Game #16: @Georgetown

• 190 replies
Re: Game #16: @Georgetown
« Reply #180 on: January 11, 2020, 04:45:39 PM »
Dave I'm far from a technical hoops expert so won't dive into what we "run" or don't "run".  We have coaches who are experienced and seem to be well though of in the basketball community, whether that be Anderson, Demeo, Van, etc.  So I have to think they know how to coach offense to some degree and attribute the struggles on that end to the lack of PG play and overall lack of offensive skill on what this staff inherited. 

Last year we were loaded with offensive talent.  We did seem to have some nice in-bounds plays and designs.  On offense, it frequently ended with a pick and roll up top and someone forcing a shot to the basket or throwing up a 3.  So I'm not sure how much the prior staff ran either, aside from that backdoor alley-oop we tried to run every game and stopped be successful once teams figured it out, and the occasional ISO for Heron or 2-man with Clark where we overloaded the opposite side.

While mostly we try and get a lot of transition offense with turnovers from defense in the half court we run 4 out motion with a lot of weave action.

It's not complex which is why I think conference play is going to be tough because teams will figure out the press and the offense is not a hard scout. However personnel wise we have good players to run this offense because we have guys who are tough to cover off the bounce. I think when we go small its most effective.

As far as not running anything pay attention to Rutherford or Dunn. It's seldom to see them call out offensive sets. Saw a little action to early in first half but it was mostly hand offs to get Mustapha or LJ the ball which I'm cool with. This was one of first games there was real effort to make that happen. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #181 on: January 11, 2020, 04:48:25 PM »
I expect a no comment from Dave on that one. Unless he chooses to lie.

Tony, not really sure why you feel the need or would make a comment like this. Not sure what I've ever done in 10+ years to ever warrant that.

I'm never dismissive to you or anyone else on the board whenever someone shares their opinions.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

TONYD3

« Reply #182 on: January 11, 2020, 07:33:02 PM »
Tony, not really sure why you feel the need or would make a comment like this. Not sure what I've ever done in 10+ years to ever warrant that.

I'm never dismissive to you or anyone else on the board whenever someone shares their opinions.
You are not a regular poster. You have inside knowledge. You have been way tougher on our new staff. And looked the other way on our previous staff.
You are also the owner of the board and allowed a few to behave in a disgraceful manner. I got your warning message. I honored it.  It seems to be a bunch of bull shxt.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 07:48:08 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #183 on: January 12, 2020, 12:01:51 AM »
Let’s see where they end up after the season.
Coaching could be a factor in where they end up after the season, right?

« Reply #184 on: January 12, 2020, 12:11:51 AM »
If the hero stayed, who was going to recruit?
No Idea.  I don't follow recruiting.

« Reply #185 on: January 12, 2020, 12:19:04 AM »
No Idea.  I don't follow recruiting.
Yeah why follow the life blood of all college programs. Your idol didn't follow it either which led to his downfall.

« Reply #186 on: January 12, 2020, 10:54:28 PM »
Yeah why follow the life blood of all college programs. Your idol didn't follow it either which led to his downfall.
He's not my idol. He's OUR idol.

« Reply #187 on: January 13, 2020, 02:11:20 AM »
He's not my idol. He's OUR idol.
Not an idol as coach of St. John's but he was idle as coach of St. John's.

« Reply #188 on: January 13, 2020, 11:17:19 AM »
Not an idol as coach of St. John's but he was idle as coach of St. John's.
He wasn't too idle to dance.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 12:01:25 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #189 on: January 13, 2020, 05:43:04 PM »
He wasn't too idle to dance.
Problem is he danced like Elaine on Seinfeld.

« Reply #190 on: January 14, 2020, 01:36:49 AM »
Problem is he danced like Elaine on Seinfeld.
It's not a problem. So did all of the other St. John's coaches that were fortunate enough to dance this millennium.