NY Post: Red Storm Lavin Life

• 69 replies
Re: NY Post: Red Storm Lavin Life
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 12:21:48 PM »
We knew the players had a rough time with his coaching style. That's not news. Still, it says a lot about your make up, if you quit. At least Stith stuck it out for 2/3 of the season. Lindsey was really a child about it.

Never realized there were levels of quitting or did you just invent this concept. How does it work? Nuri was a level 1 quitter and Stith a level 2? What happens if someone quit before the season what level would that be? I think you are really on to something here though. See I always thought quitting was quitting. Sort of like being dead or a virgin. Basically you are or you are not.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
We knew the players had a rough time with his coaching style. That's not news. Still, it says a lot about your make up, if you quit. At least Stith stuck it out for 2/3 of the season. Lindsey was really a child about it.

Nuri was a level 1 quitter and Stith a level 2?

Exactly

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 12:32:49 PM »
attended several jarvi$ coaching clinics.  he was a bore.  he quit i believe after he had ewing in high school.

desco80

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 02:51:41 PM »
Not really surprised about Dom's comments.   You can respect a coach, and know he's good at what he does, and still think the guy is a pain in the a$$.   
Sometimes that's what you need.   

Strahan loves Tom Coughlin now, but I'm sure he can sit back and tell you stories about times coach Coughlin drove him crazy.   

To me, butting heads with one of your coaches, is the type of thing that happens all the time when you're "in the trenches".    And I think coaches understand that too.    Respect is the more important part of the relationship.    Things happen, guys get pissed and walk off at practice, or throw something in the lockerroom after a game.    But, if the coach and player respect each other, then they show up at practice the next morning, put it behind them and move on. 

I see nothing from his comments that make me think anything less of Dom or coach Dunlap.   

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 03:14:59 PM »

Exactly
totally different scenario from what i could tell.  when coach came in he indicated to stith that he may not get playing time, but stith insisted that he wanted to stay, work like an animal to improve his game, and earned coach's respect.  unfortunately, he just wasn't as good as the talent coming in.  but he gave it his best shot.  nothing wrong with a kid wanting playing time, and leaving for a school where he can get a chance to play.

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 04:01:53 PM »
are you kidding?  he was branded by lavs as a navy seal.....way onto an elite status as far as effort and discipline...then he quitt a depleted team.

ras

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 04:16:07 PM »

Exactly
totally different scenario from what i could tell.  when coach came in he indicated to stith that he may not get playing time, but stith insisted that he wanted to stay, work like an animal to improve his game, and earned coach's respect.  unfortunately, he just wasn't as good as the talent coming in.  but he gave it his best shot.  nothing wrong with a kid wanting playing time, and leaving for a school where he can get a chance to play.
There is something wrong w leaving a team w 7 total players midyear.

MCNPA

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 04:20:32 PM »
are you kidding?  he was branded by lavs as a navy seal.....way onto an elite status as far as effort and discipline...then he quitt a depleted team.

Maybe Lavin thought the kid had more in him than that early season.  There are kids that surprise and disappoint.  Doesn't mean the kid didn't work hard in his time here.  At some point, I guess he just had enough.  It was the right move for Stith to leave, but would have been better for the team if he waited out the season.  He made a decision, that's it.  Lavin's excitement about Jones is palpable though, and based on his performance thus far, not just work ethic.  No doubt he has Big East size, strength and athleticism.  The rest we don't now about.  Good sign that Lavin is as excited as he is.  We need strength up front.

Poison

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 04:26:31 PM »
At the first sign of difficulty, Lindsey quit. It is completely obvious that he is soft upstairs. Stith, played himself out of a starting position for several years in a row. He realized at a certain point, that playing at this level was pointless, and he was right. When he quit, what did we miss? He wasn't helping us in any way. Actually, he did nothing well.

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 04:26:57 PM »
when he was there, he took the kids under his wing.  they called him pops, if i'm not mistaken.  i got the impression that the kid wanted to play for st. johns.  he made that clear in a meeting with coach.  but even with seven guys, he didn't see the floor.  he had to be disappointed with that.  i even felt for that kid.  i'm not saying there's a villian here.  he wasn't good enough to play on this team.  so he went somewhere else to play.  a decision that coach was suggesting at the beginning of the year.  freed up a ship.  win win for everyone.  no biggie.  nurideen...completely different story.

desco80

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 05:03:02 PM »
I agree, they are different situations.

But, in some ways I think Stith was the worse of the two.   

Nuri came in, played half a season and didn't like his situation here.   Didn't like the coaching staff, and didn't like how he was being featured in the offense.   He decided to transfer after first semester.   I actually don't really have a problem with that.   People do that in every sport, nobody blames a qb who transfer after his freshman year because he can play more somewhere else.  Or, because he doesn't like the offense they run. 
Nuri's situation was complicated by the fact that we only had six guys though.   When you factor that in, I do think it looks like he let his teammates down a little bit. 
But still, he has to make the decision thats right for him.    He didn't drag things out.   He just moved on.

Stith was a junior.   This was his third year of college basketball, and second with Lavin as a head coach.   Coach had already advised him after 2010 that he might want to look for a fresh start somewhere else, and coach would support him if he did that.    Stith decided to come back.   And from all accounts worked hard and was a good influence on the new guys.   Even if he got frustrated because he wasn't playing as much as he'd like, which would be understandable, he still left the team in the middle of spring semester.    He had a better idea of what he was getting into, was told he'd probably have a limited role, and left in the middle of a semester.

Unless there was a personal or family issue, that seems to me like he let his teammates down more.  I would bet if you asked Dom and D'angelo, they can probably understand a guy transferring after first semester.   They might not like it, they might not even like Nuri.   But guys transfer if the situation isn't right for them.   People are finicky.    To me you're more of a quitter when you leave in the middle of Big East play when the team is struggling and there's only 6 guys on scholarship.   

Different perspective, I know.   But that's how I see it.   

paultzman

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 05:14:57 PM »

Nuri came in, played half a season and didn't like his situation here.   Didn't like the coaching staff, and didn't like how he was being featured in the offense.   He decided to transfer after first semester.   I actually don't really have a problem with that.   People do that in every sport, nobody blames a qb who transfer after his freshman year because he can play more somewhere else.  Or, because he doesn't like the offense they run. 
Nuri's situation was complicated by the fact that we only had six guys though.   When you factor that in, I do think it looks like he let his teammates down a little bit. 
But still, he has to make the decision thats right for him.    He didn't drag things out.   He just moved on.

Stith was a junior.   This was his third year of college basketball, and second with Lavin as a head coach.   Coach had already advised him after 2010 that he might want to look for a fresh start somewhere else, and coach would support him if he did that.    Stith decided to come back.   And from all accounts worked hard and was a good influence on the new guys.   Even if he got frustrated because he wasn't playing as much as he'd like, which would be understandable, he still left the team in the middle of spring semester.    He had a better idea of what he was getting into, was told he'd probably have a limited role, and left in the middle of a semester.

Unless there was a personal or family issue, that seems to me like he let his teammates down more.  I would bet if you asked Dom and D'angelo, they can probably understand a guy transferring after first semester.   They might not like it, they might not even like Nuri.   But guys transfer if the situation isn't right for them.   People are finicky.    To me you're more of a quitter when you leave in the middle of Big East play when the team is struggling and there's only 6 guys on scholarship.   

Care to expound? David McCullough has nothing on you. Kidding!

Poison

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 05:50:59 PM »

Nuri was the problem with the offense. While he has tremendous talent in certain areas, his game is still massively flawed. You can't dribble into traffic no matter what. You would think that is taught is the 3rd grade. When that was pointed out to him, he didn't like it. He probably didn't like the tone it was delivered in too. A coach isn't your buddy. He's not there to hang out with you. I don't know or care who coaches Rider, but he better be one big vag, or Nuri isn't going to last 5 games.

Stith doesn't have any talent. He can't dribble by anyone. He can't play defense. He can't make free throws. He can't rebound. He can't pass very well.
He tried. It wasn't happening for him at the BE level. Actually, it wasn't helping him to play the cup cakes either. He was overmatched vs them as well. I like Stith. I don't care of how he left the team, but he probably knew full well, that they could replace him with anyone on the practice squad, and the talent level wouldn't drop one bit.

sju89tr

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2012, 06:50:58 PM »
If I may add, I was at the Detroit game, Nuri was terrible at Kentucky but Dunlap stayed with him, In Detroit, he was yanked each time he made a critical mistake and the rest of the team looked at him several times after a TO to see what the hell he was doing. I just don't he was ready to play for a coach like Dunlap or in our offense.

As for Stith, he was never a Big East player and had we had a full roster he would have been at end of the bench not playing. Let's not forget he also got benched for grades I think. It was the usual Norm recruit of a kid meant to play at a school such as UNC Asheville.

Stith worked extremely hard though and shouldn't be bad mouthed. 

Poison

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 07:00:43 PM »
If I may add, I was at the Detroit game, Nuri was terrible at Kentucky but Dunlap stayed with him, In Detroit, he was yanked each time he made a critical mistake and the rest of the team looked at him several times after a TO to see what the hell he was doing. I just don't he was ready to play for a coach like Dunlap or in our offense.

As for Stith, he was never a Big East player and had we had a full roster he would have been at end of the bench not playing. Let's not forget he also got benched for grades I think. It was the usual Norm recruit of a kid meant to play at a
school such as UNC Asheville.

With all due respect to Stith, he isn't UNC Ashville material either.

sju89tr

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2012, 07:21:59 PM »

As for Stith, he was never a Big East player and had we had a full roster he would have been at end of the bench not playing. Let's not forget he also got benched for grades I think. It was the usual Norm recruit of a kid meant to play at a

I think he is Div 1. There is a real difference between Div 1 and Div 2, trust me.

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2012, 07:33:46 PM »

He'll be fine there. He was in way in over his head at St. John's, but he should provide valuable minutes for Ashville.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 07:34:04 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2012, 07:37:33 PM »

Care to expound? David McCullough has nothing on you. Kidding!

While I'm not going to get into what their teammates thought Nuri transferred when he did to ensure he got back on the court with another team and another coach as soon as he could.  Stith quit when he did for what reason?  If it wasn't personal issues or grades then what was it.  If he played it out or not he still wasn't getting on a court any sooner.  I like what the kid represented as far as effort so I prefer to think that there were underlying reasons for the mid second semester decision.  But it was never explicitly stated why he left and then wanted to still sit on the bench.

MCNPA

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2012, 07:38:31 PM »
Didn't they get screwed out of beating a very good Cuse team last year in the tourney??  Stith will get backup minutes at Asheville too if that is the case, but I think they lost some talent to grad.

sju89tr

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2012, 08:08:56 PM »
Didn't they get screwed out of beating a very good Cuse team last year in the tourney??  Stith will get backup minutes at Asheville too if that is the case, but I think they lost some talent to grad.

He went to a DII in West Virginia. I was just using Asheville as an example, and yes they got screwed last year big time vs. Cuse