Current players and recruits

• 64 replies

TONYD3

Re: Current players and recruits
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 12:36:53 PM »
not trying to be a pain in the ass, just dont see how both felix and max get minutes next year. harrison is going to play 30 plus, pointer and jordan will play starters minutes. Phil is going to play atleast 20.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 12:48:05 PM »
not trying to be a pain in the ass, just dont see how both felix and max get minutes next year. harrison is going to play 30 plus, pointer and jordan will play starters minutes. Phil is going to play atleast 20.

Because unless you're given a good reason not to, you should zone St.John's. Guard us like SU does, and it's over. Hooper is a weapon for that defense, and w'ere going to see it until we prove that we can beat it. I love Pointer, and I like Branch, and even Greene a little, but against the zone, you need shooters, and he's a shooter.

You're right, you never know. He hasn't played in a REAL game yet, but seriously, isn't now the time to really get your hopes up? It's not like there's any other team to follow in NY.

desco80

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 01:00:59 PM »
It's not like there's any other team to follow in NY.

When was the last time St Johns hoops was the bright spot in the NY sports scene?

Moose

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 01:05:16 PM »

When was the last time St Johns hoops was the bright spot in the NY sports scene?

I'd say Lavin's first year.  When SJU is good people recognize it.  I had people who never really follow college hoops that closely asking my questions knowing I went to SJU.  Granted I was a baby during the mid 80's heyday and I'm sure it was magnified even more but our last trip to the tournament we were definitely getting interest around town.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2013, 01:30:59 PM »

I'd say Lavin's first year.  When SJU is good people recognize it.  I had people who never really follow college hoops that closely asking my questions knowing I went to SJU.  Granted I was a baby during the mid 80's heyday and I'm sure it was magnified even more but our last trip to the tournament we were definitely getting interest around town.

You are right.  I had buddies who wanted to go to the Duke and Pitt games that I couldn't beg to come with me to a game a year before. 
But didn't the Knicks trade for Melo that year?    And the Jets were in the afc championship.
This year the football teams look like crap, I think the Knicks will be in the tank, the nets will be good till one of the new guys gets hurt (which could be at any moment), and I dont follow hockey enough to know if any of those teams will make noise... but I could see this being a winter where st johns is the best game in town. 
I agree with you though, there was buzz and talk around town Lavin's first season.

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2013, 03:33:18 PM »

When Prince Akeem was at the Garden yelling "In the Face!!  In the Face!!"

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2013, 04:03:01 PM »
NY most popular teams:
1. Giants
2. Yankees
3. Knicks
4. Jets
5. Rangers
6. Mets
7. Islanders
8. Devils
9. Liberty
10. SJU
Nice run in tourney probably gets us to 7 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 04:04:29 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2013, 04:08:52 PM »
Where is Canada's team?

NY most popular teams:
1. Giants
2. Yankees
3. Knicks
4. Jets
5. Rangers
6. Mets
7. Islanders
8. Devils
9. Liberty
10. SJU

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 04:14:32 PM »
Did not include them or the Bills but if you wanted to go by actual fans that live in NYC of the teams, the following would also be ahead of the Johnnies:
Cuse
Duke
Gtown
Villanova
Dallas Cowboys
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 04:15:20 PM by we are sju »

desco80

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 04:36:10 PM »
I didn't ask who had the most fans.   The Giants and Mets have millions of fans in the tri-state, but nobody is going to be talking about them this winter.   And I think the Knicks could be in the same boat.

Poison

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2013, 05:12:32 PM »
NY most popular teams:
1. Giants
2. Yankees
3. Knicks
4. Jets
5. Rangers
6. Mets
7. Islanders
8. Devils
9. Liberty
10. SJU

I love the Giants, but no team is the Yankees. This is horrible season for them and they almost made the playoffs.
They haven't had a losing season in over 20 years.

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2013, 05:51:26 PM »
Boo, did you erase that post because you realized that there is no way the Knicks are bigger than the Yankees?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

LoganK

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 05:55:59 PM »
Awww, Boo I was about to quote you and say Amen (regarding the amount of Yankee front-runners)

LoganK

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 05:57:12 PM »
I have a test that I give to alleged Yankee fans where I ask them to name 7 active members of the team.  Boy was that fun early this year with the makeshift lineup and no superstars.  Only a few passed.

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 06:01:56 PM »
I have a test that I give to alleged Yankee fans where I ask them to name 7 active members of the team.  Boy was that fun early this year with the makeshift lineup and no superstars.  Only a few passed.

Doesn't that show how big the team is when they can have fans out there who don't even know who the players are?  And that is baseball in general, plenty of people who where hats of a MLB team can't name their third starter in the rotation or their 7 8 9 hitters.  It's not a big name sport.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 06:13:12 PM »
Rangers, Knicks, Nets, Giants, Jets will all be talked about more than STJ hoops this winter..

Come springtime... Remove the Giants and Knicks. Unless STJ makes a serious run in the tourney...( elite 8)  Rangers, Knicks, Nets will still be more discussed...

Moose

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2013, 06:16:05 PM »
NY most popular teams:
1. Giants
2. Yankees
3. Knicks
4. Jets
5. Rangers
6. Mets
7. Islanders
8. Devils
9. Liberty
10. SJU

Liberty?
Come on bro

boo3

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2013, 06:17:30 PM »
Boo, did you erase that post because you realized that there is no way the Knicks are bigger than the Yankees?

I erased it because that wasn't really the point of the discussion, or so I thought.

NY is a baseball town.  So the Yanks are bigger.  Even so, no one shows up to their games anymore because they had a bad season.  Tells you all you need to know about that fanbase.  I equate Yankee fans with Cowboys fans...  Popular team to root for.. At least Cowboy fans still root when their team stinks..

If , by some miracle , the Mets were good again. they would be more popular.  We saw it in the mid to late 80s..  Much bigger than the Yanks.

I do believe that the Knicks are a close , close second..

boo3

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2013, 06:18:15 PM »
NY most popular teams:
1. Giants
2. Yankees
3. Knicks
4. Jets
5. Rangers
6. Mets
7. Islanders
8. Devils
9. Liberty
10. SJU

Liberty?
Come on bro

Can't have a post with out some sort of dig at STJ...

Moose

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2013, 06:18:37 PM »
NY most popular teams:
1. Giants
2. Yankees
3. Knicks
4. Jets
5. Rangers
6. Mets
7. Islanders
8. Devils
9. Liberty
10. SJU

Liberty?
Come on bro

Can't have a post with out some sort of dig at STJ...

Mid-season form.