Big East schools commit to each other to remain together

• 54 replies

LJSA

Re: Big East schools commit to each other to remain together
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2011, 05:04:34 PM »
I think UConn and Rutgers would have no trouble stabbing the BE in the back, and I think TCU gets invited to the Big 12 if Missouri leaves.

If Louisville, Cincy, West Virginia, and South Florida commit to staying, Temple and Memphis should be brought in for all sports, and Army and Navy for football only. Eight football teams, and the basketball isn't unnecessarily diluted by East Carolina or Marshall. 14-team basketball league, and make the penalty for leaving 5 years and 25 million.

ras

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2011, 07:18:43 PM »
I think UConn and Rutgers would have no trouble stabbing the BE in the back, and I think TCU gets invited to the Big 12 if Missouri leaves.

If Louisville, Cincy, West Virginia, and South Florida commit to staying, Temple and Memphis should be brought in for all sports, and Army and Navy for football only. Eight football teams, and the basketball isn't unnecessarily diluted by East Carolina or Marshall. 14-team basketball league, and make the penalty for leaving 5 years and 25 million.
That is a good realistic scenario .  Unfortunately I too  think there is more of a threat of the B12 taking BE teams then vi ca verse and the 1st team that came to mind was TCU. Airforce for FB also and there are some other good {not great}options.

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 07:50:06 PM »
I think they are in the MAC. They play Navy and Air Force every year. Not enough pull to have then leave the MAC?

Marillac

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2011, 08:22:51 PM »
The BE doesn't need more than 9 schools.
Gtown, Nova, SJ, WV, Depaul, Marquette, Hall, Louisville and ND.

Here's the crasiest idea of all: everyone plays everyone twice.

TV money.  More teams = more markets = more money.  I probably wouldn't watch an Xavier-Creighton game unless both schools were in the same conference as St. John's.  That's the way the college sports world works now.  The problem with a lot of the ACC and SEC teams is that they are in very small markets and basketball is not a priority.  We are ina market of 20 million viewers...that's huge for St. John's. 

I think the magic # is 16 for the Big East if we go all non-football schools. 

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2011, 11:03:15 PM »
Pitino said he was told that the Big East will add service academies Air Force and Navy by the end of the week -- but only in football.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/7001082/rick-pitino-reacts-big-east-defections

I hope that St. John's does not continue to play the Cuse at the Garden.  Why should the Cuse have its cake and eat it too.  Letting them come to the Garden helps them in the New York recruiting game.... "F"  that. >:(

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2011, 11:07:13 PM »

The joke is, I remember how much Rutgers practically begged Dave Gavitt to let them in the Big East and now they want to leave?  Now thats loyalty for ya.  And as far as the Cuse goes, they are led by some new witch, with a capital B chancelor who wouldnt know tradition if ti hit her in the face.

LJSA

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2011, 12:13:52 AM »
The joke is, I remember how much Rutgers practically begged Dave Gavitt to let them in the Big East and now they want to leave?  Now thats loyalty for ya.  And as far as the Cuse goes, they are led by some new witch, with a capital B chancelor who wouldnt know tradition if ti hit her in the face.

I would phrase it a little differently, but I think I actually agree with you on this one, which may be a first. ;D

LJSA

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2011, 12:18:38 AM »

That is a good realistic scenario .  Unfortunately I too  think there is more of a threat of the B12 taking BE teams then vi ca verse and the 1st team that came to mind was TCU. Airforce for FB also and there are some other good {not great}options.

Now that Missouri claims to be back in the Big 12 fold, I think the Big East is kind of safe. I think they grab TCU, which won't hurt too bad since they never made it here to begin with, and they'll go for BYU.

I much prefer Army and Navy here over East Carolina, etc. A 14-team league would be nice. Even nicer would be a vote to kick out UConn and Rutgers once the other 14 teams were set.

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2011, 12:23:11 AM »
Has the Big East ever hired investment consultants to determine their worth and strategic options ? Sometimes you need an outside opinion to tell you wtf to do

ras

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2011, 12:29:32 AM »
I think BYU is an excellent choice.

MCNPA

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2011, 12:44:30 AM »
I think BYU is an excellent choice.

Too far west...

NYCoffey

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2011, 12:40:56 PM »
According to this article, the big east is not going to look at any schools that are in any markets that they currently have teams. Between that and not going to far west, the choices are pretty slim.

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2011/9/27/2453373/big-east-not-considering-schools-within-current-big-east-states

ras

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2011, 01:03:25 PM »
The BE is being to greedy. USF is going to cut their own throat. Where will they go if the BE falls apart.

ras

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2011, 01:05:45 PM »
Samething with Nova. Temple offers good programs in FB and BB. IT is academically and geographically ideal for the BE.

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2011, 01:15:52 PM »
According to this article, the big east is not going to look at any schools that are in any markets that they currently have teams. Between that and not going to far west, the choices are pretty slim.

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2011/9/27/2453373/big-east-not-considering-schools-within-current-big-east-states

exactly why marinatto must be fired today.  he's weak.