Big East schools commit to each other to remain together

• 54 replies

ras

Re: Big East schools commit to each other to remain together
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 01:05:07 PM »
The BE doesn't need more than 9 schools.
Gtown, Nova, SJ, WV, Depaul, Marquette, Hall, Louisville and ND.

Here's the crasiest idea of all: everyone plays everyone twice.
They dont need more than 9 schools but the problem with those 9 are UL,WVU  play football and must be in a conference with at least 8 footballs schools. If the BE can keep those 9 and keep  USF,Cincy and TCU and they dont threaten to jump ship. Add Memphis, ideally a couple of Big 12, maybe military for FB only then it will work out fine. Thats a big if.

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 01:56:08 PM »
these suggestions are all a step down.  i think the conference wants to be more creative than that.

ras

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 02:49:03 PM »
My scenario presented is about as good as were going to get , hopefully we could retain UCONN. But options are limited What do you tkink, that ND is going to join the BE in football or PennState is going to leave the B10 for the BE?

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 03:11:02 PM »
Lets keep this conversation civil please. There are ways to get across your point without being offensive.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

jr49

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 04:55:24 PM »
Is it really realistic that the big east would be able to add Kansas, Kansas St., Butler?

That would somewhat make up for the loss of Syracuse and Pitt, and maybe Uconn.
The BE will not have the opportunity to cherry pick the B-12. If anything happens between the two, it will be B-12 doing the picking, and leaving the bones. Regarding Butler, why would there be a need to recruit a non-footballer unless the football teams leave?   

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 05:56:26 PM »

Good news is that they have time if this 27 month exit period is enforced. 

Yeah, but there is continued uncertainty. And that messes wit recruits, etc.
  I agree . I hate to say this but if you were an elite recruit and you were choosing between SJU and SU and you took into account the stability of SU and did not even know what conference SJU would be in ,you might just pick SU
This is not just now with the immediate uncertainty, this is long term.  The Big East in the past was a huge recruiting tool, "WAS" is the operative word here.  SJU in a lesser conference will have a hard time getting big time recruits again.  Someone please tell me I am over reacting because I am very, very concerned!!

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 06:02:40 PM »

Good news is that they have time if this 27 month exit period is enforced. 

Yeah, but there is continued uncertainty. And that messes wit recruits, etc.
  I agree . I hate to say this but if you were an elite recruit and you were choosing between SJU and SU and you took into account the stability of SU and did not even know what conference SJU would be in ,you might just pick SU
This is not just now with the immediate uncertainty, this is long term.  The Big East in the past was a huge recruiting tool, "WAS" is the operative word here.  SJU in a lesser conference will have a hard time getting big time recruits again.  Someone please tell me I am over reacting because I am very, very concerned!!
you are over-reacting - don't be that concerned.   

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 06:22:02 PM »
These schools that are bolting for a "power" football conference do so because they couldn't build a winning program.  If they had been able to win, they wouldn't have to leave.  The ACC is crap (in football)!  What good football program do they have?  NC,  NC State?  Wake?  Even FSU has been down lately.  SyraCuse will continue to suck in the ACC.  They averaged almost 20,000 fewer fans per home game that West Virginia last year.

This is all about getting a piece of the TV contract.  Does ACC football make that much TV money?  Is it worth trashing your basketball conference and traditional rivalries for?  Pittsburgh concerns me less.  Syracuse belongs in the Big East.

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 06:28:52 PM »
These schools that are bolting for a "power" football conference do so because they couldn't build a winning program.  If they had been able to win, they wouldn't have to leave.  The ACC is crap (in football)!  What good football program do they have?  NC,  NC State?  Wake?  Even FSU has been down lately.  SyraCuse will continue to suck in the ACC.  They averaged almost 20,000 fewer fans per home game that West Virginia last year.

This is all about getting a piece of the TV contract.  Does ACC football make that much TV money?  Is it worth trashing your basketball conference and traditional rivalries for?  Pittsburgh concerns me less.  Syracuse belongs in the Big East.

That doesn't necessarily explain Nebraska to the Big 10 or Oklahoma salivating at the Pac 16.  Wanting to jump to a power conference for the money and wanting to continue to be or become a successful program on the field aren't mutually exclusive.  It's just that the ones who are looking for both aren't interested in the ACC.

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 06:37:04 PM »
Sorry, I was speaking of the Big East teams that are moving to another crap football conference.  I should have been clearer.  Nebraska to the Big Ten/12 I understand.  Even Big 12 teams leaving for the Pac 12 seems like a lateral move at best.

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2011, 06:40:19 PM »
Pitino said he was told that the Big East will add service academies Air Force and Navy by the end of the week -- but only in football.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/7001082/rick-pitino-reacts-big-east-defections
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 06:48:28 PM »
Sorry, I was speaking of the Big East teams that are moving to another crap football conference.  I should have been clearer.  Nebraska to the Big Ten/12 I understand.  Even Big 12 teams leaving for the Pac 12 seems like a lateral move at best.

That's where there's a lot of misunderstanding, at least I think there is.  The Big 12/SWC, etc... has always been a strong athletic conference but take out Texas and you can't touch the markets penetrated by the other conferences including the Pac 12.  Iowa, Kansas and Oklahoma(the entire states)?  Waco and Lubbock?  Just not enough people/watching eyes/spending power so I would assume they're behind the 8 ball when negotiating TV contracts.   At least Mizzou can bring St. Louis and maybe KC to the table.  That's why they're more likely to get into the SEC than better football schools.  Not sure why A&M.

Same thing but different for BE football.  They deliver population centers/DMA's but no one in them cares about football.  That's the same problem but different.

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 09:01:38 PM »
BrandonTierney Brandon Tierney
Big East hoops, coming to an arena near you: St. John's, Seton Hall, Rider, Iona and St. Joes!

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 09:12:09 PM »
NJIT in Iona out until Momo get a hardship!

LJSA

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 10:05:10 PM »
 I actually think Air Force football is better off right where it is.

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
That first line sounds like it came from the mouth of high school punk. :down:

Rather, it came from the mouth of a St. John's Graduate student. Maybe you should grow a pair and learn to see cuss words without crying and being offended like a little old lady.

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2011, 02:40:56 AM »
MCN has it dead on. No need to panic. BEast can always consolidate to bb only conference. If schools do not want to be part of
the conference, worse case SJU, Gtown, Nova, SH, Depaul, Marq, ND. Maybe We add Xavier and Butler. Most of
us could live with that. In the meantime, we need to preserve BE football.

NYCoffey

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2011, 12:47:40 PM »
Here's Rick Pitinos thoughts. I kind of like his dog on Boston College. and his views on playing Syracuse and Pitt.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/7001082/rick-pitino-says-big-east-survive

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2011, 02:20:03 PM »
Why just Air Force & Navy? Where is Army? They have to play each other every year. Army staying in MAC?

LJSA

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 04:48:50 PM »
Why just Air Force & Navy? Where is Army? They have to play each other every year. Army staying in MAC?

Army is an independent as far as I know. And they'd play Navy regardless of whether they were in the same conference or not, so that wouldn't be a concern.