Detroit Game

• 39 replies
Re: Detroit Game
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 12:36:58 AM »
Professors would never cancel a class for a basketball game. 90% of them don't care about the sports teams. From someone who went to St. John's the past four years I would not expect a great crowd. I'm going to try to get to the game and I would be happy as a pig in shit if it was sold out but I really am not seeing it. 2pm on a weekday is a killer.

Foad

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 09:37:46 AM »
I was going to suggest an idea that involves socks and bars of soap

I don't see how jerking off could possibly help attendance but I'm certainly willing to man up.

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 11:38:07 AM »
As I've said numerous times.  Charge every student an 'activity fee of 100-150 bucks' on top of their tuition and then make admission free and first come first serve.

Its a sound idea.

But the problem is this: STJ has 13,000 undergrads in Queens. How you fit all them in CA?

Dont seem fair if Im bein charged by the school, but cant enjoy the benefits.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Moose

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 11:55:09 AM »
As I've said numerous times.  Charge every student an 'activity fee of 100-150 bucks' on top of their tuition and then make admission free and first come first serve.

Its a sound idea.

But the problem is this: STJ has 13,000 undergrads in Queens. How you fit all them in CA?

A lot of  schools do it.  And we know that out of the 13k most don't care about the team.  Most of the time the activity fee is so vague it applies to many things.

One of these days the school will figure it out.....
Remember who broke the Slice news

Tha Kid

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 02:40:37 PM »
Duke does just that, AND I personally have been left out of a game after waiting on line, in the rain for 20 hours.  There's no reason we can't do it.  There being more demand by SJU students to go to the game than there are seats is almost ludicrous given the poor student turnout relative to the number of students that attend the school.
"I drink and I know things"

desco80

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 04:22:10 PM »
How much do student tickets cost now?   And don't you get "spirit" points or something for going to games?

Moose

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 07:08:54 PM »
How much do student tickets cost now?   And don't you get "spirit" points or something for going to games?

100 bucks for the year I think.

sju89tr

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 07:31:09 PM »

99 I think LOL

desco80

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2012, 10:31:10 PM »

99 I think LOL

So $5 a game essentially?   I'm not saying it's an inconsequential amount .... money means different things to different people, but it's not a ridiculous obstacle.   
With that said - the school could definitely make things easier by including it in the student activity fee. 

This topic of student involvement and attendance generally has no easy answers, other than winning.   Hopefully that cures all. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:31:55 PM by desco80 »

Moose

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2012, 10:39:35 PM »

99 I think LOL

So $5 a game essentially?   I'm not saying it's an inconsequential amount .... money means different things to different people, but it's not a ridiculous obstacle.   
With that said - the school could definitely make things easier by including it in the student activity fee. 

This topic of student involvement and attendance generally has no easy answers, other than winning.   Hopefully that cures all. 

So many factors come into play.  Having general admission while good in some ways also might dissuade students from coming because they might not want to sit somewhere or want the guarantee of a seat etc...

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2012, 10:48:28 PM »
Duke does just that, AND I personally have been left out of a game after waiting on line, in the rain for 20 hours. 

And it obviously has affected " Tha Kid " quite horribly as witnessed by his recent pictures with is wife and child lounging on the beach in various stages of vacation looking like the kennedys at their compound

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 12:31:05 AM »
It's opening day, I would expect a sell out at CA

I'm expecting to hear crickets.

derk

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 03:01:37 PM »

Its a sound idea.

They can get their moneys worth watching, soccer, baseball etc. First come first served.

SJU85

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2012, 08:43:35 AM »
Many students will probably have completed their classes for the day by 2PM.   

redslope

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2012, 09:46:08 AM »

.......and already be at work.  Despite the dorms, we have a lot of commuters and i can say they work after school as I recruit SJU students for my firm and the resume of almost everyone indicates they are working at least 20 hours a week after school.  So for this day game it may be more than the cost of a ticket; it could also be lost wages.

Mike

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2012, 08:49:32 PM »

.......and already be at work.  Despite the dorms, we have a lot of commuters and i can say they work after school as I recruit SJU students for my firm and the resume of almost everyone indicates they are working at least 20 hours a week after school.  So for this day game it may be more than the cost of a ticket; it could also be lost wages.

Sorry but this lost wages is a bad excuse.

gman

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2012, 01:19:21 PM »
I went to a school that was largely commuters.  Very small percent lived on campus.  The frats and sororities were the real driving force behind filling the stands.  We competed with other organizations for tickets.  We earned points for going to soccer games, volleyball, softball, etc.  This gave the other teams on campus a lot of support.  People went nuts for the basketball games.  We had the first two rows when I was there and the entire lower level on one half of the area was basically frats and sororities.  Then another 1/4 of the lower level was the gang green, basically the student fan section for non-greeks.  Students basically filled half the arena.  I'm not sure how different the commuters are at SJU and UNCC, but filling the buts with students can be done.  The school needs to look at other schools and figure out what is working for them.

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2012, 10:31:08 PM »
Yeah, Conor, but what else is there to do in Charlotte?  ; )

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2012, 11:11:59 PM »

They are called "MVP points".

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2012, 11:16:55 PM »
Are single game tickets on sale yet?