Poison

Re: Who's the Fifth Starter?
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 09:02:19 AM »
Branch, Greene
Harrison, Balamou
Sampson, Pointer, Garrett
Sanchez, Sampson
Obekpa, Gift

Gift has a lot of work to do, or Lavin can hand him Jasuloines' towel to wave.

Its the Abe Keita towel.  He made it famous.  Or was it infamous?

Definitely infamous :)

boo3

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 07:24:04 PM »
I've said it before, I know Lavin is open to multiple lineup combinations, and everyone who says practices will determine who plays is probably right, but ... if they didn't want to giv Gift major minutes when we only had 6 scholarship players and were being out rebounded by such a wide margin; then there's no way he gets those kind of minutes this year when we have reinforcements.
Not a knock on GG, he plays hard and represents the school well. 

I think Obekpa is going to rack up the fouls quickly. Going to need Gift and his muscle

What makes you think he will rack up fouls quickly? I agree that Gift will get minutes. He's not as bad as some people make him out to be.  He played 35 minutes a night last year which exposed all of his weaknesses.  In a limited role he can be productive.

MCNPA

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 07:37:55 PM »
I've said it before, I know Lavin is open to multiple lineup combinations, and everyone who says practices will determine who plays is probably right, but ... if they didn't want to giv Gift major minutes when we only had 6 scholarship players and were being out rebounded by such a wide margin; then there's no way he gets those kind of minutes this year when we have reinforcements.

I think Obekpa is going to rack up the fouls quickly. Going to need Gift and his muscle

Obekpa's greatest gift is that he does a great job of blocking shots without using his body.  He blocks it's both hands and has a great knack for not fouling guys.  No doubt he'll get whistled a bit because refs favor the offensive player most if the time in those situations, but watch some obekpa video.  His body positioning on blocks is great and he doesn't hack down in the ball like most.

boo3

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 07:44:23 PM »

Obekpa's greatest gift is that he does a great job of blocking shots without using his body.  He blocks it's both hands and has a great knack for not fouling guys.  No doubt he'll get whistled a bit because refs favor the offensive player most if the time in those situations, but watch some obekpa video.  His body positioning on blocks is great and he doesn't hack down in the ball like most.

Exactly!  All your read about the kid is how he has this innate ability to time his jump and not foul.

Baldi just looking to to find something to be negative about..

11 man rotation? - Baldi

^ now we have too many good players?  Lol.... Earn your spot on the floor in practice. If you don't like it, transfer..  You can, and will be replaced..

crgreen

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 08:29:27 PM »

Your referee point is most salient, I think.  If only "good" refs are calling the games, no, CO probably wouldn't get into foul trouble.  But it seems these days sightings of "good" referees are about as common as Yeti sightings.   I agree, COs blocking ability is remarkable (espeically his ability to CONTROL the block - seems like every block he makes stays in play and goes to a teammate or to himeself!), but  most of todays refereeing is markedly UNremarkable.   I think the constant foul trouble early in his career is going to be (sadly) inevitable.

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 03:25:00 AM »
The way I see it:

PG -- Greene until December, and then Branch (or maybe still Greene, depending) starting in December
SG -- Harrison
C -- Obekpa

Then you have Sampson definitely starting, at either the 3 or the 4.

So the question is who among Pointer, Garrett, and Sanchez is the 5th starter?  I imagine it may vary by team, but I think you'll see Dom start --- go with strong defense.  Garrett off the bench with some offense and energy, as well as Sanchez for some inside scoring.

Very surprised with you, Tha Kid.  Do you really think Obekpa will start?  Garrett, Sampson, and Sanchez are all far better options this coming season. I think he will be very good, but he is nowhere near a starter at even an A-10 team as a frosh.

Someone on this board explain to me the difference between the four and five in our system. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 09:03:30 AM »
Marillac, I think he starts because traditionally you start defense and bring the offensive firepower off the bench.  Seems like classic case to start obekpa.

See okc with Ibaka and perk. 
"I drink and I know things"

MCNPA

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 09:18:37 AM »
The way I see it:

PG -- Greene until December, and then Branch (or maybe still Greene, depending) starting in December
SG -- Harrison
C -- Obekpa

So the question is who among Pointer, Garrett, and Sanchez is the 5th starter?  I imagine it may vary by team, but I think you'll see Dom start --- go with strong defense.  Garrett off the bench with some offense and energy, as well as Sanchez for some inside scoring.

Very surprised with you, Tha Kid.  Do you really think Obekpa will start?  Garrett, Sampson, and Sanchez are all far better options this coming season. I think he will be very good, but he is nowhere near a starter at even an A-10 team as a frosh.

Someone on this board explain to me the difference between the four and five in our system.

Google Pete Newell Reverse Action Offense and it will give greater detail how our O works. 

Foad

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 10:08:16 AM »
Obekpa's greatest gift is that he does a great job of blocking shots without using his body.

If he learns to bend spoons he could have quite the career in show business.

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 10:11:31 AM »
Obekpa's greatest gift is that he does a great job of blocking shots without using his body.

If he learns to bend spoons he could have quite the career in show business.

Young Skywalker

crgreen

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 01:34:30 PM »
The way I see it:

SG -- Harrison
C -- Obekpa

It think it will depend on how much Lavin/Dunlap decide to press this year.    If the decision is made to press early and often, then I can certainly see CO starting.   He looks to be a perfect 5 in a zone press.   Not necessarily a 5 in the current PG/1, SG/2, SF/3, PF/4, C/5 terminology, but the old John Wooden 1-5 on the press - where the one is initial defender at the inbound, and the 5 is the guy at the backline - the Free Safety or centerfielder (depending on which sports metaphor you prefer).   Wooden had a college POY in Walt Hazzard, and another guy who's a Hall of Famer in Gail Goodrich on his first 2 title teams.  But he said the most valuable player on those first two champions was SF  Keith Erickson - who was the 5 on the Wooden press.

And Steve used to talk hoops with Coach Wooden almost daily for 7 years.

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 05:08:49 PM »
no way does obekpa start. this team is offensively challenged.  here's how i see it:

Green
Harrison
Amir
JKS
Sanchez

1st off bench
Dom

It didn't hit me until you said that we will have scoring droughts this year! It will definitely be a team that eats off their D! Even after we sign Chandler.

PG-Branch
SG-Harrison
SF-Amir
PF-Sampson
C- Chandler
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

desco80

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2012, 05:18:38 PM »
The way I see it:

SG -- Harrison
C -- Obekpa

It think it will depend on how much Lavin/Dunlap decide to press this year.    If the decision is made to press early and often, then I can certainly see CO starting.   He looks to be a perfect 5 in a zone press.   Not necessarily a 5 in the current PG/1, SG/2, SF/3, PF/4, C/5 terminology, but the old John Wooden 1-5 on the press - where the one is initial defender at the inbound, and the 5 is the guy at the backline - the Free Safety or centerfielder (depending on which sports metaphor you prefer).   Wooden had a college POY in Walt Hazzard, and another guy who's a Hall of Famer in Gail Goodrich on his first 2 title teams.  But he said the most valuable player on those first two champions was SF  Keith Erickson - who was the 5 on the Wooden press.

And Steve used to talk hoops with Coach Wooden almost daily for 7 years.

Excellent point.  What we saw last year was a shell of the defense I think Lavin and Dunlap want to run.
We saw something closer to it 2 years ago with the seniors, when we pressed early and often.   Now with a full roster of his own players (mostly long & athletic) I think they will want to get back to that.  And, perhaps be even more aggressive. 

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 07:03:42 PM »
Early last year, our zone D got burned quite a bit by good shooters.  As the season went on, the guys reacted better, and our zone D was much more effective.  I think you will see the guys who are more experienced with our system getting most of the minutes early on.  CO will definitely be behind the curve as a freshman.