Starting Line up 13-14

• 53 replies

derk

Re: Starting Line up 13-14
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 10:08:18 AM »
We know coach experiments during the beginning of the year so we'll see several starting lineups before he settles in to the BE run.

1St Game - Greene, D'Lo, Sir, Sampson, Sanchez.
1St BE Game - Jordan, D'Lo, Sir, Sampson, Sanchez.

Coach will use the experienced guys to start out. We will see many combinations during the games for both scenarios. It will be interesting to see if Greene or Branch is the first guard off the bench. Glad we have a European trip to sort some of these things out.

boo3

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 10:25:34 AM »
We know coach experiments during the beginning of the year so we'll see several starting lineups before he settles in to the BE run.

1St Game - Greene, D'Lo, Sir, Sampson, Sanchez.
1St BE Game - Jordan, D'Lo, Sir, Sampson, Sanchez.

Coach will use the experienced guys to start out. We will see many combinations during the games for both scenarios. It will be interesting to see if Greene or Branch is the first guard off the bench. Glad we have a European trip to sort some of these things out.

Good point.. I agree. SL tinkers a bunch in the beginning of the season before settling on a lineup..

I agree with the philosophy that it is not who starts the games, rather, who is on the court at the end of games.

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 10:43:26 AM »
Branch
Jordan
Harrison
Sanchez
CO
How can he not start Sampson? I too, like Jorden,DLO,Pointer,Sampson,and Sanchez. This is a quality problem for a change ,that the Dukes and Kentucky have every year. We have a lot of talent.

Whoops, meant Sampson not Harrison

Honestly if it was between the two I'd rather D'lo start and JaKarr be the 6th man. Think he could handle it better than Dlo, but I don't think it will happen.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 10:53:28 AM »
Starting lineup is totally unimportant.  We have the depth and talent to have two starting lineups.  More importantly, we need to utilize our depth so we can all-out defend all e, every game. 

We can run big lineups, small lineups, 3-guard lineups, and everything in between. 

desco80

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 11:18:29 AM »
And Fwiw here's my opening lineup:

Jordan
Harrison
Dom
Sampson
Sanchez

I'd rather Branch start, but I'd be pretty shocked if Rysheed wasn't promised the opportunity to start.   And at least initially hell be given that chance IMO.

That's my starting lineup as well.   But Jordan would start for a different reason - simply because he had beat other PG options out during the pre-season.  Not because he was promised anything.   He's for sure the most athletic PG we have, and it seems like his passing is good as well.  His ability to get into the lane and either dish or get fouled is greatly needed.   It seems simply, that he is the best option.  It's basically his talent vs. others' experience.   I hope the talent wins out.

I don't think that's out of the question, Jordan could Definately earn it.   I just think in this day and age guys at his level don't sign unless the coach tells them the job is theirs to lose.

But I hope he does prove to be our best pg, and just runs with it ya know? 

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 11:18:39 AM »
We seem to have depth. Normally a good thing but you can really only play 8 guys consistently in college and I am concerned with Lavin having to do too much thinking.

SJUFAN

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 11:54:52 AM »
And Fwiw here's my opening lineup:

Jordan
Harrison
Dom
Sampson
Sanchez

I'd rather Branch start, but I'd be pretty shocked if Rysheed wasn't promised the opportunity to start.   And at least initially hell be given that chance IMO.

That's my starting lineup as well.   But Jordan would start for a different reason - simply because he had beat other PG options out during the pre-season.  Not because he was promised anything.   He's for sure the most athletic PG we have, and it seems like his passing is good as well.  His ability to get into the lane and either dish or get fouled is greatly needed.   It seems simply, that he is the best option.  It's basically his talent vs. others' experience.   I hope the talent wins out.

I don't think that's out of the question, Jordan could Definately earn it.   I just think in this day and age guys at his level don't sign unless the coach tells them the job is theirs to lose.

But I hope he does prove to be our best pg, and just runs with it ya know?

Most respectable coaches at respectable programs only go as far as stating that the opportunity to start will be available but they will have to earn it. As talented as Jordan is, he is not going to dominate at this level the way he did in HS as a freshman. Branch and Greene are stronger, more experienced, and better defenders than he is. Coaches put a premium on defense. I wouldn't be surprised if he and D'Lo comes off the bench to start the season.

ras

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 12:19:05 PM »
Should be:
Sanchez
Sampson
Pointer
Harrison
Jordan

Will be:
Sanchez
Sampson
Harrison
Greene
Jordan
You have a legitimate point considering Lavins love affair w Greene. Hopefully coach will take off his blinders and start the best 5 players for the team.. If Phil earns it,so be it. But I dont know how Lavin justified giving Greene the most minutes this year. By the way when I was typing in my starting 5, which is the same as yours, I thaught about Lavin starting Greene.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 02:01:08 PM by ras »

boo3

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 12:20:23 PM »
 I think Dom's versatility lends itself perfectly to becoming a top-notch 6th man.  He can play 3 or 4 positions.  He, Greene, and CO will be first off bench.

Greene very well may start in a three guard lineup with Jordan and Harrison. If Greene shoots the ball 10x a game rather 17x a game, then he will be much more efficient. I think he will have a great year in a new , more defined role.  Haters be damned!  :)

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 12:34:54 PM »
Poor Phil is going to get slaughtered here next year when he is still shooting 3-13 on a more talented team. I predict not only does this happen but even Carmine turns on him. You have to be pretty stubborn to keep doing something that is clearly not working. Phil has shot 35% for two years shooting jumpers despite the fact that he can't shoot. He will not be deterred by Sanchez or Jordan's arrival.

bk8664

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2013, 12:39:48 PM »
Poor Phil is going to get slaughtered here next year when he is still shooting 3-13 on a more talented team. I predict not only does this happen but even Carmine turns on him. You have to be pretty stubborn to keep doing something that is clearly not working. Phil has shot 35% for two years shooting jumpers despite the fact that he can't shoot. He will not be deterred by Sanchez or Jordan's arrival.

I wouldn't say that.  I'm not turning on him.  He's got Big East caliber athleticism.  He's shown heart, especially playing hurt.  He'll hopefully be more efficient shooting the ball going forward because we have more options on offense - actually the goal is to make everyone more efficient on offense; and that goes for Phil, Dom, D'Angelo etc - from top to bottom.  The goal is to have him and others to be more efficient contributors.   I think that can happen.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:41:20 PM by bk8664 »

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2013, 01:15:31 PM »
it seems that the assumption is that phil will not improve.  he showed flashes last year and was playing hurt.  i think it's a safe better that he will be at least a little more efficient from the field, and he has as good a shot as any returner to make a big leap forward.

i also think that a 3 guard starting lineup is a look that lavin will show against certain opponents.  i feel like branch greene harrison and jordan all will average 23+ mpg and frontcourt minutes will be squeezed a little to accommodate.

Poison

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2013, 01:43:26 PM »
it seems that the assumption is that phil will not improve.  he showed flashes last year and was playing hurt.  i think it's a safe better that he will be at least a little more efficient from the field, and he has as good a shot as any returner to make a big leap forward.

i also think that a 3 guard starting lineup is a look that lavin will show against certain opponents.  i feel like branch greene harrison and jordan all will average 23+ mpg and frontcourt minutes will be squeezed a little to accommodate.

I hope that Pointer really works on his guard skills this summer. I'd like him to be that third guard. We need his defense, and rebounding. Harrison is good enough, and maybe Jordan is too, but I don't think Branch and Greene are good enough at anything to warrant them playing alongside another guard. We'd become really small, and mostly unable to shoot the ball.

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2013, 01:51:30 PM »
G- Branch
G- Jordan
F- Pointer
F- Sampson
F- Sanchez

Bring Harrison off the bench as a JR Smith type of player and start Obekpa over Pointer if our opponent has a bigger lineup.

IMO I dont think there is anyway that both D'lo and Phil dont start.

I dont like D'lo off the bench. The pro game is different and allows for more time and shot opportunities for everyone. Having said that I think he will come off the bench to start the season, mostly because of his suspension, the quotes he had about possibly not starting, and Lavs love for Phil.

Rysheed
Phil
Dom
Jakarr
Orlando

The reason I don't like D'Lo starting is sometimes he takes silly shots very early in the game (shooting a 3 off the opening tip) and that kind of sets the tone for our offense.  If we can establish a nice offensive flow off the bat with playmakers like Branch and Jordan in there then Harrison can slide in and play within the system effectively instead of feeling the burden of being the guy.  I'd still give him 30 minutes a game but I'd prefer it be off the bench.  But yeah, Lavin does seem to have a Phil Greene fetish so who knows.

You guys need to let that Harrison shot off the tip go.  I thought it was a fantastic shot.  Anytime that kid gets an open, set shot...it's a good shot.  We had one of the worst halfcourt teams in the COUNTRY.  Only Harrison shot over 30% from three.  Don't think for a second the staff hasn't engrained it in Harrison's mind to shoot without hesitation anytime he gets an open look.  I think pullup treys in secondary transition will become a big part of his arsenal...just like it has for countless other stars.

Harrison has to start and play 30 mpg IMO.  You really never now with Lavin, but I think the starters will be:

Branch
Harrison
Pointer
Sampson
Sanchez

Maybe Branch was guaranteed a starting spot by coach?  I know I probably would have.  Greene will likely start when we run smaller lineups, and could even beat out Branch to start alongside Harrison.  I think it is fairly safe to say that Obekpa will come off the bench.  He's has the maturity and ability to make an immediate impact that you look for in a sub. 

Three safest bets to start:  Harrison, Sanchez, and Sampson.  Branch, Jordan, Greene, Obekpa, and Dom round out a very nice eight-man core. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 01:58:34 PM by Marillac »

boo3

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2013, 01:57:35 PM »
 Branch or Jordan?

Marillac

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 02:00:07 PM »
Branch or Jordan?
Meant Jordan

desco80

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2013, 02:04:08 PM »
G- Branch
G- Jordan
F- Pointer
F- Sampson
F- Sanchez

Bring Harrison off the bench as a JR Smith type of player and start Obekpa over Pointer if our opponent has a bigger lineup.

IMO I dont think there is anyway that both D'lo and Phil dont start.

I dont like D'lo off the bench. The pro game is different and allows for more time and shot opportunities for everyone. Having said that I think he will come off the bench to start the season, mostly because of his suspension, the quotes he had about possibly not starting, and Lavs love for Phil.

Rysheed
Phil
Dom
Jakarr
Orlando

The reason I don't like D'Lo starting is sometimes he takes silly shots very early in the game (shooting a 3 off the opening tip) and that kind of sets the tone for our offense.  If we can establish a nice offensive flow off the bat with playmakers like Branch and Jordan in there then Harrison can slide in and play within the system effectively instead of feeling the burden of being the guy.  I'd still give him 30 minutes a game but I'd prefer it be off the bench.  But yeah, Lavin does seem to have a Phil Greene fetish so who knows.

You guys need to let that Harrison shot off the tip go.  I thought it was a fantastic shot.  Anytime that kid gets an open, set shot...it's a good shot.  We had one of the worst halfcourt teams in the COUNTRY.  Only Harrison shot over 30% from three.  Don't think for a second the staff hasn't engrained it in Harrison's mind to shoot without hesitation anytime he gets an open look.  I think pullup treys in secondary transition will become a big part of his arsenal...just like it has for countless other stars.

Harrison has to start and play 30 mpg IMO.  You really never now with Lavin, but I think the starters will be:

Branch
Harrison
Pointer
Sampson
Sanchez

Maybe Branch was guaranteed a starting spot by coach?  I know I probably would have.  Greene will likely start when we run smaller lineups, and could even beat out Branch to start alongside Harrison.  I think it is fairly safe to say that Obekpa will come off the bench.  He's has the maturity and ability to make an immediate impact that you look for in a sub.

Open transition 3s are fine.   Especially if you have a teammate in position to rebound.  That's a good shot, Dlo should fire away.  But some of his other shot selections were scary. 
People overrate Harrison's shooting ability.   The comparisons to Mullin last year were absurd.   He's not even Russ Smith or Cotton, let alone Chris Mullin. 
We talk about him like he's a lethal shooter.  He's not.
He's a good shooter, and he's also a crafty scorer in the midrange, and very good at getting to the foul line.

Harrison is a better scorer than he is pure shooter.   But since day 1 our fans have treated him like a great shooter, and he's not.   Weren't you the one who pointed out his "push shot" Marillac?

ras

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2013, 02:10:41 PM »
Questioning why Phil played the most minutes on the team is not being a Phil hater. I like Phil, but see him more as a role player. Usually the most minutes is for the best player. Who here thinks Phil was our best player? Admittedly Branch didnt play 1st semester and then got injured. DLO had his problems, then got suspended. If DLO gets his act together and we have a healthy Branch ,w the addition of Jorden,what will Phils role be? Im sure he will get his share of minutes, but it shouldnt be starters minutes unless he significantly improves and earns it. Regarding DLO, he will have a much better supporting cast and should look to pass if double teamed, he shouldnt be forcing things.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 02:12:54 PM by ras »

Poison

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2013, 02:16:40 PM »
Questioning why Phil played the most minutes on the team is not being a Phil hater. I like Phil, but see him more as a role player. Usually the most minutes is for the best player. Who here thinks Phil was our best player? Admittedly Branch didnt play 1st semester and then got injured. DLO had his problems, then got suspended. If DLO gets his act together and we have a healthy Branch ,w the addition of Jorden,what will Phils role be? Im sure he will get his share of minutes, but it shouldnt be starters minutes unless he significantly improves and earns it. Regarding DLO, he will have a much better supporting cast and should look to pass if double teamed, he shouldnt be forcing things.

He's gotta play the 2/3 this year. As a point guard he's not making plays. That's the major thing w him. He's not without talent, but he's basically been playing out of position for 2 seasons. Hopefully, he'll continue to work on his dribble drive game, and ten foot j, and he'll find his way into games. He hustles too, and that sets an example.