NY Post: Red Storm Lavin Life

• 69 replies

desco80

Re: NY Post: Red Storm Lavin Life
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 08:59:12 PM »
I agree, they are different situations.

But, in some ways I think Stith was the worse of the two.   

Nuri came in, played half a season and didn't like his situation here.   Didn't like the coaching staff, and didn't like how he was being featured in the offense.   He decided to transfer after first semester.   I actually don't really have a problem with that.   People do that in every sport, nobody blames a qb who transfer after his freshman year because he can play more somewhere else.  Or, because he doesn't like the offense they run. 
Nuri's situation was complicated by the fact that we only had six guys though.   When you factor that in, I do think it looks like he let his teammates down a little bit. 
But still, he has to make the decision thats right for him.    He didn't drag things out.   He just moved on.

Stith was a junior.   This was his third year of college basketball, and second with Lavin as a head coach.   Coach had already advised him after 2010 that he might want to look for a fresh start somewhere else, and coach would support him if he did that.    Stith decided to come back.   And from all accounts worked hard and was a good influence on the new guys.   Even if he got frustrated because he wasn't playing as much as he'd like, which would be understandable, he still left the team in the middle of spring semester.    He had a better idea of what he was getting into, was told he'd probably have a limited role, and left in the middle of a semester.

Unless there was a personal or family issue, that seems to me like he let his teammates down more.  I would bet if you asked Dom and D'angelo, they can probably understand a guy transferring after first semester.   They might not like it, they might not even like Nuri.   But guys transfer if the situation isn't right for them.   People are finicky.    To me you're more of a quitter when you leave in the middle of Big East play when the team is struggling and there's only 6 guys on scholarship.   

Different perspective, I know.   But that's how I see it.   

Care to expound? David McCullough has nothing on you. Kidding!

I get carried away, I know.  Sorry bout that Paul!    8)

And Yanker you make a good point - I don't know the whole story either, so it's unfair for me to label Stith as more of a quitter. 
From the outside, I just felt like he knew what he was getting in to last season.   I have a little more understanding for guys who transfer after a semester. 
Doesn't mean I think Stith was a bad guy, or Nuri's somebody I would want to hang with.   

Anyway, that's just how I saw it.    Moving on..

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2012, 09:57:26 AM »
Like everything else there is a clear double standard here. Nuri had high expectations, showed some flashes and then left the team so he is a "quitter". Stith stunk, but worked hard had a cute nickname so the fact that he left in the middle of a season leaving only 6 scholie players is overlooked. If one is a quitter then they both are! Like death an virginity, quitting is all in or all out. There is no real gray area.

As far as I am concerned since college coaches can get up and leave with no repercussions, I don't have a problem with kids leaving. I just think it is funny that you are branding one kid something and not the other more likeable one.

kjd01067

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2012, 10:35:08 AM »
Like everything else there is a clear double standard here. Nuri had high expectations, showed some flashes and then left the team so he is a "quitter". Stith stunk, but worked hard had a cute nickname so the fact that he left in the middle of a season leaving only 6 scholie players is overlooked. If one is a quitter then they both are! Like death an virginity, quitting is all in or all out. There is no real gray area.

As far as I am concerned since college coaches can get up and leave with no repercussions, I don't have a problem with kids leaving. I just think it is funny that you are branding one kid something and not the other more likeable one.

Agreed. Same thing has happened with Branch. Hopefully no one quits this year

DFF6

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2012, 10:47:51 AM »

I'd rather have a disgruntled kid, who can't or won't get with the program, transfer out mid season, than stay on only to hurt team chemistry.  Not every marriage works.

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2012, 10:58:34 AM »

After seeing them both perform neither should have been here.  Stith was a D2/3 talent and Nuri was a legend in his own mind with no shot whatsoever.  Bad calls by two coaches IMO.  Still, that doesn't excuse leaving in mid-season.  Nuri was playing and showed himself to be a PIA going forward.  He'd best be on his best behavior from here on if he has any aspirations in the sport.  I blame Stith on Norm and I've said many times that he may have survived with a decent PG instead.  The last thing we needed was two Maliks on the same team.  He was also not creative enough to use Hardy as Lavin did.  The positives are that we got rid of a lousy coach and a recalcitrant player in the bargain as a result.

kjd01067

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2012, 11:10:02 AM »

I'd rather have a disgruntled kid, who can't or won't get with the program, transfer out mid season, than stay on only to hurt team chemistry.  Not every marriage works.

I don't necessarily disagree.  All I am saying is if you're going to call someone a quitter be fair about it.  Stith, Nuri and Branch all quit on their teams last year.  Each situation is different and justifications can be made for all, but that doesn't change the fact that they quit. To call one a quitter and say another simply sought a better situation is unfair.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:45:41 AM by kjd01067 »

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2012, 11:26:19 AM »
Each situation is different and justifications can be made for all, but that doesn't change the fact that they quit. To call one a quitter and say another simply sought a better situation is unfair.

Was my point as well

DFF6

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2012, 11:27:55 AM »

I don't necessarily disagree.  All I am saying if you're going to call someone a quitter be fair about it.  Stith, Nuri and Branch all quit on their teams last year.  Each situation is different and justifications can be made for all, but that doesn't change the fact that they quit. To call one a quitter and say another simply sought a better situation is unfair.

Totally agree.  Just because we benefit from one kid quitting his team, and get burned when one of our kids quit, doesn't change the fact that both kids quit their respective teams.

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2012, 12:22:16 PM »
by that logic, no one should ever quit or change their jobs...even if its not a good fit, or they have a better opportunity elsewhere.  also, what about transfers coming in to the program.  are they quitters also?  wives should stay married even if their husbands beat them.  i don't think you can paint everybody with the same brush.

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2012, 01:26:34 PM »

After seeing them both perform neither should have been here.  Stith was a D2/3 talent and Nuri was a legend in his own mind with no shot whatsoever.  Bad calls by two coaches IMO.  Still, that doesn't excuse leaving in mid-season.  Nuri was playing and showed himself to be a PIA going forward.  He'd best be on his best behavior from here on if he has any aspirations in the sport.  I blame Stith on Norm and I've said many times that he may have survived with a decent PG instead.  The last thing we needed was two Maliks on the same team.  He was also not creative enough to use Hardy as Lavin did.  The positives are that we got rid of a lousy coach and a recalcitrant player in the bargain as a result.
WOW! Agree with every word!

kjd01067

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2012, 01:44:21 PM »
by that logic, no one should ever quit or change their jobs...even if its not a good fit, or they have a better opportunity elsewhere.  also, what about transfers coming in to the program.  are they quitters also?  wives should stay married even if their husbands beat them.  i don't think you can paint everybody with the same brush.

You aren't very good at logic. When did I ever say that quitting is never justified?  Once again I said it is unfair to label one person a quitter because it hurts you and then say another person is just looking for a better situation and not a quitter if it benefits you. 

desco80

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2012, 02:21:31 PM »

I don't necessarily disagree.  All I am saying is if you're going to call someone a quitter be fair about it.  Stith, Nuri and Branch all quit on their teams last year.  Each situation is different and justifications can be made for all, but that doesn't change the fact that they quit. To call one a quitter and say another simply sought a better situation is unfair.

Absolutely true

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2012, 02:35:02 PM »
Only thing I would say is that I think Nuri is far more talented than the D-II/D-III level. He had some solid games early, and I remember Sean Miller going out of his way to praise Nuri after the Arizona loss. Nuri has D-I ability, and more than anyone I think that he was hurt by Lavs' absence. Sure he has holes in his game, especially the J, but under the right circumstances I think he could be a solid player on this level.

uwsfan

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2012, 03:18:05 PM »
Only thing I would say is that I think Nuri is far more talented than the D-II/D-III level. He had some solid games early, and I remember Sean Miller going out of his way to praise Nuri after the Arizona loss. Nuri has D-I ability, and more than anyone I think that he was hurt by Lavs' absence. Sure he has holes in his game, especially the J, but under the right circumstances I think he could be a solid player on this level.

Nuri sucks.

How does a 6-3 guard his age not have a jump shot nor free throw shooting ability?!!

He has good footspeed, perhaps he should have played  a different sport, but he is not a high major starter, and has no NBA future

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2012, 07:28:04 PM »

Nuri sucks.

How does a 6-3 guard his age not have a jump shot nor free throw shooting ability?!!

He has good footspeed, perhaps he should have played  a different sport, but he is not a high major starter, and has no NBA future

Nuri certainly doesn't suck

Poison

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2012, 07:42:25 PM »
Nuri is Darryl Hill with no jump shot, and no self respect.

Marillac

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2012, 11:06:24 PM »

Not even close.  Branch committed to a different coach and stayed committed to his new coach.  The new coach hired the father of a stud player, Reese, at the same position.  Reese is flatout awesome.  How can Branch get a fair shake when his coach's son plays the same position? 

Nuri heard foot steps...they belonged to Phil Greeene.  People seem to forget that Greene overtook Nuri as the starter before Nuri left. 

Tiznow

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2012, 12:25:49 AM »
If I may add, I was at the Detroit game, Nuri was terrible at Kentucky but Dunlap stayed with him, In Detroit, he was yanked each time he made a critical mistake and the rest of the team looked at him several times after a TO to see what the hell he was doing. I just don't he was ready to play for a coach like Dunlap or in our offense.

As for Stith, he was never a Big East player and had we had a full roster he would have been at end of the bench not playing. Let's not forget he also got benched for grades I think. It was the usual Norm recruit of a kid meant to play at a
school such as UNC Asheville.

Stith worked extremely hard though and shouldn't be bad mouthed. 

With all due respect to Stith, he isn't UNC Ashville material either.

At least he was much better than ASU material 23 months ago.

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2012, 09:46:23 PM »

Nuri sucks.

Nuri most definitely does NOT suck.  That kid couldn't handle it mentally but he has no shortage of talent.  I still think he's gonna be a very good player and hopefully he matures.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2012, 10:27:15 PM »

Nuri sucks.

Nuri most definitely does NOT suck.  That kid couldn't handle it mentally but he has no shortage of talent.  I still think he's gonna be a very good player and hopefully he matures.

Takes 3 steps back when guarding Nuri, and he sucks.