NY Post: Red Storm Lavin Life

• 69 replies
Re: NY Post: Red Storm Lavin Life
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2012, 11:21:08 PM »
No shortage of talent-including a jump shot? ???

Happy

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2012, 11:27:38 PM »
Only thing I would say is that I think Nuri is far more talented than the D-II/D-III level. He had some solid games early, and I remember Sean Miller going out of his way to praise Nuri after the Arizona loss. Nuri has D-I ability, and more than anyone I think that he was hurt by Lavs' absence. Sure he has holes in his game, especially the J, but under the right circumstances I think he could be a solid player on this level.

Nuri sucks.

How does a 6-3 guard his age not have a jump shot nor free throw shooting ability?!!

He has good footspeed, perhaps he should have played  a different sport, but he is not a high major starter, and has no NBA future

Nuri most definitely does NOT suck.  That kid couldn't handle it mentally but he has no shortage of talent.  I still think he's gonna be a very good player and hopefully he matures.

Agree 100%.  Kid can play and it just didn't work out here.  Wish him the best and let's move on.

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2012, 10:49:09 AM »
I was at the Arizona game last year and for stretches Nuri was the best player on the floor.  His ability to get to the basket and score was elite at the college level.  He had a bad attitude though and now he's gone.  Sometimes it takes kids awhile to mature and understand that people who are hard on them are actually trying to make them better.  I wish him the best and let's move on.

Poison

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2012, 12:19:55 PM »
I was at the Arizona game last year and for stretches Nuri was the best player on the floor.  His ability to get to the basket and score was elite at the college level.  He had a bad attitude though and now he's gone.  Sometimes it takes kids awhile to mature and understand that people who are hard on them are actually trying to make them better.  I wish him the best and let's move on.

He was figured out. Talented, yes, but he wasn't interest in making the appropriate adjustments. If he is able to make them, then yes, he will be a very good player, but he has a lot to work on, and he won't have a lot of help on his roster.

« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2012, 12:35:38 PM »
Agree Howie. That is the point I made with my earlier post. Sean Miller went out of his way to complement Nuri after that game. Sorry it didn't work out, but wish him luck.

« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2012, 06:55:31 PM »
Only thing I would say is that I think Nuri is far more talented than the D-II/D-III level. He had some solid games early, and I remember Sean Miller going out of his way to praise Nuri after the Arizona loss. Nuri has D-I ability, and more than anyone I think that he was hurt by Lavs' absence. Sure he has holes in his game, especially the J, but under the right circumstances I think he could be a solid player on this level.

Nuri sucks.

How does a 6-3 guard his age not have a jump shot nor free throw shooting ability?!!

He has good footspeed, perhaps he should have played  a different sport, but he is not a high major starter, and has no NBA future

Nuri most definitely does NOT suck.  That kid couldn't handle it mentally but he has no shortage of talent.  I still think he's gonna be a very good player and hopefully he matures.

Takes 3 steps back when guarding Nuri, and he sucks.

Same could have been said (and still can be to an extent) of Rondo...but he improved enough to warrant coverage. Nuro gets to the basket etremely well and hopefully can develop a sembalnce of a shot...just wasnt mentally tough enough to hang in...unfortunate be cause I believe he would have developed..perhaps to the detriment of ome of the other guys

Marillac

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »

Nuri sucks.

Same could have been said (and still can be to an extent) of Rondo...but he improved enough to warrant coverage. Nuro gets to the basket etremely well and hopefully can develop a sembalnce of a shot...just wasnt mentally tough enough to hang in...unfortunate be cause I believe he would have developed..perhaps to the detriment of ome of the other guys

Same could be said of Marco Balid the poster. 

Please never mention Nuri in the same sentence as Rondo.  Rondo was tearing up the NBA at the same age Nuri is now.  Rondo also possesses athleticism that Nuri could only dream of.  Nuri could get to the glass well--can't deny that--but he was nothing more than a very average athlete.  He had a good hesitation and used his yo-yo like rhythm to get past defender.  Nuri never took the step any good player HAS to take after high school:  to stop bulling into the lane.  I've never seen a kid called for more charges.  It's probalby the hardest thing to to adjust to in the college game, but Nuri had a year and a half of college to adjust.  He never did and I'm not sure if he ever will.  Forget the jumpshot...how about a jumpstop? 

boo3

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2012, 08:53:34 PM »

Nuri sucks.

Same could be said of Marco Balid the poster. 

Please never mention Nuri in the same sentence as Rondo.  Rondo was tearing up the NBA at the same age Nuri is now.  Rondo also possesses athleticism that Nuri could only dream of.  Nuri could get to the glass well--can't deny that--but he was nothing more than a very average athlete.  He had a good hesitation and used his yo-yo like rhythm to get past defender.  Nuri never took the step any good player HAS to take after high school:  to stop bulling into the lane.  I've never seen a kid called for more charges.  It's probalby the hardest thing to to adjust to in the college game, but Nuri had a year and a half of college to adjust.  He never did and I'm not sure if he ever will.  Forget the jumpshot...how about a jumpstop?

Rondo was a tremendous defensive player as well. 

Poison

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2012, 08:56:06 PM »
Rondo was and is a leader. That is Nuri's greatest flaw. 5 cent head.

crgreen

« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2012, 07:04:50 PM »
One of the things that got me in trouble on Bruin boards a decade ago in defending Coach Lavin's record, was pointing out that you have to give a young coach time.   And I used another young coach as a comparison - kid named Kzyzewski.   Head coach at  Army, then took over a Duke team in 1980 that returned Gene Banks, Vince Taylor and Kenny Denard, and had been to the Final Four in 1978 under Bill Foster.

Thought it would be interesting to update that comparison.

Heading into this season, after 8 full seasons as a head coach Steve Lavin is 166-90, with 7 NCAA appearances, 5 Sweet 16s and one Elite 8. 

After HIS first 8 seasons as a head coach, Mike Krzyzewski was  111-106, and had never reached the NCAA tourney, 3 years into taking over a Duke team only 2 years removed from Bill Foster taking it to the  Final Four.   I thought that made the K/Lavin comparison more viable, as Lavin took over a Bruin team 2 years removed from a National title...

Want a weird stat?  Both K and Lavin won only 10 games in their 7th seasons.   Of course, those 10 wins got Lavin fired, but when he returned to coaching, he followed that year with 21 wins in his 8th season, and was back in the dance for the 7th time.   K followed up HIS 10 win season with... an 11 win season in his 8th year - which NEARLY got him fired.   He wasn't, and we know what he produced over the ensuing 30 years (but even at THAT point he was still 8 more seasons away from a national championship).

Ther comparison was never meant as a prediction.  I originally posted it just as an argument for giving a young coach  (who I felt was putting up an exceptional record) TIME to mature, learn, and improve.