Johnnies or Red Storm

• 72 replies
Re: Johnnies or Red Storm
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2013, 08:49:27 AM »
Gee what happens when 'Nova plays arizona or kentucky (wildcats) lol

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2013, 08:52:19 AM »
Wow, memories. I do remember seeing Buster Poindexter's name on the marquee there often.
Johansen warmed up The Clash and The Who at Shea Stadium during the Clash's seminal Shea Stadium show in October, 1982.  I was around the edge of the outfield and second base area for the show - terrific memory...

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2013, 09:06:50 AM »

Its a risk we simply cannot take. 1,800 undergrads at a school 1,400 miles away that we might play in a closed practice scrimmage in the next 100 years...  It's much easier having 3 names, SJU & whatever an STJ is. 

« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2013, 10:02:52 AM »
Red Red Wine.  A Red Faced Drunkered can be the mascot
Or
The Redmen Indians Redskins Braves.  Same as above (Wow, That is really offensive....ITS A JOKE!!!!)

« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2013, 10:06:35 AM »

They don't share both names in common.

« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2013, 01:14:58 PM »
Wow, memories. I do remember seeing Buster Poindexter's name on the marquee there often.
Johansen warmed up The Clash and The Who at Shea Stadium during the Clash's seminal Shea Stadium show in October, 1982.  I was around the edge of the outfield and second base area for the show - terrific memory...

Yeah I had a ticket for that same lineup at Rich Stadium in Buffalo with my Cornell friends but had to give up the ticket when my folks decided to visit that weekend.  Wasn't that interested in the Who and saw the Clash a couple of other times so it's all good.  I don't think Johansen was playing that date. 

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2013, 08:18:34 PM »
Are website can be the realjohnnies.com kind of like the real Ghostbusters.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2013, 09:23:37 PM »
Bustin make me feel good.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2013, 10:05:41 PM »
Dont think the school wanna be associate wit the satanics, carm.

Got me thinkin the school probably don't wanna be associate wit the drag queens, either.

They only got half way there Carmine.  Was a big David Johansen fan in college and when I first moved to the city.  Was working at the Bottom Line when he used to hang out and was just starting his Buster Poindexter persona.  Never really got that one, though he was good in Scrooged.  ;)

David Jo was always a great concert and I liked the Buster Poindexter show as well.

« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2013, 10:40:22 PM »
Bustin make me feel good.

Many a man has spoken those words. 

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2013, 07:54:46 PM »
Redmen is NEVER coming back even if the NCAA dissolves and guys like the "Fighting Sioux"  of North
Dakota U. are again eligible for post season play. For the present, anyway, it is not an option.
The RedStorm is adequate but a bit of a mouthful. If anything, shrink it to StJ "storm" as some have suggested.
Most know we are red and white so the "Red" is superfluous, and all will always use the nickname Johnnies for quick reference anyway.
As for a mascot, a subject with which I am personally familiar, I don't know what you do but the bird is adequate as well; a 'bolt' would be really hard to explain and it would not get hugs from kids.  The Yankees and Giants do fairly well without a clown (they don't even have one on the team....well save for Victor) and that really is NYC. Like black sneakers in Boston, plain helmets at PSU and ND, and, at least for the first 100 years, no names on our jerseys, less is quite frequently more..........more traditional and classy.
Shorten the name, dump the mascot, put a 'bolt' on the cheerleaders. and let 'er rip.

« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2013, 11:56:34 AM »
From an outside perspective I always call you guys Johnnies and I've only seen you guys referred to as Johnnies or redmen in discussions among Georgetown fans. Never seen anyone refer to you guys as the red storm.

« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2013, 06:06:20 PM »
Well, we refer to you guys as Georgetown and never the "Hoyas" (or bulldogs) ; although, in 1985 someone here produced a buttons for the Championship game at MSG in 1985 that read, "Your Mothuh's a Hoya" which was pretty special. Everyone had more imagination in those days