The crowd at our last home game

• 77 replies
Re: The crowd at our last home game
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2013, 01:05:12 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmm so Catholic school Providence that has been very bad in recent years turned out an amazing crowd tonight which stood and was loud during critical portions of the game tonight.  Looked like young AND old stood including and especially in what looked like the season ticket holder section.

Wondering what the next excuse from our overly-politically correct season ticket holders will be as to why they can't get off their you-know-what to make some noise??

PC fans complain about attendance and crowd enthusiasm more than we do. There's a thread on the prov board calling last games crowd the best all year. They're very hot, have recruiting momentum, and didn't suspend Cotton or council prior to the game.

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2013, 03:53:14 PM »
Providence also knows how to market...4 tickets, 4 hot dogs, 4 sodas at a major venue for 40 bucks. Can't beat that. SJ doesn't even come close to matching that kind of incentive. Our marketing team sleeps all day as other schools come up with good ideas to draw fans. Also, here's a major thing: Providence is NOT a commuter school. They have a much more tight-knit community of people who live on campus. Our kids go to class and go home 30-60 minutes away.

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2013, 04:08:40 PM »
Providence also knows how to market...4 tickets, 4 hot dogs, 4 sodas at a major venue for 40 bucks. Can't beat that. SJ doesn't even come close to matching that kind of incentive. Our marketing team sleeps all day as other schools come up with good ideas to draw fans. Also, here's a major thing: Providence is NOT a commuter school. They have a much more tight-knit community of people who live on campus. Our kids go to class and go home 30-60 minutes away.

They only have a student body of around 4,000. Difference is that there are no pro teams in the city so they are the hottest ticket in town. But again, they normally dont have great crowds like they did last night.

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2013, 04:09:52 PM »

They only have a student body of around 4,000. Difference is that there are no pro teams in the city so they are the hottest ticket in town. But again, they normally dont have great crowds like they did last night.

There were no students there last night as they were on Spring Break.

« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2013, 04:11:56 PM »

There were no students there last night as they were on Spring Break.

There were a good amount of students there

« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2013, 04:59:04 PM »
maybe part of the reason pc fans came out is that st johns is now an opponent worth seeing.  i think we have a nice little rivalry developing to be honest.

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2013, 12:00:12 AM »
Yes they had momentum and a winning streak going.  So did we and our fans sat on their a$$ and didn't show up several home games. 

There is no excuse you can give me as to why our fans can't get loud other than the fact that our fans simply suck and a culture hasn't been set up at either the Garden or Carnesecca for our fan base to get rowdy.  We also have some fans that believe "sucks" is offensive.  Those folks don't help our cause either.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2013, 01:52:08 AM »
Yes they had momentum and a winning streak going.  So did we and our fans sat on their a$$ and didn't show up several home games. 

There is no excuse you can give me as to why our fans can't get loud other than the fact that our fans simply suck and a culture hasn't been set up at either the Garden or Carnesecca for our fan base to get rowdy.  We also have some fans that believe "sucks" is offensive.  Those folks don't help our cause either.

We were coming off getting blown out by L'Ville, Cuse, and Pitt. Providence recently beat Cincy and killed ND with a ton of momentum coming into our game. They were trending up, we were trending down. Are you really mad at SJ fans for not making the major trip up there especially after our leading scorer was plucked? You have to realize we are a 16 win team extremely likely to end with that number, and we won't get a bye in the Big East tourney, so we have a great chance of getting bounced first round. That is a logical projection after losing your best player and your starting PG is still hurt. I think SJ fans can sense that this team was not for real after being pounded by G'Town twice, L'Ville, Cuse, Pitt, etc. That was before Harrison was off the team. Without him it's hard to see how we even keep it close against ND and Marquette at this point. I think it's very rarely the fans' fault...9 times out of 10 the only reason they won't show en mass is because the product is not worthy and it has been for 1 year in the past decade. So I ask you, how is this surprising?

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2013, 01:54:24 AM »
I'm not mad that our fans didn't make the trip, what I'm upset about is that when WE have big home games, our fans sit on their rearend, don't get up and get loud during critical portions of the game, and even mores many of them GET UPSET at those of us that do get up, get loud and try to create an atmosphere.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2013, 02:03:11 AM »
I'm not mad that our fans didn't make the trip, what I'm upset about is that when WE have big home games, our fans sit on their rearend, don't get up and get loud during critical portions of the game, and even mores many of them GET UPSET at those of us that do get up, get loud and try to create an atmosphere.

Well I do have to agree with you specifically about the quietness of our home crowds and how it's a very calm atmosphere. This happens at both MSG and CA. I have seen some guys on here saying "suck" is a bad word. Honestly that's ridiculous IMO. We are not a bunch of 8 year olds. There are only 2 reasons I think you notice the quiet and uninspired crowds. 1) Our crowds get a TON of older people at CA...probably at least 50% of the crowd looks over 50. At MSG for the big games against local rivals, the other team's fanbase just seems to overpower us i.e. Cuse, UConn, etc. 2) We don't have enough theme nights at games. One of the few games I really remember the fans being loud was for the blackout game vs. SC. Sometimes students need an excuse to put on a certain color shirt or paint themselves or whatever. Another reason IMO is because we really don't have many traditions...there has been no modeling on how crazy they should get. Look at Duke...they have the Cameron Krazies...students know going into Duke that they are expected to go nuts like that every game. What are our traditions? Can't think of any unique ones.

Foad

« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2013, 07:42:21 AM »
maybe part of the reason pc fans came out is that st johns is now an opponent worth seeing.

Yah, that and the special unicorn halftime show. PU has beaten SJ 13 of the last 17. PU fans go to SJ games for the same reason SJ fans go to St Francis games.

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2013, 07:57:09 AM »

that's because st john's may have dorms...but it still has a commuter school mentality.  the campus organizations are lazy and weak..and bite big ones.

thank god for the senior citizens who show up at the games...and you think fox is going to give us seven million dollars a year?

« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2013, 07:59:07 AM »
the bobble head promo with a hot dog and soda against USF filled the house. 

« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2013, 08:32:09 AM »
maybe part of the reason pc fans came out is that st johns is now an opponent worth seeing.

Yah, that and the special unicorn halftime show. PU has beaten SJ 13 of the last 17. PU fans go to SJ games for the same reason SJ fans go to St Francis games.
Totally disagree. PC fans really hated on Lavin for landing their top targets Sampson, Obekpa, and Sanchez. Since lavin / Cooley have been there, what's the record?  Last few years have been different and a real rivalry is possible of both teams keep getting better

« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2013, 01:05:32 PM »
Good to see 12500 at yesterday's even if they gave away tickets to first responders and and cyo teams.  This is a way to build a crowd for the future and with 20,000 seats they should be doing more of this next year for HS teams, cyo, and first responders.

Also, hopefully with Fox we have more late Saturday games, these saturday 12 noon games are tough.

« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »
Good to see 12500 at yesterday's even if they gave away tickets to first responders and and cyo teams.  This is a way to build a crowd for the future and with 20,000 seats they should be doing more of this next year for HS teams, cyo, and first responders.

Also, hopefully with Fox we have more late Saturday games, these saturday 12 noon games are tough.

Agree, they should do whatever it takes to fill as much of the Garden...create some buzz and capture a younger fan base for whom a SJ game will be a cheaper alternative (albeit not necessarily cheap) to a NYK game... 

« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2013, 02:48:26 PM »

Was the noon start because of TV or because the Knicks played later that night?

Moose

« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »

Was the noon start because of TV or because the Knicks played later that night?

Most noon starts are because of the Knicks/Rangers or a tv spot.
Remember who broke the Slice news