Redstorm Rising (January 2, 2008)
Cougar O' Malley

nudginator59

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2013, 10:49:03 PM »
https://www.google.com/search?q=red+storm+communist&client=safari&hl=en&source=univ&tbm=vid&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=VXnbUd_gNcWqqgHgm4GQCw&ved=0CDkQqwQ... My apologies here it is...There is actually another one from a Catholic website I can bring up as well....Honestly I  just doing this tongue and cheeck because I don't like the name.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2013, 11:24:26 AM »
   I'm a old alum so, Redmen ,always is the only nickname i can seriously value..I could reluctantly go for "Reds," or,my own creation, "RED STOCKS," alluding to our financial nearness to Wall Street..not serious.

Or, Red Crests.. Crests taken from the Hillcrest location of the campus..

I like Johnnies but, only as a secondary recognition

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2013, 04:43:22 PM »
Just drop the bird, add an "s" and officially make the mascot the late great NY rock icon".  :angel:

« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2013, 04:55:27 PM »
Dont think the school wanna be associate wit the satanics, carm.

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2013, 04:59:01 PM »

Valid point Choz.

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2013, 08:01:28 PM »
I did not realize Johnny Thunders was a satanist, or are all punk rockers satanists?  I never felt like a satanist, believing in Satan is as ridiculous as believing in god.  ;)

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2013, 09:29:45 PM »

Got me thinkin the school probably don't wanna be associate wit the drag queens, either.

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2013, 12:33:04 AM »

Got me thinkin the school probably don't wanna be associate wit the drag queens, either.

They only got half way there Carmine.  Was a big David Johansen fan in college and when I first moved to the city.  Was working at the Bottom Line when he used to hang out and was just starting his Buster Poindexter persona.  Never really got that one, though he was good in Scrooged.  ;)

LJSA

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2013, 12:40:13 AM »
Wow, memories. I do remember seeing Buster Poindexter's name on the marquee there often.

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2013, 01:19:36 AM »
1. Red (Men)
2. Red Storm
3. Johnnies (St. John's Minnesota's name)
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2013, 01:50:34 AM »
1. Red (Men)
2. Red Storm

Good point.  How can we have the exact same name as another school---even if they are DIII

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2013, 08:18:07 AM »
1. Red (Men)
2. Red Storm

Good point.  How can we have the exact same name as another school---even if they are DIII

They also own the website: GoJohnnies.com, tell me that wont cause a lot of confusion.

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2013, 08:28:56 AM »
Not that complicated.
Its like when Mo Brown and Derek Brown was on the same team. All you do is put the initial on the back of the jersey.
#solved