1/11 vs Depaul

• 107 replies

HKD

Re: 1/11 vs Depaul
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2020, 05:33:12 PM »
Not every post expressing skepticism about the long term prospects of SJ basketball generally or Anderson specifically - both of which skepticisms I share - is an endorsement of Mullin, who deserves some credit for what he achieved and some criticism for what he didn't. If his name was added to the list of the words that are forbidden here discourse would improve immeasurably, because in the main the only people who mention him are the people who have animus toward him.

I think there are serious questions about Anderson's prospects moving forward,  specifically the shortcomings inherent in his fugazi system and his approach to recruiting. Those doubts have nothing to do with Mullin, about whom I think only about when his name is mentioned here by those who can't go 20 minutes without shrieking out his name like demented Tourette's patients.

There are def legit questions.... but what he runs is not a "Fugazi system".  Now whether or not he can get the athletes to run it is another questions. In my opinion it's the type of system you have to run to win when you are not going end up with a team of 4/5 stars who can just win on talent alone.  As a Maryland grad who gets to watch a team full of talent lose to lesser teams on the regular, it's kind of fun to watch.

Marillac

« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2020, 10:41:10 PM »
DePaul was clearly the more talented team so the win is nothing to sneeze at. I am confident they return the favor at home by low double-digits.

I feel bad for them as they remind me of our program and how hard it is for teams to learn to win in just one year of being good.

I don’t know Charlie Moore’s situation but I hope he has one more year for their sake so they can put something together.

« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2020, 01:51:00 AM »
CAN WE STOP TALKING ABOUT MULLIN!
You write in bold caps "CAN WE STOP TALKING ABOUT MULLIN!" then immediately commence talking about Mullin. Well played.
"Yes he took us to a tourney and got better each year and attendance sky rocketed. He came in with nothing here and turned it around." 
Next line:
"but he also was not a good coach and was lazy and deserved all the criticism a Coach gets."
You've made incongruous statements. Contradict yourself much?
If he was any other Coach and not the poster boy and the legend of St. Johns people would not defend him as much as they do.
Can't speak for the board but that's certainly why I do it. He's earned it and we're on a St. John's fan site for g*ds sake. 
[/quote]

Foad

« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2020, 04:12:51 PM »
There are def legit questions.... but what he runs is not a "Fugazi system".  Now whether or not he can get the athletes to run it is another questions. In my opinion it's the type of system you have to run to win when you are not going end up with a team of 4/5 stars who can just win on talent alone.  As a Maryland grad who gets to watch a team full of talent lose to lesser teams on the regular, it's kind of fun to watch.

It's fugazi by my definition of fugazi - and "when I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less" - meaning gimmicky. And by gimmicky I mean the type of system you have to run to win when you are not going end up with a team of 4/5 stars who can just win on talent alone. What we're seeing isn't Pete Carill or John Beilein and neither is it Tony Bennett. It's not even Mel Torme. It's a one trick system that was figured out by coaches in the SEC - and there's not a lot of rocket scientists in the SEC coaching ranks - two thirds of the time.

If all you had to do to compete on a national level was recruit three star recruits and run a full court press more people would do it. And yet no one does. Instead various hall of fame coaches who are a lot more successful than Anderson - who I can't call CTC anymore because that appellation has been usurped - routinely commit felonies to garner as many four and five star recruits as they can that can excel in various variations of traditional basketball systems.

« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2020, 06:59:23 AM »
who I can't call CTC anymore because that appellation has been usurped 
I'll give it back if you would like. It's your creation.

TONYD3

« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2020, 11:09:09 AM »
It's fugazi by my definition of fugazi - and "when I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less" - meaning gimmicky. And by gimmicky I mean the type of system you have to run to win when you are not going end up with a team of 4/5 stars who can just win on talent alone. What we're seeing isn't Pete Carill or John Beilein and neither is it Tony Bennett. It's not even Mel Torme. It's a one trick system that was figured out by coaches in the SEC - and there's not a lot of rocket scientists in the SEC coaching ranks - two thirds of the time.

If all you had to do to compete on a national level was recruit three star recruits and run a full court press more people would do it. And yet no one does. Instead various hall of fame coaches who are a lot more successful than Anderson - who I can't call CTC anymore because that appellation has been usurped - routinely commit felonies to garner as many four and five star recruits as they can that can excel in various variations of traditional basketball systems.
Please explain how the SEC coaches figured out Mike Anderson’s system. In his last 6 years he was 16 games over .500.  He had 1 losing season in that span going 8-10.
Coach Mullin (who had no system) best season was 8-10. Was coach Mullin fugazi?

Foad

« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2020, 11:45:48 AM »
Please explain how they make potted meats. Some people call it spam I call it potted meats. Hmm mmm

TONYD3

« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2020, 01:03:37 PM »

Much better. Stay away from talking basketball. It’s not for you. Foad is fugazi.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 01:07:13 PM by TONYD3 »