Big East, Big 12 Discuss Merger

• 36 replies

redslope

Re: Big East, Big 12 Discuss Merger
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 09:50:21 PM »
No St Joe's unless the give us the trademark for SJU.  Seriously any Philadelphia addition should be the decision of Nova.  I would prefer Temple if they disown the desire for big time FB and are willing to stay in the MAAC or whatever conference they are in now.

would like UMass to get us into the Boston market and strengthen the New England connection.  I think Butler would make a good addition as they are similar to Gonzaga and would be a good fit with ND.

one reach might be Detroit as it would get Big East BB into the Michigan market or another reach could be Duquesne which would be thumbing our nose at the pits.  Imagine the #'s they could sell with a ND or Georgetown coming to town or the hated Philly team, Nova

TONYD3

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 09:52:58 PM »
Good tickets cost 65 bucks at msg. 30percent at least are bought by fans of other teams. How many st.Louis fans are coming to msg? How many creighton fans? St.johns won't play games at the garden to lose money. Not sure if this is accurate butmi heard we need to sell at least 10,000 tickets to break even. How could we do that with that conference schedule? Georgetown, nova, and nd would be the only draws. The rest all play at alumni hall when they come. Maybe I just had a bad day, but this seems like an awful idea to me.

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 09:59:12 PM »
I was thinking about Memphis too, Dink.  They would put that group over the top. 
Choz, we have to think survival and if that means that Gonazaga has to fly to the Midwest and east 6 times a season...that is not too bad.  They can keep all of their non-conference games out west and play STJ and SH in a weekend and Depaul and ND in a weekend...Xavier and Dayton as well for that matter.

Think of the TV markets.
NYC
NJ
Chicago
New England
Milwaukee
St. Louis
zags can bring on the entire late night market (bettors, west coast, etc.)

Marillac

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 10:04:31 PM »
Good tickets cost 65 bucks at msg. 30percent at least are bought by fans of other teams. How many st.Louis fans are coming to msg? How many creighton fans? St.johns won't play games at the garden to lose money. Not sure if this is accurate butmi heard we need to sell at least 10,000 tickets to break even. How could we do that with that conference schedule? Georgetown, nova, and nd would be the only draws. The rest all play at alumni hall when they come. Maybe I just had a bad day, but this seems like an awful idea to me.

Tony, how many seats did Miami sell or USF or WV or Cincy? The east-west format gives us One home game a year against nova, SH, Gtown, Prov, Xavier...we can still bring in Duke, Cuse, etc for ooc. 

We just need to survive now.
Screw it, do it right. Add BYU who averaged 6the most fans.  Add Wichita St. Who has no football and averaged # 40 in attendance.  Dayton was #27...Creighton was # 22 with a thousand more fans a game than Georgetown.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:16:10 PM by Marillac »

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 10:57:14 PM »
I think I'd prefer it if we kept what was left of the Big East and took in Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa St. and Missouri.

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 11:42:32 PM »
i tried to sell this idea on redmen.com.  i think it'll work better than the other scenarios.

the big east has a few choices, as i see it.  first of all, to do nothing is to perish into a temporarily glorified atlantic 10. 

it can bring in the remainder of the big 12 schools...kansas, kansas state, missouri, baylor, iowa state and maybe temple and memphis for example and form a 14 team football conference that would still be part of the big east.  these should come with draconian buyouts so we don't have the constant threat of teams leaving. 

it can do that and ALSO bring in ten basketball "only" (most have division 1AA football) schools from the following:

xavier (high quality program)
old dominion
vcu
richmond
unc charlotte (the above four already play good ball and are in the heart of the acc)
duquesne (to make up for pittsburgh)
st bonaventure (to make up for syracuse)
umass (to enhance new england/boston market)
st louis
butler
dayton

that's a 32 team super basketball conference.  four divisions...north, south, east and west.  you get home and home in your own division plus some games out of division.  big east championship tournament split between barclays center and msg.  this would make travel less expensive for non basketball teams that would predominantly play in their own divisions.  there would be four champions...

the television possibilities are better than what any other conference would be able to offer.

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 01:56:02 AM »
i tried to sell this idea on redmen.com.  i think it'll work better than the other scenarios.

the big east has a few choices, as i see it.  first of all, to do nothing is to perish into a temporarily glorified atlantic 10. 

it can bring in the remainder of the big 12 schools...kansas, kansas state, missouri, baylor, iowa state and maybe temple and memphis for example and form a 14 team football conference that would still be part of the big east.  these should come with draconian buyouts so we don't have the constant threat of teams leaving. 

it can do that and ALSO bring in ten basketball "only" (most have division 1AA football) schools from the following:

old dominion
vcu
richmond
unc charlotte (the above four already play good ball and are in the heart of the acc)
st bonaventure (to make up for Syracuse)
um ass (to enhance new England/Boston market)
st Louis
butler
dayton

that's a 32 team super basketball conference.  four divisions...north, south, east and west.  you get home and home in your own division plus some games out of division.  big east championship tournament split between barclays center and MSG.  this would make travel less expensive for non basketball teams that would predominantly play in their own divisions.  there would be four champions...

the television possibilities are better than what any other conference would be able to offer.

I think you have a really neat idea. But its not really a "super" basketball conference. Its a pretty good one.

I'm not sure if I completely understood you, when you said there would be 4 champions. are those the schools who get to go on and compete against the football schools in the NCAA's?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 01:57:36 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 08:21:37 AM »
Temple > St. Joe's. Waaaaay better arena. Better coach. Better tradition. Outside of the Jameer years they aint been that good.

Duquense and St. Bonnies is small time for the A10. They on par with Fordham.

And I aint sayin I dont want the Zags. Im sayin the Zags wont want us. No way they is gettin involved with a East Coast/Mid-west bball league. They is fine where they are.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 01:54:01 PM »

old dominion
vcu
richmond
st bonaventure (to make up for Syracuse)
um ass (to enhance new England/Boston market)
st Louis
butler
dayton

that's a 32 team super basketball conference.  four divisions...north, south, east and west.  you get home and home in your own division plus some games out of division.  big east championship tournament split between barclays center and MSG.  this would make travel less expensive for non basketball teams that would predominantly play in their own divisions.  there would be four champions...

I think you have a really neat idea. But its not really a "super" basketball conference. Its a pretty good one.

I'm not sure if I completely understood you, when you said there would be 4 champions. are those the schools who get to go on and compete against the football schools in the NCAA's?

the four division champions could get the top four seeds in a big east tournament at the end of the season.  the ncaa tournament would be the same.  they'd still pick our top teams for march madness.   the football teams would be divided up somehow into the four divisions.  one has nothing to do with the other.  there are schools in there that some don't like...take them out and find someone better.

with 32 teams of very high quality...our post season tournament could be almost as good as the ncaa tournament...and could create almost as much buzz. with national t-v, i'm sure people around the country will be filling out their brackets as they do with the ncaa.  again, this is no substitute for the ncaa tournament...it's just a larger big east tournament.

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 02:01:56 PM »
No St Joes.  Dayton has one of the highest attendance figures in the NCAA.

East

STJ
Providence
Georgetown
Seton Hall
Villanova
Xavier

West
Dayton
Marquette
Depaul
Notre Dame
St. Louis
GONZAGA
Creighton

Zags?
C'mon now... they aint gonna join a league when they closest road game is half a continent away. 

TCU didnt mind

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2011, 02:14:13 PM »
TCU needed a place to play football.

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 02:17:23 PM »
No St Joes.  Dayton has one of the highest attendance figures in the NCAA.

East

STJ
Providence
Georgetown
Seton Hall
Villanova
Xavier

West
Dayton
Marquette
Depaul
Notre Dame
St. Louis
GONZAGA
Creighton

Zags?
C'mon now... they aint gonna join a league when they closest road game is half a continent away. 

TCU didnt mind

TCU wanted to get into a BCS conference which they need and helps them alot for football. Gonzaga doesnt need that for their basketball program.

Maybe financially theyre better off in a major conference, but they still play a nice amount of good teams every year and come tourny time it doesnt really hurt that theyre not in a major conference.

jr49

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 02:51:38 PM »

old dominion
vcu
richmond
st louis
butler
dayton

that's a 32 team super basketball conference.  four divisions...north, south, east and west.  you get home and home in your own division plus some games out of division.  big east championship tournament split between barclays center and msg.  this would make travel less expensive for non basketball teams that would predominantly play in their own divisions.  there would be four champions...

Why would u need to dilute a hoops league with so many ordinary teams? Nine is all it would take to cover Milw., Chicago, Southern Ohio, and all the big markets in the north east. How many times can u split the pie? Anyway, it's out there that BE is staying together and offers might be made to Army, Navy, Air Force, East Carolina, and Maybe Cent. Fla. The hoops only teams are going along. I don't know if this would be complete membership or football only. Who knows if they know.

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 02:56:07 PM »
How would it work if teams come in for football only? I would think the conferences they're in now wouldnt let them stay in just for hoops if they left for football.

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 03:23:36 PM »

old dominion
vcu
richmond
st louis
butler
dayton

Why would u need to dilute a hoops league with so many ordinary teams? Nine is all it would take to cover Milw., Chicago, Southern Ohio, and all the big markets in the north east. How many times can u split the pie? Anyway, it's out there that BE is staying together and offers might be made to Army, Navy, Air Force, East Carolina, and Maybe Cent. Fla. The hoops only teams are going along. I don't know if this would be complete membership or football only. Who knows if they know.

army, navy, air force, east carolina and central florida aren't big east quality.  i'd rather mow my lawn than watch east carolina play central florida.  the big east has to look to get better...not just to hang on to a name.

jr49

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 05:52:04 PM »

old dominion
vcu
richmond
st louis
butler
dayton

army, navy, air force, east carolina and central florida aren't big east quality.  i'd rather mow my lawn than watch east carolina play central florida.  the big east has to look to get better...not just to hang on to a name.
The thing is they are BE quality. Who been watching Syracuse-Rutgers. Getting the 3 academies will improve viewer-ship. 

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 09:52:15 PM »

old dominion
vcu
richmond
st louis
butler
dayton

The thing is they are BE quality. Who been watching Syracuse-Rutgers. Getting the 3 academies will improve viewer-ship. 

Isnt their height requirements at the academies?