Re: Xavier Predictions
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 01:48:56 PM »
Team in Queens - 75
Queen City Team - 68

Welcome to the BE.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 02:07:45 PM »
The current team is more talented then the team that went into Cameron and beat Duke. The 90's version seemed to play smart and not make mistakes that this team does. Still we are not playing Duke, we are playing Xavier. We have more talent and depth. Coach figures out how to use his depth, we close out on shooters, we play well in the 1st half and we win 82-75.

No way is this team more than talented than that one. We have no one at the Barkley, Bootsy, Lavor or Artest level. Jordan has a lot of potential but he's not EB. Ron Artest would eat Jakarr alive.

paultzman

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 02:08:50 PM »
The current team is more talented then the team that went into Cameron and beat Duke. The 90's version seemed to play smart and not make mistakes that this team does. Still we are not playing Duke, we are playing Xavier. We have more talent and depth. Coach figures out how to use his depth, we close out on shooters, we play well in the 1st half and we win 82-75.

No way is this team more than talented than that one. We have no one at the Barkley, Bootsy, Lavor or Artest level. Jordan has a lot of potential but he's not EB. Ron Artest would eat Jakarr alive.

+1

LJSA

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 02:09:22 PM »
71-66 Xavier

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 02:16:24 PM »
Am i the only that cringes every time I see Hooper head to the scorers table?

SJU 69, Xavier - 62, Game is tight the whole way, ton's of lead changes, D hit's a big shot to put us up 2 possesions, FT's ensue.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:24:50 PM by chronicbucks »

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 02:21:21 PM »
My biggest concern with this team is our ability to sustain intensity...Irrespective of outside shooting challenges, I believe sustained intensity and getting entire team involved will be the deciding factors...

If we deliver on these, we win

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2013, 02:25:39 PM »

Don't think you can say no one. I would argue that D'Angelo would have a place on any team in SJU history.

desco80

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 02:32:58 PM »

Don't think you can say no one. I would argue that D'Angelo would have a place on any team in SJU history.

I agree.   D'angelo is a better version of Bootsy.   
But overall that was a better team. 
This team has a ton of potential though.  I just hope they put it all together at some point in time.   

Also, fwiw..
SJU 77
XU 69
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:35:58 PM by desco80 »

TONYD3

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 02:36:29 PM »
Arrest wasn't on that team. That team played 6 guys. Heath orvis was the 7th man. That was my favorite team in any sport . This team has more quality players .
Cameron is a tough place to play, mainly because they have mcdonalds all Americans , not because they have geeks screaming

MCNPA

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 03:32:40 PM »
Fwiw, our outside shooting is mid-pack Big East this year thus far, not bottom like usual.  We aren't gunners, but haven't been horrible from the outside for the most part.

CC

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 03:38:13 PM »

Artest wasn't on the team that won @ Duke .

paultzman

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 03:43:40 PM »

Artest wasn't on the team that won @ Duke .

February 26, 2000 - St. John's 83, Duke 82

Everyone dreams for a shot at taking down the vaunted Blue Devils on their home court. In the 2000 season, the Red Storm made that dream a reality. It was the perfect encore to the previous year's meeting that had gone down to the wire. Once again, it was Bootsy Thornton who led the Johnnies with a 22-point night over a Duke team that eventually went on to lose in the Sweet 16. St. John's had been 11.5-point underdogs entering the game against stars like Jason Williams, Shane Battier, and Carlos Boozer. The epic game has stood for twelve years as the last time Duke lost to a non-conference opponent at Cameron. Roster;

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/st-johns-ny/2000.html
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 03:47:51 PM by paultzman »

TONYD3

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 04:18:32 PM »
Don't know why but I always liked Donald Emanuel

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2013, 04:28:08 PM »
Don't know why but I always liked Donald Emanuel

+1, he is a little like Sanchez, a big guy who can do a little bit of everything. I seem to remember him hitting some big 3's for us in games.

Poison

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2013, 04:48:08 PM »

This team has a ton of potential though.  I just hope they put it all together at some point in time.   

Also, fwiw..
SJU 77
XU 69

D'Angelo is nowhere near as good as Bootsy. Bootsy did everything well. Harrison needs to step up against top 25 teams before he gets mentioned in Bootsy's category. Bootsy was the MVP of the BE tournament. He's one of the best players we've ever had.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 04:50:58 PM by Poison »

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »
I am one of the few Harrison backers on this board and I would put Harrison behind Bootsy, Hatten and Hardy.

Poison

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2013, 04:55:01 PM »
I am one of the few Harrison backers on this board and I would put Harrison behind Bootsy, Hatten and Hardy.

I am huge Harrison fan, too. If anything, he's much closer to Hardy than Hatten and Bootsy. Since Lou retired, IMO, it's in this order: Artest, Hatten, Bootsy, Barkley, Postell, Brownlee and then Harrison.

Poison

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2013, 04:58:19 PM »
Am i the only that cringes every time I see Hooper head to the scorers table?

SJU 69, Xavier - 62, Game is tight the whole way, ton's of lead changes, D hit's a big shot to put us up 2 possesions, FT's ensue.

No, he's doesn't get after it. He does one thing. He waits for 4 guys to get him a look at the basket. Does he crash the glass? No. Does he ever look to create a shot for another player? No. Does he follow his own shot? I haven't seen him do it once. I'd replace him Marco. At least he tries to do more than chuck.

Tha Kid

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2013, 05:04:27 PM »

Also, fwiw..
SJU 77
XU 69

Better version of Bootsy???????  How quickly we forget....Bootsy not only could fill it up, but rebounded extremely well for a 6'4 guard, and, was VERY good at backing a smaller guard down and taking him to school from the post. 

On top of that, Bootsy shot 50% from the field and 37% from 3 for his career.  D'Angelo has never shot above 42.4% from the field (his frosh year), and 36.2% from 3 (this year.  So D'Angelo's best year wasn't even good as Bootsy's 2 year average thus far.....

"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2013, 05:09:52 PM »

I am huge Harrison fan, too. If anything, he's much closer to Hardy than Hatten and Bootsy. Since Lou retired, IMO, it's in this order: Artest, Hatten, Bootsy, Barkley, Postell, Brownlee and then Harrison.

Interesting....I think you have to have DJ Kennedy and Hardy ahead of Brownlee and Harrison.  You are also conveniently forgetting the Brian Mahoney years, and while I know you hate Mahoney and everyone from those teams, Felipe and Zendon are both above Postell at the worst on that list, and arguably could be 2 and 3 behind Artest and ahead of Hatten.  Personally I'd go for my own reasons in each case not necessarily just based on sheer performance or team success but a combo of all factors:

Artest, Hatten, Bootsy, Barkley, Felipe, Zendon, Postell, DJ, Hardy, Omar Cook.

Thinking about it I actually have a very hard time having Cook on that list instead of Ty Grant and Anthony Glover, 2 guys I would also have Harrison behind still (he can obviously move up this list with great performance and NCAA trip(s), but I'll leave my first impression top 10 as is.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:12:46 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"