Johnnies or Red Storm

• 72 replies
Johnnies or Red Storm
« on: July 02, 2013, 01:16:41 AM »
The recent survey pretty clearly defines that the two nicknames they're considering are Johnnies and Red Storm.  Like the logo thread, it'll be interesting to see what the consensus is among a broad group of fans such as ourselves.

Poison

Re: Johnnies or Red Storm
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 01:53:07 AM »
What the Hell is a Red Storm? It's a completely meaningless name. I despise it.

Moose

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 02:16:53 AM »

Is there anything you don't despise about the program
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 02:22:56 AM »

No offense, but if you like that name, it's because you don't know any better.

MCNPA

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 02:24:59 AM »
As I said in another thread.  I'd prefer if we just dropped the "Red" from "Red Storm" and just went with "Storm".  It's a much cleaner name without requiring explanation.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 02:30:12 AM »
As I said in another thread.  I'd prefer if we just dropped the "Red" from "Red Storm" and just went with "Storm".  It's a much cleaner name without requiring explanation.

One of the reasons we don't sell much merchandise is because our name is so dumb. They picked it having no idea what it meant. Someone in the room must have thought it sounded provocative.

At this point, they have had it for over 20 years. It's who they are. It's their job to define it. Too bad they aren't smart enough to do it.

Moose

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 02:42:31 AM »

That wasn't what I asked.
The choice is Red Storm or Johnnies. Not Red. Not Redmen. Not Red Wings or Red Devils.

I am on record saying Johnnies is not a good primary name. I also think Red Storm has been poorly marketed. It's a unique name where it's not a bird dog or whatever other animal most of the country uses. In my world we stay as Red Storm but use Johnnies like Gonzaga uses Zags
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 02:51:49 AM »
Agree with most of Moose's suggestions.  Still think we should just go with St. John's Storm and "Johnnies" as secondary.  Lots of great logos that can use storms, lightning bolts, tornadoes and the like.  Most of the negative reaction to "Red Storm" is brought about by confusion as to what a Red Storm is.  By using just "Storm" we can separate a little bit from the goofiness and confusion that seems to be evoked currently.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:53:51 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 05:01:08 AM »

I do know better. That's why I like it. It's better than that stupid Johnnies, which I despise, and that boring old Redmen.

LJSA

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 07:01:58 AM »
I hope we aren't changing storm name as a result of recent calamitous weather.

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 07:10:19 AM »
I like Red Wings

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 08:09:19 AM »
I like Red Wings
i agree...but not for basketball.

red storm would be okay if we actually won something.
right now, the negativity is mainly because it represents the basketball mediocrity we suffered through since we adopted that name.

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 08:23:18 AM »
like someone said on the other board, Johnnies is like the Bonnies which is horrible, plus St. John's Minnesotta are the Johnnies, and their website is gojohnnies.com, talk about driving traffic to their site and causing confusion. Its good as a nickname but not as a primary mascot.

I like Redstorm, its original, it stands out, and it has power behind it.

Changing it to red its like drawing comparisons to syracuse orange, and again, not a mascot.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 08:23:34 AM »

I do know better. That's why I like it. It's better than that stupid Johnnies, which I despise, and that boring old Redmen.

Boring old Redmen? You mean our name? Our real name?

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 08:25:41 AM »

Changing it to red its like drawing comparisons to syracuse orange, and again, not a mascot.

Perhaps we could copy them even more and change our mascot to an apple.  ;)

Poison

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 08:46:59 AM »

Perhaps we could copy them even more and change our mascot to an apple.  ;)

The bigger problem w the mascot isn't its identity, it's that they can't figure out what it is. I don't agree with the original name change outside of losing the Indian, because I find it disrespectful.

The Orange is pretty dumb, too. Oranges come from Florida. However, they stuck with it, and updated it the right way. No one really cared when they stopped becoming the Orangemen. People call them the Orange and the Orangemen.

But there have been great promotional campaigns for Otto. Remember ESPN w Charlie Steiner? Remember why?

Personally I call them my Johnnies. Not the f'n Red Storm. Wear that out in public, and let me know how many people ask you what's that?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 08:49:32 AM by Poison »

derk

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 09:03:01 AM »
Funny thing is no matter what we wind up with, most of the announcers at some point in the game will call us the Johnnies. Winner by default.

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 10:29:37 AM »
the announcers will call it whatever they want, that is the purpose of a nickname!!

I will refuse to wear anything that says the johnnies that is horrible as a mascot or team name. The RedStorm already has 20 years behind it and people know what it is, lets not mess with it if we don't have to, and Johnny Thunderbird is a pretty cool mascot in my opinion and pays homage to Redmen for all you geriatrics.

The Johnnies is taken and it is not original at all... GOJohnnies.com see what you find. I rest my case

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 11:13:15 AM »
Redo this survey and add Redmen.  Lets see what the JJ fan base thinks.

If Johnnies wins look into using the Chuck Berry classic 'Go Johnny Go' as a musical back up [with some lyrics updates]

derk

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 11:17:53 AM »
the announcers will call it whatever they want, that is the purpose of a nickname!!

I will refuse to wear anything that says the johnnies that is horrible as a mascot or team name. The RedStorm already has 20 years behind it and people know what it is, lets not mess with it if we don't have to, and Johnny Thunderbird is a pretty cool mascot in my opinion and pays homage to Redmen for all you geriatrics.

The Johnnies is taken and it is not original at all... GOJohnnies.com see what you find. I rest my case

No they will call us Johnnies because that's how most people know us and it rolls off the tongue nicely.