Detroit Game

• 39 replies
Detroit Game
« on: September 14, 2012, 08:56:44 AM »
The Detroit game as part of the season opening 24 hour marathon televised by espn is a 2pm midweek game on a school and work day. This gives the on campus students a chance to come out in numbers as most of them will be right there on campus at game time. We hear that St. John's is still in large part a commuter school and students leave campus before week day night games but for this game that is not the case. Maybe the school and or professors could cancel class or at least excuse absences to attend the game excepting maybe if a test was scheduled or lab classes that would be hard to make up. Anyway it would be nice for once to see a LARGE student contingent at a St John's basketball game. What are the chances? I guess they would be better if we were ranked number 1 in the country pre-season as we were in the mid eighties when we ascended to the number 1 spot and there was a lot more student interest.

sju89tr

Re: Detroit Game
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 09:03:37 AM »
It's opening day, I would expect a sell out at CA

Poison

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 09:36:37 AM »

How do you sell out a 2pm mid week afternoon game in Queens?

sju89tr

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 09:40:48 AM »

I am sure that many students will attend and its obviously a smaller capacity than MSG

derk

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 09:44:56 AM »

I would suggest you tap into the 18,000 or so freaking students who may be in the general vicinity, and who give a rats ass about the game that brings more attention to their school then anything else.

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 09:49:28 AM »

I would suggest you tap into the 18,000 or so freaking students who may be in the general vicinity, and who give a rats ass about the game that brings more attention to their school then anything else.
Well said derk.

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
not trying to be funny, but it would surprise me if we get 3k fans at that game.

the only way for it to sell out is if the school makes a conscious effort to let the kids out of class to attend the game.

this is a nationally televised game, the school should do whatever it can to assure we look good on TV. Good national press continues to add to the brand Lavin is trying to build.

redslope

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 01:35:17 PM »
The biggest problem for non student season ticketholders is where are we going to park.  We have already decided to leave work at noon for the game.

Moose

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 01:58:37 PM »
The biggest problem for non student season ticketholders is where are we going to park.  We have already decided to leave work at noon for the game.

Great point
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 02:30:46 PM »

What do you suggest St.John's do that they haven't already tried before?

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 02:36:13 PM »
I would suggest free admission, a free t-shirt and a voucher for food at concession.  Get as many kids as possible to the first game and maybe they will return for future games.

sju89tr

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 02:45:49 PM »
I would suggest free admission, a free t-shirt and a voucher for food at concession.  Get as many kids as possible to the first game and maybe they will return for future games.

I agree, get them in the doors for free and feed them and hopefully some of them will decide to buy student season tickets. A big push needs to be done on campus to sell out this game for ESPN coverage.

Moose

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 03:03:03 PM »
As I've said numerous times.  Charge every student an 'activity fee of 100-150 bucks' on top of their tuition and then make admission free and first come first serve.

sju89tr

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 03:10:29 PM »
As I've said numerous times.  Charge every student an 'activity fee of 100-150 bucks' on top of their tuition and then make admission free and first come first serve.

That is the best idea possible.

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 03:12:26 PM »

back when i was there, i believe there was an "activity fee"

Poison

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 03:31:43 PM »
I was going to suggest an idea that involves socks and bars of soap but you guys would say it's too harsh.

Moose

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 03:48:01 PM »

back when i was there, i believe there was an "activity fee"

If there was then just bump it more.

LJSA

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 12:24:19 AM »
Free admission/beer to all women who attend the game wearing only a red bra and spandex pants. Horny guys will fill the rest of the seats.

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 01:44:16 PM »
there is still an activity fair. free games brings out students to the soccer games.

desco80

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 08:07:03 PM »
This is a big game, I'm not doubting that.. and I hope we have a great turnout.

But I think we make too big a deal of "nationally televised" games now.   It's 2012, half our games will be on ESPN,ESPN2, or ESPNu .. aka nationally televised. 
It's nice when you're on ESPN or CBS.. but a good showing by us in January against Cinncinnatti or Rutgers at 8pm probably draws just as many viewers even on ESPN2 or U... if not more, than our opener at 2pm on a Thursday will.