• 53 replies
Re: Starting Line up 13-14
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2013, 02:20:57 PM »
G- Branch
G- Jordan
F- Pointer
F- Sampson
F- Sanchez

Bring Harrison off the bench as a JR Smith type of player and start Obekpa over Pointer if our opponent has a bigger lineup.

IMO I dont think there is anyway that both D'lo and Phil dont start.

I dont like D'lo off the bench. The pro game is different and allows for more time and shot opportunities for everyone. Having said that I think he will come off the bench to start the season, mostly because of his suspension, the quotes he had about possibly not starting, and Lavs love for Phil.

Rysheed
Phil
Dom
Jakarr
Orlando

The reason I don't like D'Lo starting is sometimes he takes silly shots very early in the game (shooting a 3 off the opening tip) and that kind of sets the tone for our offense.  If we can establish a nice offensive flow off the bat with playmakers like Branch and Jordan in there then Harrison can slide in and play within the system effectively instead of feeling the burden of being the guy.  I'd still give him 30 minutes a game but I'd prefer it be off the bench.  But yeah, Lavin does seem to have a Phil Greene fetish so who knows.

You guys need to let that Harrison shot off the tip go.  I thought it was a fantastic shot.  Anytime that kid gets an open, set shot...it's a good shot.  We had one of the worst halfcourt teams in the COUNTRY.  Only Harrison shot over 30% from three.  Don't think for a second the staff hasn't engrained it in Harrison's mind to shoot without hesitation anytime he gets an open look.  I think pullup treys in secondary transition will become a big part of his arsenal...just like it has for countless other stars.

Harrison has to start and play 30 mpg IMO.  You really never now with Lavin, but I think the starters will be:

Branch
Harrison
Pointer
Sampson
Sanchez

Maybe Branch was guaranteed a starting spot by coach?  I know I probably would have.  Greene will likely start when we run smaller lineups, and could even beat out Branch to start alongside Harrison.  I think it is fairly safe to say that Obekpa will come off the bench.  He's has the maturity and ability to make an immediate impact that you look for in a sub.

Open transition 3s are fine.   Especially if you have a teammate in position to rebound.  That's a good shot, Dlo should fire away.  But some of his other shot selections were scary. 
People overrate Harrison's shooting ability.   The comparisons to Mullin last year were absurd.   He's not even Russ Smith or Cotton, let alone Chris Mullin. 
We talk about him like he's a lethal shooter.  He's not.
He's a good shooter, and he's also a crafty scorer in the midrange, and very good at getting to the foul line.

Harrison is a better scorer than he is pure shooter.   But since day 1 our fans have treated him like a great shooter, and he's not.   Weren't you the one who pointed out his "push shot" Marillac?

Think it was WASJU who brought up the push shot.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2013, 02:25:23 PM »
G- Branch
G- Jordan
F- Pointer
F- Sampson
F- Sanchez

Bring Harrison off the bench as a JR Smith type of player and start Obekpa over Pointer if our opponent has a bigger lineup.

I dont like D'lo off the bench. The pro game is different and allows for more time and shot opportunities for everyone. Having said that I think he will come off the bench to start the season, mostly because of his suspension, the quotes he had about possibly not starting, and Lavs love for Phil.

Rysheed
Phil
Dom
Jakarr
Orlando

The reason I don't like D'Lo starting is sometimes he takes silly shots very early in the game (shooting a 3 off the opening tip) and that kind of sets the tone for our offense.  If we can establish a nice offensive flow off the bat with playmakers like Branch and Jordan in there then Harrison can slide in and play within the system effectively instead of feeling the burden of being the guy.  I'd still give him 30 minutes a game but I'd prefer it be off the bench.  But yeah, Lavin does seem to have a Phil Greene fetish so who knows.

You guys need to let that Harrison shot off the tip go.  I thought it was a fantastic shot.  Anytime that kid gets an open, set shot...it's a good shot.  We had one of the worst halfcourt teams in the COUNTRY.  Only Harrison shot over 30% from three.  Don't think for a second the staff hasn't engrained it in Harrison's mind to shoot without hesitation anytime he gets an open look.  I think pullup treys in secondary transition will become a big part of his arsenal...just like it has for countless other stars.

Harrison has to start and play 30 mpg IMO.  You really never now with Lavin, but I think the starters will be:

Branch
Harrison
Pointer
Sampson
Sanchez

Maybe Branch was guaranteed a starting spot by coach?  I know I probably would have.  Greene will likely start when we run smaller lineups, and could even beat out Branch to start alongside Harrison.  I think it is fairly safe to say that Obekpa will come off the bench.  He's has the maturity and ability to make an immediate impact that you look for in a sub.

Open transition 3s are fine.   Especially if you have a teammate in position to rebound.  That's a good shot, Dlo should fire away.  But some of his other shot selections were scary. 
People overrate Harrison's shooting ability.   The comparisons to Mullin last year were absurd.   He's not even Russ Smith or Cotton, let alone Chris Mullin. 
He's a good shooter, and he's also a crafty scorer in the midrange, and very good at getting to the foul line.

Harrison is a better scorer than he is pure shooter.   But since day 1 our fans have treated him like a great shooter, and he's not.   Weren't you the one who pointed out his "push shot" Marillac?

That would be WASJU.  I commented that I've see similar shots from other Texas players like Reese.  I think he has as good of a shot as anyone out there when he can get the puppies set.  He runs into problems when he tries to force things and take contested shots.  He had to, though.  If he didn't score, we were screwed. 

Anytime he's open, I want him to fire away.  The problem is that he doens't have the quickness to separate from defenders regularly when he's the focal point.  More options will change that.  We go as far as he takes us.

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2013, 02:32:14 PM »
It is funny I got killed for Push shot quotes, yet I am a big Harrison fan. In fact I was one of his biggest defenders. He shoots more of a push shot than jumper, but he gets it off pretty quickly. He is a good offensive basketball player who can hit an outside shot, but he is not a great shooter.

desco80

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2013, 03:32:19 PM »
It is funny I got killed for Push shot quotes, yet I am a big Harrison fan. In fact I was one of his biggest defenders. He shoots more of a push shot than jumper, but he gets it off pretty quickly. He is a good offensive basketball player who can hit an outside shot, but he is not a great shooter.

I think that's pretty accurate.   Good offensive player, not necessarily a great shooter.  We see how slow he is sometimes and probably under appreciate his ability to turn the corner and get fouled when he drives.  And we seem to overestimate his shooting. 
And Marillac, he has his feet set at the foul line, no?

boo3

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2013, 03:34:55 PM »
  Who are all these people over estimating D-Lo's shooting?  I don't remember anyone comparing him to Mullin.   You are what your percentage says you are..
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 03:55:05 PM by boo3 »

Poison

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »
  Who are all these people over estimating D-Lo's shooting?  I've don't remember anyone comparing him to Mullin.   You are what your percentage says you are..

I think DLo really has a flare for the dramatic. He hit a lot of big shots last year.

MCNPA

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2013, 04:39:40 PM »
G- Branch
G- Jordan
F- Pointer
F- Sampson
F- Sanchez

Rysheed
Phil
Dom
Jakarr
Orlando

Branch
Harrison
Pointer
Sampson
Sanchez

Think it was WASJU who brought up the push shot.

Kid doesn't have a "push shot".  Not in the least.  Ingram had a push shot.  D'Angelo is a very good shooter when he takes good shots.

D'Angelo Harrison mix

Moose

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2013, 10:35:21 PM »
No truth to the rumor that I made that mixtape ;)
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2013, 10:44:14 PM »
  Who are all these people over estimating D-Lo's shooting?  I don't remember anyone comparing him to Mullin.   You are what your percentage says you are..

I remember there being comparisons early in the year.  To the point that Mullin addressed it when he announced our game v Detroit. 
In fairness though, it may not have been people on here, it could have been Hoops or Rubin or somebody like that. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:44:25 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2013, 11:17:06 AM »
I predict not only does this happen but even Carmine turns on him.

Never!

Triangle
3'lo
Sir
Jakarr
Obekpa

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2013, 11:19:44 AM »
Who here thinks Phil was our best player?

Harrison was our best player.  Once he got suspended,  Jakarr or the Square were our best players on most nights.

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2013, 12:28:38 PM »

Harrison was our best player.  Once he got suspended,  Jakarr or the Square were our best players on most nights.

If he's the square who's the triangle?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2013, 11:23:02 PM »

I started referring to Phil as random geometric shapes to poke fun at last seasons popular "circle" moniker.

Moose

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2013, 11:27:08 PM »

I started referring to Phil as random geometric shapes to poke fun at last seasons popular "circle" moniker.

We need a cheat sheet for all your nicknames and monikers
Remember who broke the Slice news