Kentucky in the BE/SEC Challenge

• 31 replies
Re: Kentucky in the BE/SEC Challenge
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »
THIS.
When we start talking predictions, I can't go higher than 9th; and that's a really good year, considering. Crazy talent, but college ball is so much more complex than HS hoops, talent or no. End of the year, this should be a team no one wants to face, but in January, we're all gonna have to remind the bandwagoners that freshmen hardly dominate on the top levels of the NCAA.

9th would be a pretty good year, considering we'd be pretty young.  9th probably will have us on the bubble of being an NCAA Tournament participant.  I believe the majority of the fans on the board had us between 7th-10th.  So, expectations are somewhat tempered.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:51:26 PM by mjdinkins »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 02:25:22 PM »
THIS.
When we start talking predictions, I can't go higher than 9th; and that's a really good year, considering. Crazy talent, but college ball is so much more complex than HS hoops, talent or no. End of the year, this should be a team no one wants to face, but in January, we're all gonna have to remind the bandwagoners that freshmen hardly dominate on the top levels of the NCAA.

9th would be a pretty good year, considering we'd be pretty young.  9th probably will have us on the bubble of being an NCAA Tournament participant.  I believe the majority of the fans on the board had us between 7th-10th.  So, expectations are somewhat tempered.
Maybe here, but folks occasionally talk like the team shouldn't be left out of bracketology. I'd go 12th initially but I want to look over the rest of the rosters.

But the game in Kentucky is interesting. Far drive for me, but I might have a place to stay and even a hookup for tickets, I might just try and go.

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
Without looking at the rosters I'd guess between 11-13.  Year two, however, I think we are a top five team and it only helps us to be facing such a brutal schedule this season. 

You come to St. John's, you play the best.  I like it.  UCLA, Duke, Kentucky....bring them all on. 

Moose

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 04:48:46 PM »

For as much talent as we have, I don't think many people on these boards realize how many mistakes freshman make.  It's going to be damn ugly at certain points but very exciting at others. 
THIS.

My response would be though that there are so many newcomers that the flip side is on one night its gonna be tough for 1 or 2, maybe 3 guys but not all 9.  Its not like they are all going to be lock step and key.  So on a night Nuri is off Harrison is there to pick up slack.  And then when Pelle is off GG can provide minutes.  Just two examples.  There is talented depth finally.  Players that can put the ball in the ocean unlike the previous depth we had where we had PG's who couldnt score and in some cases another player on the court and playing 3 on 5 in essence.
Remember who broke the Slice news

redslope

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 07:00:58 PM »
coach, it is now time for you to walk over to the Magnolia Bakery in the Village and pick up some of there great treats--cupcakes.

the schedule is awesome--it makes my head hurt

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 04:38:35 AM »
this could be a fun road trip game. I wonder how hard it will be to get tickets

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2011, 07:56:28 AM »
Great matchup..crazy that we will be playing in the preseason tournament and then play UCLA Duke and Kentucky...that's got to help the RPI.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

SJU85

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 08:05:52 AM »
Didn't Lavin say something about not having a schedule as difficult as last year's for a young team?!! This is far tougher. UCLA's better and Kentucky's better than St. Mary's, et cetera...

I remember Lavin saying that as well. Would we get Kentucky at the Garden the next year?

Doubtful because they try to mix up the teams who play eachother each year in this Challenge.  Unless we did it on our own accord we would probably get another SEC team the next year.  Remember we had UGA two years ago.  This past year we were off.  Now they expanded to include more teams so only a few sit out.
Thanks Moose, I was wondering if they had expanded the Challenge.  IMHO, BE should have never dropped out of the BE-ACC Challenge.  Realizing their mistake, they made a nice recovery by agreeing to play the SEC.  Expanded it to include more teams every year is a great idea.

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011, 08:30:05 AM »
I love the scheduling approach. Anyone anytime especially to be on national tv.

MCNPA

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2011, 08:40:06 AM »
Didn't Lavin say something about not having a schedule as difficult as last year's for a young team?!! This is far tougher. UCLA's better and Kentucky's better than St. Mary's, et cetera...

I remember Lavin saying that as well. Would we get Kentucky at the Garden the next year?

Doubtful because they try to mix up the teams who play eachother each year in this Challenge.  Unless we did it on our own accord we would probably get another SEC team the next year.  Remember we had UGA two years ago.  This past year we were off.  Now they expanded to include more teams so only a few sit out.
Thanks Moose, I was wondering if they had expanded the Challenge.  IMHO, BE should have never dropped out of the BE-ACC Challenge.  Realizing their mistake, they made a nice recovery by agreeing to play the SEC.  Expanded it to include more teams every year is a great idea.

The Big East vs SEC challenge is better than when we matched up with the ACC IMO.  I don't think it was a mistake at all.  The ACC which raided the Big East should find their own sandbox.  I actually prefer matching up with schools that has generally a different geographical recruiting ground.  The ACC is top heavy and the rest of the conference floundering as the Big East is taking off basketball-wise.  I have no problem leaving it that way.  I too love that it is an expanded field.

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2011, 10:55:51 AM »

The Big East vs SEC challenge is better than when we matched up with the ACC IMO.  I don't think it was a mistake at all.  The ACC which raided the Big East should find their own sandbox.  I actually prefer matching up with schools that has generally a different geographical recruiting ground.  The ACC is top heavy and the rest of the conference floundering as the Big East is taking off basketball-wise.  I have no problem leaving it that way.  I too love that it is an expanded field.

That Florida/Cuse game will be fantastic as well
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:56:34 AM by Marco Baldi »