NYC media advantage..?

• 32 replies

ras

Re: NYC media advantage..?
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 10:20:46 PM »
I presently live in S. FLA.  I could walk into any pharmacy or food market and  easily get a NY Post,DailyNews,or NY Times . For some strange reason I never saw a Starledger for sale.

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 11:06:13 PM »
All I know is I can never remember St Johns being as much in the news as we are with Lavin. Whether you think NY is the media capital of the world or whatever doesn't matter so much.

Steve Lavin is the media capital of the world. That's good enough for me

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 11:55:33 PM »
St. John's has Daily News, NY Post, Newsday, NYT, WSJ, NY Mag, ESPN NY, and various other smaller news papers like Queens Courier on their beat.

Seton Hall has Star Ledger, Newark Examiner

UCLA has LA Times, LA Dailynews

Georgetown has Washington Journal, Washington Times

Florida....not sure people can read there.

This is just editorial....Come on ask me for another example I dare you!
Dave, you meant Communist Post, I mean Washington Post? - lol

pmg911

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 07:52:59 AM »
If you have some factual evidence to support why you don't think St. John's has an advantage please say so. You are certainly entitled to disagree and have your own opinion. I think I've supported my reasons sufficiently.

Dave..   I started a topic and asked for people to give examples of what distinct media advantages St. John's had over other schools, not just Seton Hall, in today's world. It was a question and I even stated at the end that maybe I am missing something. The back page of a newspaper is just not it because if Paris Horne had gone to say LaSalle and made that dunk in a win over Duke, the same big picture would have been available for his Grandma to have framed and it might have been in a hometown Philly newspaper vs. the Daily News. Even if the NY papers and print media are viewed as an advantage, kids today don't even pick them up sadly. They go online and read everything there and every major newspaper in America is online. The day after a big win, do you think SJU (or any other schools) players are running out to get the News, Post, Newsday, WSJ, NYT, New Yorker or local paper or do you think they are getting on their computers to read ESPN.com so they can see if their huge dunk over Duke made the Top 10 plays. I would bet a lot of money that most of the team is reading Johnny Jungle, Zags Blog and checking Twitter before they even see a newspaper the day after a game.

Steve Lavin has massively raised the standing of the SJU basketball program by improving performance on the court and with his recruiting. Lavin, and Fratto, are certainly VERY media savvy and they know how to work the media to the program's advantage. That being said, none of this will matter this year the team doesn't perform on the court and Lavin will be the first person to admit this and tell you. He has completely grasped and understands the potential giant that St. John's can be because of its media location but don't forget, being in the bright spotlight  of NYC can be a hindrance at times as well.

As Newsman said above (and he is probably THE most senior media poster on any SJU related site) New York City is a professional sports town and if the Knicks and Rangers are good this year, like they are supposed to be, St. John's is not the 1st tier story. They might be occasionally but a big Knicks or Rangers win will push them off the back page very quickly. God forbid the team is not strong for a couple of years (as has historically happened with St. John's since Coach Carnesecca left) they quickly become irrelevant. Two years ago the Daily News & Post were barely covering the team and wouldn't even send a local reporter to road games

That being said, a school like Louisville or Kentucky, while not in anything remotely resembling a media capital is THE focus of their sports community all year. They have huge national profiles and their coaches are just "charismatic" as our leader.

This is not at all a knock on St. John's, its just a commetary about the changing media world in which we are all a part of. It doesn't matter where you are located today if you are good or can perform, you are going to get covered, highlighted and ultimately over exposed.

Poison

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 08:07:03 AM »
PMG, NYC has more people than any other city. That is why their media is better. It's very simple: bigger is better. The more people that can watch, the more relevant you are.

SJU has fallen off the map over the last 7 years because the school didn't care enough about the program, and while the media here is the most powerful in the country, it can choose to ignore you if you are deemed irrelevant-which we were.

Now that Lavin is here, we are relevant again, the media will not ignore us. That will change everything. No other school can match that under any circumstance because they are not in NY.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 10:17:22 AM »
PMG: you're mixing up a number of aspects of media coverage. Who cares who the beat reporters are for the NY Times? Who cares if NYC is a pro sports town?

If you're comparing college basketball to college basketball, there are aspects of media coverage St. John's offers that no other school can likely compete with. Dave's statement has a lot of merit.

The days of the beat writer being the main arbiter of style and coverage is over. You can get info from all over, from blogs like mine or Dave's, from national outlets, from local outlets. The national outlets will cover whichever team is the big story; so will the local outlets.

New York has a ton of local outlets. When St. John's is competent, they are happy to write features on St. John's. The Post, Daily News, Times, Newsday, even; NY Mag, ESPN NY; the small daily free papers like the Metro; WSJ. Those are all very widely read. And if you have 6,7,8 outlets covering a story from different angles, that's a lot of coverage - more than other programs get. During last season, I read so many stories about each game it was overwhelming.

If you follow Seton Hall? Let's just say you're not overwhelmed.

Adding to that is the fact that much of the national media is centered in - or very cognizant of - the buzz in New York. Add a charismatic Lavin as coach. Add numerous television outlets watched over a wide area (and through subscription, nationwide) that will pass along the happenings of St. John's in 1-minute recaps if St. John's is slightly relevant.

That's a lot of media!  How can you deny that St. John's has a large potential reach?

pmg911

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 10:31:44 AM »
Peter - that is an answer, thank you.

I never denied anything. I asked a question to start a discussion, you are the first person to give a solid response. Funny thing, iIasked another poster if i should even start this conversation because it would get taken the wrong way.

ras

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »
Even though NY has professional sports teams a winning SJBB gets plenty of coverage. In the 80"s they were all over the sports pages.  SJU vs Georgetown  during the Mullin, Ewing years,was the hottest ticket to get.

redslope

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 12:06:40 PM »
there are different types of media: web based; radio based; television and print.  NYC definitely has the edge in print media because of the number of people here and the method of transportation they use to get to work.  Look on your subway or bus and you see folks reading here--something you can't do in most places as they do not have the mass transit we have.  Most folks have to go by car around the country (think of highway % in LA) and you can't read and drive ( I'm sure someone here will tell us they do it all the time--look for you around a pole soon).

television here jumps on the bandwagon when we win..You will SJU stories on Sunday nights on Fox 5 sports show from 10:30 to 11.  coverage on NY 1 with Tom McDonald.  Francesa on NBC at 11:30 not to mention coverage on SNY and MSG.  Radio on FAN and ESPN.

Yes we are first a pro town but success will change that as NY loves a winner.

Moose

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 09:48:28 PM »
Lets see how the glorified NY media handles this now.

Oh the NY Rag errr Post has already dragged Lavin thru the coals.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 11:30:34 AM »
Lets see how the glorified NY media handles this now.

Oh the NY Rag errr Post has already dragged Lavin thru the coals.
That's Lenny-what did you expect from Norm's butt boy?

Moose

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2011, 12:36:25 PM »
Dave, I said take Kyle Anderson out of the equation, so using Star Ledger (Whose beat writ hates SHU) and Bergen Record are poor comparisons.

Please tell me who covers "the St. John's beat" at NYT, New Yorker & WSJ..?

Being a "social media" director, you of all people should see my point.

You still didn't give a real media advantage that St. John's has over any school for any recruit in todays world. Between, facebook ,Twitter, blogs, ESPN.com, Rivals, Scout, etc...  Theses kids are already so ridiculously over exposed it's scary.

Someone above pointed out potential connections to the industry that people like Coach Lavin or someone like Mark Fratto might have, those are real points but for a kid that has NBA aspirations, those media connections are not helping him or pushing him to St. John's during his recruitment.

Pete Thamel at NYT, Sophia Hollander at WSJ, Will Leitch at NY Mag

I fail to see the reporters feeling towards SHU effects their media coverage? I'm confused.

Regardless there are little to no schools in the country who can boast as many media outlets covering them. I didn't dive into TV regional/national coverage, what St. John's does internally digitally, or national recognition from regional news outlets. How many newspapers across the country picked up the story of Steve Lavin being hired?

Book it, St. John's will be the only school in the country to have every single one of their games televised this year.

Texas should have all games on TV because of Longhorn Network.

I'll take that back. As of right now a lot of games are not showing TV on Texas schedule.

http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/tex-m-baskbl-sched.html

Schedule has been updated and as I expected all Texas games are on TV.  Longhorn Network picked up balance today.
Remember who broke the Slice news

pmg911

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 04:01:19 PM »
Book it, St. John's will be the only school in the country to have every single one of their games televised this year

did you book it yet..?